• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw this on my bus today... New WCF ad campaign?

Metalhead47

aefdd964-15e3-d04e.jpg

:banghead: and man did it take some effort to resist the urge to properly file it under T.

Iirc there was talk a while back of getting a billboard, but it was deemed too expensive. Maybe some ads like this would be an alternative? I hate to see this kinda garbage go unanswered before a captive audience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amzbrady

This is probably directed at libtards due to their lack of common sense. Most probably dont know they arent blow guns and they need to keep them out of the mouths.

sudden valley gunner

That's sick these folks are purely demented.

Outright lie about something as serious as suicide, I recently loss someone very close to me he committed suicide and the firearm wouldn't have changed that.

Canada's gun laws did nothing to lower their suicide rate.

I guess we can make up our own statistics, women with a vagina are 5 times more likely to be raped.

amlevin

If successful, what next.

So when all guns are out of the home that means suicide rates will drop by a factor of 5?

Did they ever hear of "Pills", "Plastic Bags", "Razor Blades", etc? The rates for suicide will just go up for those methods. In time we won't have any pain med's, Dry Cleaner bags, or be able to shave using a blade razor. Anyone want to then bet that people will still commit suicide?

Who knows, maybe we'll be lucky and a bunch of WCF members will do themselves in thus doing society a big favor.

jt59

I'll take a slightly contrarian view on this ad as good advice....and assuming that this has caught my attention enough out of the sea of information and marketing that I am bombarded with to actually give it more than 10 seconds of thought.

First, if the ad assumes that you have a gun in your home...and now, I am "thinking twice,".. I don't know anyone in my home that is thinking about committing suicide....therefore, Gun in home OK.

Second, say I am thinking about getting a gun in my home for self defense, or target shooting....So, again, "thinking twice," I still don't know anyone in my home that is thinking about committing suicide....therefore, Gun in home OK....go to Cabella's (or Nick).

If I had a notion (depression, statements, suddenly giving away all their keepsakes) of anyone in my family thinking about committing suicide, I would encourage them to seek professional counciling, because I know (and have been there) that there is nothing, nothing.... that I can really do to prevent it, if someone is serious about offing themselves....and since, being a responsible gun owner, no one in my home has access to any to my guns....I come to the same conclusion....Gun in home, OK.

As a marketing message, I think this ad has a very narrow focus and that 99 percent of the people reading this would likely internalize it and say, "well, that's not me" and go back to Angry Birds on their I-Pad.

I am happy to let them spend their limited money and resources on a tiny demographic, and pat themselves on the back for "real change".

...and then there is this... http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/emstrauma/injury/pubs/icpg/DOH530090Firear.pdf

an intiative based on an apparent .0008 per 100,000 incident frequency rate...My 7 year old grandaughter was asked in her doctors office if they had "guns" in the house. She responded, "mine or my dad's"? (they're in Montana).

Last edited:

Ruby

Ignorant and closed minded!

I saw the same sign on a bus on Wednesday down in the tunnel at King Street Station. I was on my way home from work. It really made me angry and I said out loud, "That is not true." SVG, condolences on the loss of your loved one.

Maybe a sign like, Get rid of all your guns and have 0 chance of surviving a violent home invasion.

On a better note, a young lady at work wants to get a gun and learn to shoot. I talked to her yesterday and also told her about OCDO. There is a wealth of information here that she can learn from; I certainly did when I was new to guns. We are going shooting at Champion in May, on my birthday. A friend of hers recently experienced a break in; the person was not at home at the time; this incident has made her think about her own safety. She also wants to get a CPL. It thrills me down to my toes whenever a woman decides to take responsibility for her own protection. She understands that the police will not get there in time.

Metalhead47

So when all guns are out of the home that means suicide rates will drop by a factor of 5?

Did they ever hear of "Pills", "Plastic Bags", "Razor Blades", etc? The rates for suicide will just go up for those methods. In time we won't have any pain med's, Dry Cleaner bags, or be able to shave using a blade razor. Anyone want to then bet that people will still commit suicide?

Who knows, maybe we'll be lucky and a bunch of WCF members will do themselves in thus doing society a big favor.

Surprised no one's yet mentioned Japan where the suicide rate is astronomical, but there are NO guns...

MKEgal

jt59 said:
My 7 year old grandaughter was asked in her doctors office if they had "guns" in the house. She responded, "mine or my dad's"? (they're in Montana).
LOL!
Good for her, and her folks.
Though even in Montana they apparently need to explain to her that some things aren't talked about with certain people.

Doctors don't need to know about guns in the home any more than they need to know about bleach in the home or a pool in the back yard or a child car seat in the car. If s/he wants to give safety advice, it can be given with or without knowing if such a condition currently exists. If the condition were to exist in the future, the advice might be remembered.

"These are some common household hazards, & ways to prevent problems arising from them" can be standard, doesn't require prying into things they don't need to know about, & can be accomplished by a brochure with pictures & brief descriptions given to every family that's new to the practice.

sudden valley gunner

People look at the fact that by percentage, most suicides use guns and then assume its due to having the gun.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/index.shtml

Removing the gun will only result in drugs as the second most common taking the top spot.

It's like saying x amount of suicides jump off bridges. Get rid of bridges and no more suicides... Dumb

Exactly .

According to their logic we need to get rid of food because some people die of food poisoning.

Or get rid of parents they kill over 2000 children a year, especially mothers, since they seem to do it at a rate 4 times higher than men when acting alone.

How about we get rid of roads because most people who die in traffic accidents do so while on one.

Of course nothing about ceasefire is logical.

Stanley

Exactly .

According to their logic we need to get rid of food because some people die of food poisoning.

Or get rid of parents they kill over 2000 children a year, especially mothers, since they seem to do it at a rate 4 times higher than men when acting alone.

How about we get rid of roads because most people who die in traffic accidents do so while on one.

Of course nothing about ceasefire is logical.

I can prove that everyone that breathes will die.

So... Breathing should be illegal!!!!!!!!! :lol:

hermannr

I would say firearms present in the home reduces the chance of suicide. No better way to blow off stress than to shoot the hell out of something, even just targets, at the gun range!

I know a Psychiatrist in BC (Canada, he is originally from South Africa) that would agree with you on this.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Serial Misinformation

I saw the same sign on a bus on Wednesday down in the tunnel at King Street Station. I was on my way home from work. It really made me angry and I said out loud, "That is not true." SVG, condolences on the loss of your loved one.

Maybe a sign like, Get rid of all your guns and have 0 chance of surviving a violent home invasion.

On a better note, a young lady at work wants to get a gun and learn to shoot. I talked to her yesterday and also told her about OCDO. There is a wealth of information here that she can learn from; I certainly did when I was new to guns. We are going shooting at Champion in May, on my birthday. A friend of hers recently experienced a break in; the person was not at home at the time; this incident has made her think about her own safety. She also wants to get a CPL. It thrills me down to my toes whenever a woman decides to take responsibility for her own protection. She understands that the police will not get there in time.

These types of campaigns reinforce what I continue to call 'serial misinformation'. It continues a false narrative that the media perpetuates and reinforces ignorant persons misconceptions of gun owners and guns.

jt59

Hey Ruby,

Hope you are well.... here is a link that your friend may find interesting and informational as she begins her journey.....some really good reasoning and info...

http://www.corneredcat.com/

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I was sitting in the ferry line at Fauntleroy and saw one of these signs on the bus.

I thought to myself.....motorcycles......we need to ban motorcycles from the home. Because people who keep them in the home or bedroom are far more likely to kill themselves. They start them up, then completely forget to turn them off when they are lying in bed watching TV...........

Far more dangerous than a gun in the house.

Last edited:

jt59

Cats need to be banned...they will steal a babies breath.

Contrary to the popular myth busting on this, attracted to the "milk breath" on an infant, years ago, I found our 9 lb tabby cat sitting on my new daughters chest in her crib, nose stuck in her mouth, purring.....and the cat discovered the meaning of "dead cat bounce". So, I know it must be true!

Later when I began investing in the stock market, my broker spoke of the "dead cat bounce" on some bargain stock like BOA when it hit 4.75 and I was confused....BOA has survived for now, but not so much for the tabby.