• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw this on my bus today... New WCF ad campaign?

skiingislife725

@Ruby: jt59 mentioned the Cornered Cat (awesome resource for anyone, not just women). And on that note, I also wanted to mention "limatunes" on facebook for articles/"limalife" on youtube for videos...she's another another good down-to-earth resource. You've probably already come across her, but figured I'd mention her anyways, she's awesome.

Ruby

Thanks guys, I will pass on the info to her.

On another note, another sign that has made me nervous (and I saw it on a bus), is this "See something, say something." Shades of Hitler. That's exactly what happened in Germany. Neighbor turned against neighbor and turned each other in. I wonder what would have happened had everyone stood together against the Nazis. But the problem was, IIRC, Hitler disarmed them first. Of course we have nothing to worry about here, Obama would NEVER do something like that!

trevorthebusdriver

Thanks guys, I will pass on the info to her.

On another note, another sign that has made me nervous (and I saw it on a bus), is this "See something, say something." Shades of Hitler. That's exactly what happened in Germany. Neighbor turned against neighbor and turned each other in. I wonder what would have happened had everyone stood together against the Nazis. But the problem was, IIRC, Hitler disarmed them first. Of course we have nothing to worry about here, Obama would NEVER do something like that!

Wow, that's a little bit tin hat. They just mean if you see a bomb or suspicious package, tell someone.

Ruby

Wow, that's a little bit tin hat. They just mean if you see a bomb or suspicious package, tell someone.

Not tin hat at all. They are encouraging people to spy on their neighbors and report what they see. Seems innocent enough NOW. What about Hitler's, oops, Obama's youth corps?!? IIRC, the youth in this country are, or soon will be, REQUIRED to serve 2 years, not in the military, but in a youth corps.

Maybe what you said about a bomb or suspicious package is what they mean, maybe not. We are under constant video surveillance just about anywhere we go and supposedly our phones have been or are being wire tapped without our knowledge or consent. I have nothing to hide, I just don't think the government needs to know everything I do and it seems to me that that is where we are headed. I see these things as infringements on my liberty, part of which is my right to privacy, which the government is doing it's dammdest to do away with.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Not tin hat at all. They are encouraging people to spy on their neighbors and report what they see. Seems innocent enough NOW. What about Hitler's, oops, Obama's youth corps?!? IIRC, the youth in this country are, or soon will be, REQUIRED to serve 2 years, not in the military, but in a youth corps.

Comparing Hitlers Youth Corp to Israels mandatory 2 year service commitment, or the past Youth Conservation Corp seems a bit disingenuous to me. The US YCC program gave us much of our National Park system and hiking trail system. Took kids off the street and taught them a lot. If the kids had to serve two years in the military similar Israels system, I wouldn't compare it to Hitlers Youth Corp. at all.

Germany and China had totalitarian Political systems in place and a disarmed public. (Completely opposites of Israel and the US ) When we reach that point, I will start to worry about the Youth Corps.

amlevin

These types of campaigns reinforce what I continue to call 'serial misinformation'. It continues a false narrative that the media perpetuates and reinforces ignorant persons misconceptions of gun owners and guns.

So why do the purveyors of "serial misinformation" have such great success at having their message accepted? Yes, the News Media delivers it for groups like WCF but why aren't those on the other side as successful in the battle of messages?

I hold that if there were two articles, side by side, in a newspaper with one pro gun and one anti gun, the general public would be more willing to accept the anti message. It appears that the "anti's" have found some connection to the general public that those organizations considered pro gun haven't achieved yet. It's a lot like any story from the Mid-East telling of another series of rocket attacks on Israel by Palestinian Militants in Gaza. Israel always seems to be condemned for defending themselves while the Palestinians are considered the victims.

Maybe we, as gun owners and 2A rights supporters, should buy some TV Stations and Newspapers.

Jayd1981

Newspapers are a dead media. I think the best way to normalize guns is how we are currently doing it. Show responsible people own guns too. Also I would say don't keep the fact you own guns from co-workers and others. People at work know I shoot competively and own a lot of different guns. I also invite co-workers and other aquantences to go shooting all the time. I bring out a lot of different guns to let them try, and I will pay for their ammo the first time I take them shooting. It may cost me 20 - 50 in ammo for them, but I have not had a single person go shooting with me and not enjoy the experience. I've had a few friends actually start open carrying after talking to them, but more often after discussion they will become more receptive to carrying but not want the attention of open carrying. If each of us brings one person to our side, that would have a huge impact.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So why do the purveyors of "serial misinformation" have such great success at having their message accepted? Yes, the News Media delivers it for groups like WCF but why aren't those on the other side as successful in the battle of messages?

I hold that if there were two articles, side by side, in a newspaper with one pro gun and one anti gun, the general public would be more willing to accept the anti message. It appears that the "anti's" have found some connection to the general public that those organizations considered pro gun haven't achieved yet. It's a lot like any story from the Mid-East telling of another series of rocket attacks on Israel by Palestinian Militants in Gaza. Israel always seems to be condemned for defending themselves while the Palestinians are considered the victims.

Maybe we, as gun owners and 2A rights supporters, should buy some TV Stations and Newspapers.

I don't believe that they are having great success. The latest polling that I saw show's more and more American's are in favor of guns for self defense, more and more American's are carrying for self defense with a CCW and more and more American's are buying guns in record numbers. The Mainstream Media undoubtedly carries the water bucket for the anti's yet authors like Workman, Lott and the Examiner bloggers have had great success in delivering facts over the past decade.

Record low favor handgun ban.

Last edited:

Ruby

Gogo, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I think Ceasefire would like us to THINK that they are having great success, but I don't believe that that is the case, and maybe that is the reason for the new ad campaign. These people are not openminded. I saw another ad of theirs today INSIDE the bus. It said that with a gun in your home, there is a 22X greater chance of killing a family member or friend versus an intruder. Really?!? Where do they come up with these numbers?!? They must be just making them up as they go. I think they are funny and pathetic at the same time. I wonder what they plan to do when a gun or knife wielding criminal breaks into THEIR home.

amlevin

Please Mr. burglar will you hang on A minute the cops are on the way but they are really busy and will be here shortly.

This wasn't the attitude of a North Bend homeowner Friday night. From the news articles I read, he did it right. Retreated just enough and gave warning, staying safe all the time. As a result, the intruder is dead and police are telling the media "he did it right".

jbone

I saw that on an Everett Transit bus today.

Why is transit taking a stance on a political/social issue, it's not their place right?

Metalhead47

I saw that on an Everett Transit bus today.

Why is transit taking a stance on a political/social issue, it's not their place right?

They aren't. As I recall they can't really refuse advertising except for very specific reasons. Gov't agency, free speech & all that. They'd be just as obligated to put up a bunch of pro-gun adds as long as the bill was paid.

jbone

...They'd be just as obligated to put up a bunch of pro-gun adds as long as the bill was paid.

Be nice to see just that! Washington gun rights organization's fronting the cost to post adds on the buses in the same areas right after the Cease rights sign times runs out, and come down.

Metalhead47

Be nice to see just that! Washington gun rights organization's fronting the cost to post adds on the buses in the same areas right after the Cease rights sign times runs out, and come down.

Why wait? Nothing that says they can't be up there at the same time. That was the whole point of my post. If enough of us pooled our resources, we might be able to put up some ads of our own.

Metalhead47

Can you find out how much they cost I'd contribute a bit to the cause.

Since I'm a transit employee, I'm probably not allowed to take out advertising myself, or make the necessary phone calls. Metro, given its size, would probably be too expensive. But CT, Everett Transit, maybe Pierce or Intercity might be small enough to be in the realm of possibility.

massivedesign

What transit company was this??

Per the King county Metro Advertising policies here: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/am/advertising/pdf/tran_adv_policy_011212_001.pdf
6.2 Prohibited Advertising Content: Advertising is prohibited on or in Transit Facilities
and Transit Vehicles if it includes any ofthe following content:
6.2.2 Prohibited Products, Services or Activities. Any advertising that (i) promotes
or depicts the sale, rental, or use of, participation in, or images of the following
products, services or activities; or (ii) that uses braud names, trademarks,
slogans or other material that are identifiable with such products, services or
activities:
(c) Firearms. Firearms, ammunition or other firearms-related
products.

Well, the WA Cease fire ad is all about the USE of the firearm.... How is that NOT violating the policy?

Last edited: