• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[OT] Questions about the Seattle area

()pen(arry

Wife and I are seriously considering moving to the North-of-Seattle area (thinking Mukilteo or Everett) in 2013. While I have a couple friends there, and my sister and her family are moving at the same time, I've heard the Seattle Freeze isn't a myth. Can anyone corroborate?

Also, is it illegal to carry a fixed-blade knife in Washington?

sudden valley gunner

Wife and I are seriously considering moving to the North-of-Seattle area (thinking Mukilteo or Everett) in 2013. While I have a couple friends there, and my sister and her family are moving at the same time, I've heard the Seattle Freeze isn't a myth. Can anyone corroborate?

"Freeze?" Our winters are fairly mild up here.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Have you ever lived in NY or California?

()pen(arry

Okay, the misunderstanding is a little encouraging.

What has been called the "Seattle Freeze" to me is the social tendency of residents of Seattle to be unwelcoming of newcomers. People have told me that they went six months or more without making any real friends after moving to the Seattle area, in marked contrast with other places they've lived, such as various cities in Texas and Colorado.

()pen(arry

Washington has met our quota of NY and CA personnel. Sorry but you will not be allowed to move here. :rolleyes:

And Coloradans are tired of Texans, and Texans are tired of Oklahomans, and Mississippisspiipiipissipsisispispispipsispispisians are tired of Alabamans, and New Mexicans are tired of Old Mexicans, and on and on.

So I'm considering moving to Seattle. Anyone know anything about this "Seattle Freeze"? What about carrying fixed-blade knives?

massivedesign

Fixed blade in Seattle you are stuck to 3.5" or shorter.

As far as the Seattle Freeze I have never heard of it. I think it's going to depend on where you move and how social YOU are. Seattle is a very social place, but there is no welcoming party.

TechnoWeenie

Lots of hippies.. If you have weed, you'll find friends....

There is NO 'southern hospitality', but once you get outside the major areas, you'll find that the people get more genuine, and are willing to help each other out....

Seattle is a younger,hipper (read:liberal) city, that I would equate to Austin.....

decklin

This is a high military area. They are used to strangers. Beware of the drivers here, though. They are worse than anywhere else. To make matters worse they are so completely oblivious to it.

TechnoWeenie

Beware of the drivers here, though. They are worse than anywhere else. To make matters worse they are so completely oblivious to it.

O M F G. You're not kidding.

Asian women drivers........ Be prepared....

In addition, you'd think that having wet roads for 8 months of the year would mean people could drive in it, right? God no..... and heaven help you if it snows...... flurries=2 hour delay. Any accumulation = closed schools... followed be 25 y/o soccer moms wrecking on the highway because they think that their SUV (even if it's just 2WD) means they can still drive like an idiot, even with inclement weather...

Dave in Edmonds

First off, Everett and Mukilteo are two VERY different things. Mukilteo is fairly upscale and almost entirely residential. Everett, just a few miles north, has a lot of seedy areas that I wouldn't recommend even driving through, much less living in. I live in Edmonds, just south of Mukilteo. Edmonds is very similar to Muk. I'd recommend either.

As far as "The Freeze" goes, yes it exists. I've had numerous folks that have moved here tell me that they've experienced it. Most Seattleites are at least superficially nice. The Freeze usually refers to the difficulty of getting close to anyone. Hippies? I haven't seen any around here in 20 years or so.

If you have any more specific questions about south Snohomish county, feel free to PM me.

sudden valley gunner

A few of the locals are like that but you get that anywhere, I was born in Seattle. Many of people now living there don't have roots that go back very far. So some are resistant to the lifestyle change that many of the outsiders have brought with them. You won't have a problem just ignore the dicks.

amlevin

Fixed blade in Seattle you are stuck to 3.5" or shorter.

Knife carry laws are pretty much local and can vary.

Seattke Muni Code states:

"C. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having
a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

D. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a
blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the
handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife,
hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package,
dispenser or shaving appliance."

(I guess that makes my 7.5" Ka Bar a no-no on both counts while strolling the streets of Seattle)

Knife laws are not subject to the same preemption as firearms here in WA so the result is a whole mess of local laws. Be Careful!

BTW, if using the affirmative defense of "I'm Hunting", the Seattle Code does allow that exemption but it also uses the word "immediately" so you better have a license and a "tag" for what your hunting. Not too much "legal game" in Seattle but there is a lot of "thinning of the herd" that should be done.

acmariner99

I can relate

I moved back to Seattle about 3 months ago, and yes it is difficult to find people to hang out with on a regular basis. We do have regular open carry meets and many of us on here are willing to organize local get together, but I grew up here and i have found it incredibly tough to have regular hangouts even with people I knew growing up. And I'll be going to Dallas in a couple of weeks :) :) any recommended ranges or hangout spots? And i recommend you avoid everett like the plauge if you can.

reillo584

Lots of hippies.. If you have weed, you'll find friends .....

Hippies? I haven't seen any around here in 20 years or so.

I think TechnoWeenie refers here to what I prefer to call the "sunshine and rainbow" people... The ones that think that EVERYTHING in this world can be resolve by sitting down and try to talk and understand better our fellow citizens ... :banghead:Even though that sounds good in paper, we know that unfortunately it does not work like that every time...:rolleyes: Sorry, I don't have the time sit-down and try to figure out why people act the way they act... :lol: