• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[OT] Questions about the Seattle area

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Also, is it illegal to carry a fixed-blade knife in Washington?

I'm working on a book of knife laws across the state......

Knife Laws in Washington
RCW 9.41.250 -Dangerous Weapons
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250
(1) Every person who:
(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm (July 2011 law changed for suppressors)
is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

RCW 9.41.270 - Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

All Washington City Codes:
http://www.mrsc.org/Codes.aspx

State/City - Law Chapter - Legal Yes/No Folder Length - Wording edited to fit.

Washington - 9.41.250 9.41.270 - Yes None - See State Law. No Blade Length defined in WA Law.

Bainbridge Island - 9.10.040 Y < 3" - Carry any knife, sword, dagger or other cutting or stabbing instrument, with a blade of a length of three inches or more

Camas - 9.28.065 - Yes 3.5" - knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches in length

Cheny - 9A.07.020 - Yes ? - carry concealed upon his person any knife (other than an ordinary pocket knife)

Edmonds - 5.24.012 - Y <3.5" knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches

Ephrata - 9.22.020 - Y <4" with a blade of a length of four or more inches

Everett - 10.78.010 - Y <3" - Dangerous knife” means any knife having a blade more than three inches in length

Federal Way - 6-138 - Y <3" - knife, sword, dagger or other cutting or stabbing instrument, with a blade of a length of three inches or more

Lake Forest Park - 9.06.020 - Y ? - Weapons prohibited in the municipal courtroom with a blade length of three or longer.

Lynnwood - 10.52.020 - Y <3.5" - knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches

New Castle - 9.05.710 - premises where alcoholic beverages are dispensed a Knife with a blade, of a length of three inches or more

Normandy Park - 7.24.040 - carry or conceal any dagger, dirk, knife or other dangerous weapon

Sultan - 9.32.020 - Y <4" -having a blade longer than the length of four or more inches,

Seattle - 12A.14.010 - Y 3.5" - Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than (3 1/2") in length

Woodinville - 9.03.110 - Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises any knife with a blade of a length of three inches or more

WOD

I kind of know what he means, but I experienced it much more on the Eastside, (Bellevue, Redmond) than I did anywhere else. I do agree with others, that Everett is a bit seedy, but still, nowhere like say.. Cleveland, or Philly, or Chicago.

I do not have any info about knives, but just don't walk around woodcarving anything with a folding blade....

hermannr

On the knife situation...I think if we all would review the laws...OC in a sheath there are no restrictions...CC there are many restrictions, and your CPL does not remove them. Your CPL is strictly and specifically for a handgun, nothing else here...I think it was www.hangunlaw.us that has a chart of knife restrictions for all the states.

I know that a hunting knfe (fixed blade) in a sheath draws no questions for LE out here on the dry side, and I don't remember anything when I lived in Skagit Co either. I've never measured my hunting knife, (skinning blade, doesn't look like a normal knife) but I would bet the sheath is at least 6". Never been asked, but I always carry it openly too.

The laws here on OC are pretty good, (there are very few). Unlicensed OC is just fine, CPL is shall issue, $55.25 for 5 years at your local sheriff's office. Takes about 15 minutes and comes in the mail a few days later. (no more than 30) no special training required but do read the booklet they give you with WA firearm law.

Does it actally freeze and snow in Seattle (wet side) yes, occationally, and because it is occationally, they are not really prepared for it. Winter is cool and damp, summer is warm and dry...very nice climate. The last real Typhoon we had was Columbus day 1962.

As to the social "freeze" I would say that depends more on the person moving here than the people that are already here. "Chechakos all", everyone in WA is from somewhere else in their ancestry, if not personally.

Last edited:

()pen(arry

I moved back to Seattle about 3 months ago, and yes it is difficult to find people to hang out with on a regular basis. We do have regular open carry meets and many of us on here are willing to organize local get together, but I grew up here and i have found it incredibly tough to have regular hangouts even with people I knew growing up. And I'll be going to Dallas in a couple of weeks :) :) any recommended ranges or hangout spots? And i recommend you avoid everett like the plauge if you can.

I have a two friends (married couple) who both work for Boeing and live in Everett. They enjoy it *shrug*. I'll be there in July to look around. We're probably going to end up in Mukilteo.

As for ranges, my favorite place is Elm Fork (http://www.elmfork.com). It's a large, outdoor facility with lots of pistol space, 50- and 100-yard rifle ranges, skeet, and "tactical" areas for the Pretend Soldiers. I'm a regular at the 100-yard rifle range. There's also a great indoor place in Northeast Plano called The Bullet Trap. There's a place in Dallas proper called DFW Gun Range that a lot of people seem to like, but I'm personally not a fan of that joint (*COUGHCOUGHTSRACOUGHCOUGH*).

xxx.jakk.xxx

Welcome =]

Up here, I think that the "freeze" is more because a lot of people near the Seattle area are fast paced and can't be bothered to slow down and enjoy themselves. They usually need everything as quickly as possible so they tend to be rude, especially if you're used to some other states where people will just stop and chat at any time.

As for knife laws, it all depends on the area. As state previously Seattle is a no-no for 3 1/2" fixed blade, but some areas have much lesser laws. I know Port Orchard has the same definition for "Dangerous Knives" without the pesky code that limits the possession of them.

Seattle
SMC 12A.14.010 Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this chapter:

C. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having
a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.
SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:

B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous knife,
or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other than a
firearm; or

Port Orchard
9.36.010 Definitions.

(4) “Dangerous knife” means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade of more than three and one-half inches in length.

9.36.030 Unlawful use of weapons.
Repealed by Ord. 1890. (Ord. 1724 § 18, 1998).

So yeah, it really all depends on the area of the state. Seeing as how there aren't any RCWs (that I'm aware of) that limit the carry of "dangerous knives", the definition in our city does nothing.

Last edited:

jbone

If you come to Everett, or more North of you'll be near the New Cabelas opening April 19th. I look at places to live as being in tune with my lifestyle, big city dwelling is not going to happen. It's a short trip to dreaded liberal land if needed, and a far shorter more enjoyable trip the mountains, lakes, rivers I like to frequent for hunting fishing and gold panning from where I live now. Although I understand Woodinville is a nice place and close to good outdoor shooting and 4x4 areas?

DCKilla

If you come to Everett, or more North of you'll be near the New Cabelas opening April 19th. I look at places to live as being in tune with my lifestyle, big city dwelling is not going to happen. It's a short trip to dreaded liberal land if needed, and a far shorter more enjoyable trip the mountains, lakes, rivers I like to frequent for hunting fishing and gold panning from where I live now. Although I understand Woodinville is a nice place and close to good outdoor shooting and 4x4 areas?
+1, I've lived in Arlington for 2 years and worked in Everett. Jbone speaks the truth. You might want to look at Arlington, Marysville, Monroe, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, and/or Stanwood.

amlevin

+1, I've lived in Arlington for 2 years and worked in Everett. Jbone speaks the truth. You might want to look at Arlington, Marysville, Monroe, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, and/or Stanwood.

Granted these are nice areas NOW. Unfortunately, as the Seattle area gets more expensive there are many less desirable elements moving into the area. Marysville has a growing drug and gang problem with a Police force that doesn't have a clue. More and more of Marysville is becoming "Rental" with more apartments (cheap) and foreclosure homes that are turned into rentals. Almost every neighborhood has a house that's rented for a few months, gets numerous visits at all times of the day that last 5 minutes or so, and then the renter moves on. The home is trashed and sits empty until the next "Dealer" rents it.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

His "Seattle Freeze" may be his word for the prophylactic used by the locals against Californication.

I went to Advanced Reactor Technology school at PSNS and had to be careful of my study hours for the social whirl, knapsacking in the Olympics, crewing a hot sail boat, drinking and eating through the City.