• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabelas and Gun Safety

MainelyGlock

Last night I was at Cabelas, and of course took a trip to the gun counter. I don't know if I'll be back there, especially to purchase a firearm. (I've bought 3 from them). The employee working at the counter was showing a [very sketchy looking kid] how to unload, reload, and properly hold the Glock he wanted to buy. To my surprise, he didn't aim it at the empty wall behind him, but right at me! I asked him not to do that, and he responded in a very "stand offish" way and said that he checked the gun to make sure it was unloaded, so it was ok and there was nothing to worry about. I told him that one of the most basic rules of firearm safety is to NEVER point the gun at anything you don't wish to kill, even if it's unloaded. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've seen employees and customers alike aiming guns at each other. How hard would it be to slip a loaded magazine into one of the guns once it's across the counter and in your hands? Not very. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited:

Jack House

Makes me wonder what Cabela's policies are regarding situations like that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

HankT

State Researcher
Last night I was at Cabelas...he didn't aim it at the empty wall behind him, but right at me! I asked him not to do that, and he responded in a very "stand offish" way and said that he checked the gun to make sure it was unloaded, so it was ok and there was nothing to worry about.

That's a totally unacceptable action and reply on the part of the employee. Is he CRAZY?

I appreciate your calm handling of the incident. But, really, you probably under-reacted. The employee is a goof with a gun.

amaixner

Aside from being too dumb to be allowed to continue in that position, the employee just committed an action that is a felony in some states. You need to involve the store manager AND district manager.

223to45

Isn't aiming a gun at someone " using deadly force", I would have knock his teeth out, then asked if he understood.:cuss:

Last edited:

HankT

State Researcher
Aside from being too dumb to be allowed to continue in that position, the employee just committed an action that is a felony in some states. You need to involve the store manager AND district manager.
There may very well be video recordings from security cameras available to prove the OP's complaint.
That would be quite useful. MainlyGlock might be able to get some compensation for his, uhm, discomfort caused by a lunatic employee.

MainelyGlock

There may very well be video recordings from security cameras available to prove the OP's complaint.
That would be quite useful. MainlyGlock might be able to get some compensation for his, uhm, discomfort caused by a lunatic employee.

This is true! When I call I'll inquire about that. Unless they go and mysteriously vanish.

If I could, the only thing I would have that employee do is take an NRA basic pistol course. Clearly he has not, or wouldn't be doing things like that. If I was running a store that sold guns, I'd make it a friggin requirement before handling them.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
This is true! When I call I'll inquire about that. Unless they go and mysteriously vanish.

If I could, the only thing I would have that employee do is take an NRA basic pistol course. Clearly he has not, or wouldn't be doing things like that. If I was running a store that sold guns, I'd make it a friggin requirement before handling them.

Almost true. I've seen dozens of people who have taken the basic pistol course and who still have terrible habits.

Adult education rules of thumb include "seven times in seven ways" and "learn, then teach" -- both of which help ingrain things that are learned. But unless one practices - correctly - what one learns, the risk of the "learning" not really setting in is great.

MainelyGlock

File a formal complait with management STAT.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll go back tomorrow to do so. Manager was not present when I called today. I wonder if the surveillance video is available under the Freedom of Information Act? Or if I am able to obtain it any other way?

Almost true. I've seen dozens of people who have taken the basic pistol course and who still have terrible habits.

Adult education rules of thumb include "seven times in seven ways" and "learn, then teach" -- both of which help ingrain things that are learned. But unless one practices - correctly - what one learns, the risk of the "learning" not really setting in is great.

This is true. Makes me a bit nervous to think about, actually. If you can't safely handle a firearm, you should not be allowed to use or carry one.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The principals that led you to form that rather base opinion, so contrary to the principals espoused here on OPEN CARRY dot.org.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

The principals that led you to form that rather base opinion.

It's simple. I don't trust people who are unable to safely handle a gun, whether it's unloaded or not. They put themselves, and others in jeopardy because of their ignorance. I suppose I [wrongly] held the employees who spend their workdays around guns to a higher standard.

MainelyGlock

Ahh, an eager petty tyrant. Oh, and a hoplon-phobic, too.

I see that you've resorted to name calling instead of trying to disprove me. That's silly, and also the remark about me being afraid of guns is baseless, and simply untrue. Why would someone who is afraid of guns own 9 of them, and carry one every day?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
None. What part of I'm allowed to express my opinion confuses you?

You used the word "allowed" - which to some minds means government intervention. That infuriates some people. After years on this site, I've simply learned to let it go; the contest is nowhere near even with some ...