• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waffle House Nationwide No-Carry Policy Now In Effect

SovereignAxe

Here's what I sent:

I recently ate brunch at your new location in Elizabethton, TN and had a pleasant experience. The service was decent, and the food was good. I have since learned on the forums section of the website opencarry.org that your company has adopted a nationwide no-carry policy for all of your stores in regards to handguns legally carried by your customers.

Due to my inability to defend myself in your restaurants, I will no longer be able to continue patronage at Waffle House for my own safety-a decision shared with many others on the forum. This is particularly concerning considering I've read more than a few accounts of dangerous incidents at Waffle House-one even at the restaurant in the neighboring city, which I understand is the nature of a restaurant that serves breakfast food at all hours of the night.

The information about this policy comes from an Internet source that admitted it was acquired over a telephone call with your company. So if the source or your employee relayed false information please email me with the correction. Otherwise I will have to find another restaurant with which get late breakfast. I'm sure you understand.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So one can have a beer or a gun but not both. Got it.
Not in Virginia - WH does not have the required ABC license.

IMO, signage does not in and of itself constitute satisfactory legal notice under Va. statute and case law.

"And" does not indicate both must be satisfied. Parallel or equal conditions may be so identified = common practice/reason man standard.

hafnhaf

i just sent out this email to WH:

what is the official corporate policy concerning customers dining at waffle house restaurants while being armed? there are many people nation-wide making decisions based on hearsay as to weather to patronize your establishments or not, depending on the answer. so far, the consensus is not to eat at WH due to some old internet posts about guns not being allowed on the premises.

thank you for your attention.

DocWalker

I have two waffle house t-shirts, wore one yesterday for the last time.....err make that two waffle house gun cleaning rags now. Thanks waffle house, looks like it is IHOP now.

WalkingWolf

Do not eat in Barffle House, food is terrible, but the food is great in IHOP. They are firearm friendly, but they are not open 24 hours.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do not eat in Barffle House, food is terrible, but the food is great in IHOP. They are firearm friendly, but they are not open 24 hours.
Awful House and I-Hop both serve 24/7 locally. Coffee is better IMO at the latter. They both provide late night entertainment.

DocWalker

Awful House and I-Hop both serve 24/7 locally. Coffee is better IMO at the latter. They both provide late night entertainment.

And entertainment on a late Friday or Saturday night around 2am when the bars close and let the freaks out. Fun is watching drunks try and eat before passing out....lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, it's official. I got a call back from WH legal. No firearms allowed, either employees or customers. IHOP it is!

I believe that a considerable number of Waffle House restaurants are fanchises rather than company own stores.

Have never seen a copy of a typical franchise agreement from them, but have to wonder if their agreement terms extend to restricting self-defense tools from honest people.

Gallowmere

This issue is not a component of my decision to not patronize WH.

Pretty much this. I didn't frequent Waffle House more out of fear for the health of my GI tract, than fear for my life due to disarming. That said, it's just another black mark among many for me. At least there's always IHOP.

solus

IHOP closes at 2200 down here in beautiful downtown goldsboro.

never imbibed a cup of java during my walks upon the earth.

ipse

Last edited: