• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ung vs. Zimmerman

Kevin108

A thought on Zimmerman following Martin:

How do you handle things in your neighborhood? Do you ignore everything and hope for the best? Do you call the police for every little episode of JDLR you see?

I live in a quiet neighborhood but, like most of you, I wouldn't have to go far to get into a less-reputable area. I've seen a map of my city with the crime hotspots indicated by red dots. Anywhere I've ever lived, if I saw something suspicious - a car I don't recognize or a person doing unusual things - I've made it unmistakably obvious that I was aware of and interested in them.

What keeps a neighborhood from succumbing to crime? I like to think it's involvement.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I was an elected HOA Pres through a disaster, Hurricane Hugo, 1989. The changes wrought by the recovery from the damage to the neighborhood ended the HOA and the attractive quality of the neighborhood.

The on point story. I was awakened at 0300 by the sound of large engines at high idle in my cul-de-sac. When I investigated, I met my Chief of Police Roddy Perry at a drug cooker's house that was being cleaned up by hazardous materials workers. When I told him that I was surprised that such could go on just out of sight of my front door, he responded that I needed to be a good nosy neighbor.

In 1993 the state became shall-issue and I started carrying a gun outside of my curtilage(open carry is still prohibited). The homeowner of the kitchen-lab had already gone away. The chemist-pusher was still pending trial, much to the dismay of the older ladies in the neighborhood. He carefully intimidated them. In consultation with the PD I ostentatiously openly carried my sidearm in my cul-de-sac. The dummy black-and-white was parked in front of my townhouse. My call for a unit got loud response. The cooker was still free when I divorced and moved to a gated community.

Read up on the broken-window theory. Read Ch. Reuben Greenberg's Let's Take Back Our Streets. Chief Perry taught, "Don't lose the street."

BionicRooster

Now as for the media they proclaim from the rooftops if it is a minority being accosted but don't say a peep if it is the other way around. Also the DOJ will prosecute white on black crime but not black on white. Look at this article about a 13 year old boy that was lit on fire by two minority kids. http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/when-racism-doesnt-make-news/ Also the (current occupant of the oval office) called for an full investigation of the Zimmerman case but didn't mention the other one. Hmmm seems odd that the president would choose to get involved with one and not the other!

I just stumbled into this thread, and was surprised to see you post the link to that story.

I have heard a lot about it, not because it was [briefly] in our news, but I have known the victim's parents for over 15 years.

It is sad to see how much the media plays a part in convicting an otherwise innocent man protecting himself, yet 2 black teens(15 or 16) setting a white teen(13yrs old) is not considered a "hate crime"? Come on now, what kind of one-sided bull crap is that?!?

I have never in my life been racist. I fully believe a person should be judged by their actions. Simple as that.

paramedic70002

Zimmerman's father seems to corroborate that he drew AFTER being beaten:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/15368941...lls-sons-side-of-the-story/?playlist_id=87485

But let's assume otherwise. Zimmerman draws his gun on Trayvon. Trayvon then punches Zimmerman in the nose, straddles him, beats him in the face further, and bashes his head into the sidewalk for a full minute, all the while Zimmerman is holding his gun and pointing it at Trayvon. Finally Zimmerman fires. Does this seem likely, or even logical?

TOF

Police Departments in several communities where I have resided helped establish Neighborhood Watch programs. They have typically encouraged citizens to get involved by monitoring their area and reporting suspicious activities. The SO in my current location has recently established such a program. I might point out that the last 3 times I am aware of the SO being contacted over the past year regarding burglary in progress (lights coming on in a “Vacant” cabin) it took several hours (up to 24) for them to respond. In the 24 hour delay case I was asked by the SO if I felt comfortable entering my friend’s cabin to see if someone was there. I said I would but would be doing so with pistol in hand. They said go get them so I, with a friend, did. Fortunately they had departed during the 24 hour delay. Given that we thought a transient was staying in the cabin normally vacant during winter there was a good possibility they were still there which the SO was fully aware of.

With the above background, I believe the actions of Zimmerman were well within his rights as a citizen and his duties as an active member of a Neighborhood Watch program.

I, as with the rest of you, do not know specifics of the last 2 minutes of Trayvon’s life. I will leave final judgment to the legal system which hopefully will not be unduly influenced by Politics.

rushcreek2

Annoying another person is not generally a crime. Assault & battery is a crime.

None of the other aspects of this incident either qualify, or disqualify Zimmerman's use of deadly force against Martin.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Integrity, truth, honesty of the media - some serious questions

Racism is a secondary issue to the root cause, which is the media and the undue influence it can bring to bare in the name of obtaining ratings. When news institutes (intentional or otherwise) attempt to become the justice system and strive to influence public opinion rather than reporting. . .we have a much larger pressing issue.

The 4th estate has now become the 5th column

Wow - cutting right to the chase. Very appropriate connection, nice turn of a phrase.

Too many in the media have become the "enemy within."

The reports and opinions expressed by the media ought to be fair and impartial. They would seem to lack integrity, fairness and honesty - creating false crisis for the sake of ratings and the dollar. That harms us all and brings shame. That is not the way of my countymen.

The would appear to be much distortion and half (or less) truth in what the media has reported. I submit that the agenda might well be to fit this incident into the "guns are bad" niche. At this point, I will admit that is conjecture on my part.

However, read the following links, not for who was at fault, but for the huge amount of media spin, maneuvering, and tampering with facts to portray the events and people to fit a certain mold. Truth would appear to be less important than sensationalism - what might be behind this - I will not attempt to lead, only offer for consideration.

Read it all - please!
And follow the links here

Mayhem

Thanks for the link!!

That was very well put together. It raised some things I had not thought about.

And it sure does read the same way I see it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
More media malpratice

NBC investigates editing of 911 tape played on Today show.

NBC told this blog today that it would investigate its handling of a piece on the “Today” show that ham-handedly abridged the conversation between George Zimmerman and a dispatcher in the moments before the death of Trayvon Martin. A statement from NBC: “We have launched an internal investigation into the editorial process surrounding this particular story.”

Here’s what appears to be the Today show’s version of what Zimmerman said:
Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.

Here’s what appears to be the actual 911 transcript:
Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.

Unless there’s something I’m missing here, the editing seems extremely improper (“high editorial malpractice,” in the Washington Post blogger’s words). I say this not to opine on the merits of any possible criminal case against Zimmerman; this particular point isn’t about him, but about NBC.[/quote]

The Volokh Conspiracy » NBC Internal Investigation of the Apparent Gross Mis-Editing of the George Zimmerman 911 T

Erik Wemple (Washington Post)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've realized what's going on here.

The media, convinced in Zimmerman's innocence, has decided to so thoroughly give him a mistrial of public opinion that he'll never be triable, ever, in any jurisdiction.

:p

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I've realized what's going on here.

The media, convinced in Zimmerman's innocence, has decided to so thoroughly give him a mistrial of public opinion that he'll never be triable, ever, in any jurisdiction.
A fully informed jury writ large as possible.

45acpForMe

http://www.wnd.com/2012/04/reverends-to-the-rescue/040212toon1/

040212toon1.jpg

Mayhem

NBC investigates editing of 911 tape played on Today show.

NBC told this blog today that it would investigate its handling of a piece on the “Today” show that ham-handedly abridged the conversation between George Zimmerman and a dispatcher in the moments before the death of Trayvon Martin. A statement from NBC: “We have launched an internal investigation into the editorial process surrounding this particular story.”

Here’s what appears to be the Today show’s version of what Zimmerman said:
Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.

Here’s what appears to be the actual 911 transcript:
Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.

Unless there’s something I’m missing here, the editing seems extremely improper (“high editorial malpractice,” in the Washington Post blogger’s words). I say this not to opine on the merits of any possible criminal case against Zimmerman; this particular point isn’t about him, but about NBC.

The Volokh Conspiracy » NBC Internal Investigation of the Apparent Gross Mis-Editing of the George Zimmerman 911 T

Erik Wemple (Washington Post)

WOW!! That is so wrong! They make him appear to focus on race hen he was asked.

But that is what the media can do now. It is not about the "truth" anymore but their opinion and spin.

Last edited:

Dreamer

One thing both these cases have in common--both shooters were tried, convicted and their reputations executed in the Court of Public Opinion by the Mushroom Media, the "Anti's", and other anti-human-rights special interest groups--LONG before the entire story was fully know, and LONG before the complete investigation was accomplished.

And also, in both instances, the Brady Campaign wasted no time at all dancing in the blood of the "victim" and using the situation as an opportunity to demonize law-abiding gun owners, denigrate Concealed Carry laws, and disparage "Stand Your Ground" legislation--again, LONG before the entire truth of the situations were known.

I am reserving judgement until a more complete investigation is done.

But one thing is nearly certain--if Zimmerman is found by an unbiased investigative body to be justified in this shoot, we can almost be assured that the Mushroom Media, the Anti's, and race-baiting opportunists like the Black Panther Party, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Spike Lee will begin pushing for the beginning of a race war in Florida.

This should make for an interesting summer in the Sunshine State.

Dreamer

WOW!! That is so wrong! They make him appear to focus on race hen he was asked.

But that is what the media can do now. It is not about the "truth" anymore but their opinion and spin.

This is blatant evidence that the Mushroom Media is ACTIVELY attempting to parlay this incident into a full-blown race war. This has nothing to do with ratings or publicity--they are doing the bidding of their puppet masters, and attempting to foment racial violence so that their puppet masters can institute Nation-wide Martial Law under NDAA and other provisions...

Wake up, folks.

2012 won't be "the end of the world as we know it" because of the Mayans.

But it may well be, due to the machinations of the International Bankster Cartels...

va_tazdad

Tried in the court of public opinion

What "media" moron came up with this "white-Hispanic" tag? Does that make Obama a black-white man?

Another lie in this "report" is that the police refused to arrest Zimmerman.

They were advised they could not until an investigation of the incident by the prosecutor’s office based on the law.

The family lost all my support the second they allowed Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton to represent them!

Both of these racist fools are proven liars and have zero credibility.

And don't forget that the "New Black Panthers" have offered $10,000 for the "capture" of Zimmerman.

On what authority??? Last I heard, that was kidnapping.

The media should be horse whipped for the inaccurate information they have spewed! Too many of the current "reporters" appear to be graduates of the Dangerous Dan Rather School of Yellow Journalism!

Jack House

The white-hispanic BS started when people began to point out that Zimmerman was obviously not white. Since Hispanic make shoots black teen for bring black is no where near as emotive as white man shoots black teen for being black in white neighborhood, they had to find some way of keeping that white tag on it.

It's blatant when you watch videos were they harp on race, but as soon as the truth is pointed out, they become dismissive. "It don't matter I'm going to keep calling him white"

Never let a bit of truth interfere with a good ole fashioned lynching and character assassination. Whatever it takes for better ratings.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk