• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do right now to support SB59?

The Expert

I just called my senator (Hopgood) to express my support for SB59. Call timer said it took exactly 1:21 so it's not like it takes any real time out of your day.

Is there anyone else that I should be contacting about this right now?

TheQ

Look for an update after the spring break (which is next week). If you'd like to help the bill in the meanwhile, call your Senator tomorrow and tell him you'd like to meet with him in his district office next week to discuss this bill.

When you meet in person you can tell him this: You want him to support SB-59 S-9 as passed in Committee. You also oppose the MHA amendment and any other "hostile amendments" and you'll see a vote for any such amendment as an "anti-gun" vote.

Take along as many SB 59 supporters who live in his district as you can to this in-person meeting. Make sure they all echo the same message.

Stay tuned for an update. If you aren't on Michigan Open Carry's Legislative Action Alert email list yet, now's a good time to sign up. Emails will go to this list as appropriate to make sure you stay informed and are amongst the first to know about any new public developments.

The list is free to sign up, we won't sell your contact information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

The Expert

Is it a bad idea to have my wife call if I did? Is that looked on as "nagging" or something?

I'll look into meeting with the Senator next week...but it'll be difficult.