• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waffle House Nationwide No-Carry Policy Now In Effect

ADulay

Never had a problem with OC at any Waffle House I've been to and I hit a lot of them on my annual motorcycle road trips.

However I will look for the sign at my next late lunch.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Never had a problem with OC at any Waffle House I've been to and I hit a lot of them on my annual motorcycle road trips.

However I will look for the sign at my next late lunch.

AD

Look to the extreme end of the building near the roof line, parking lot side. That's where they generally hide/secure the 12"w x 18"h yellow sign.

SpringerXDacp

I don't understand. Why have a hissy fit over this? Seriously. Think about this, guys.
Why not just carry on like before and only have a fit WHEN (or better yet, IF) they say something?

I think you're putting the cart before the horse here.

I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't recommend anyone possess/carry a firearm where a person knows, or should know, it's prohibited. I don't know about Utah, but here in Michigan, any communication (sign, verbal) prohibiting possession/carry has the force of law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Look to the extreme end of the building near the roof line, parking lot side. That's where they generally hide/secure the 12"w x 18"h yellow sign.

I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't recommend anyone possess/carry a firearm where a person knows, or should know, it's prohibited. I don't know about Utah, but here in Michigan, any communication (sign, verbal) prohibiting possession/carry has the force of law.
Any? Really? No matter how visible or comprehensible?

It has been suggested (I happen to concur) that the sign only refers to delivery drivers as it is only at/near the entrance used generally (exclusively?) by such AND is beyond normal sight lines.

Aknazer

Then you need to check up on things. In Oklahoma the "force of law" of the sign was simply trespass, and even then you couldn't be cited unless you refused to leave (or if you admitted to ignoring said sign). In Texas the signs are required to be posted in a very specific manner if they are to have the force of law, and any sign that is improperly posted can be ignored.

Logan 5

I agree with you in principle, however many of the people here do not. So I figure if they have a problem with it, just ignore it.

Then you need to check up on things. In Oklahoma the "force of law" of the sign was simply trespass, and even then you couldn't be cited unless you refused to leave (or if you admitted to ignoring said sign). In Texas the signs are required to be posted in a very specific manner if they are to have the force of law, and any sign that is improperly posted can be ignored.
IIRC Charles was saying something along the lines of respecting the LDS decision to prohibit firearms inside the LDS churches, and a lot of folks are standing behind that and saying they shouldn’t. Well, is that saying that churches have more authority, even to non-members, than businesses? If you respect the wishes of a church, why not respect that of a business as well? How is one civilian sector better and more respectful than another?

ADulay

Grapeshot,

Hey! I actually found the sign last night, pretty much right where you said it would be.

After reading the sign I still went in and had dinner.

It was nice knowing that because of that sign, I was eating in a much safer place than the "unposted" McDonald's across the road.

AD (and the fine selection of music is much better)

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Just Google "waffle house violence" and see what comes up. WAY too much...and it's almost always caused by a certain "local color" of people. Male and female both mix it up big-time. And the other "customers" of the same persuasion sitting around them just calmly move out of the way or look once, then get back to their chowing-down while stuff is thrown and everyone is yelling/screeching at each other -- as it's a regular thing in the 'hood" and they see it all the time. And that's on top of the fisticuffs.

And their "no guns policy" makes no difference re: the amount of violence there -- as if any of the trash "clientele" don't have guns/knives in their hoodies' pockets anyway.

"Ambience" anyone?

When I lived in the Houston area, all the Waffle Houses from Houston to Galveston that I came across were in run-down, crappy "disadvantaged" parts of town. I saw NONE is upscale areas. POSSIBLY a few in "borderline" areas. But MAINLY just in the 'hoods (or barrios), period. What dives -- and the trash that frequented them -- so no wonder the regular violence. I guess that's why they WERE located in those parts of town: To attract "volume customers" -- meaning make $$ on volume, not quality -- regardless of the fact that way too many of them were street-trash & transients with hair triggers. It isn't a matter of IF on any given day a violent incident would happen in a Waffle House store or parking lot, it is simply WHEN it's going to happen.

A Waffle House in the Greater Houston Metroplex area is EXACTLY the kind of place you DO want to carry, I assure you. But I don't get the "business model" or "wisdom" of the Waffle House executives/suits since other safer parts of town would probably make the same kind of $$ for the store (or more) yet be in a better area.

Even here in The Springs, the 1-2 Waffle Houses I passed by aren't in good parts of town, either. NONE are in my part of town.

Of course, at too many Waffle Houses your odds go WAY up that you'll have to shoot someone -- and most of us here don't want the legal hassle that goes along with it (or maybe being the "Guest of Honor" at the immediately following PROTEST out in the parking lot/street) -- so it's best just to stay away. Even some of the chain restaurants/coffee-shops in the area are like that, too: People there who'll want to fight you if you look at them too long or what they consider disrespectfully. I know...came close to shooting one myself (@ a Denny's) -- had he followed me out to the parking lot (I decided to pack up and leave before things got messy, as I told the manager) I WOULD have.

Whatever, I didn't go to any Waffle Houses in the Houston/Galveston area nor do I want to now. Ever. Not worth it...plus I find "disadvantaged parts of town" too damn depressing. Don't need that at all at this "Winter" stage of my life (as if ANYONE needs it at ANY stage) -- life's too short.

Waffle House? No thanks...

...but if anyone here knows of an even MORE dangerous chain "restaurant" to go to, please let me know because presently, I don't think ANYONE beats (pun) Waffle House.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It has been my observation/conclusion that restaurants open 24 hr/da are more prone to having violent events. The time of day being more important than location. The clientel at 0'dark thirty, tends to be less savory.

We have a number of new Waffle Houses on traffic routes to up scale neighborhoods - too new to have a history yet. The older ones are in/near older/changed neighborhoods are there because.....well....they were built a long time ago.

I've had some very interesting/pleasant encounters when race fans were in town for the roundy round races at Richmond International Raceway. Even been video recorded twice - once by a NY couple and the other time by a group from Texas.

My regular stop is most often Sunday before 9:30 am. The WH servers like me because I tip well and don't trash the booth. Most know me by name if not by reputation - no limp bacon or over cooked eggs, please.

Logan 5

I have to agree. A few months ago I spent a week in Salt Lake City, and I was staying in my cab-over camper. Denny's however, I wasn't even camped there, just there for a meal, and there was a drug deal going down at 01:30 in the AM only a few feet from my truck.

No problem at Smith's, however.

OC for ME

It has been my observation/conclusion that restaurants open 24 hr/da are more prone to having violent events. The time of day being more important than location. The clientel at 0'dark thirty, tends to be less savory. ...
..and WH. I see what you did there. ;)

Scattered all the way is the only way, the jalapenos, extra mind you, kill off anything that could get ya.

drsysadmin

Sadly, I received written confirmation of the Waffle House policy from Jeff Wright (via email). Do with it what you will. As Grapeshot pointed out to me - some locations "may" be privately owned. On properties posted, be aware of state law regarding your liability and responsibility if you violate the posting. Here is what Mr. Wright sent me (with my own personal info removed):

Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 4:48 PM
To:
Subject: Waffle House firearms policy

Mr. ,

For many years we have had a “no firearms” policy in place. The policy applies to our property which includes the inside of our restaurants and the parking lot. We are well aware that different people and businesses have varying opinions regarding this issue, and we respect the right of all to have different opinions. However, we continue to believe this is the best policy for our customers and associates.

Thank you for contacting us, and we appreciate your business.

Jeff Wright
Director of Security

lockman

State Researcher
Wow, that is really specific isn't it? Who or when does it apply? Employees? Police? Regular folk? Will they post?

Plenty of other places that serve waffles.

77zach

Carried there yesterday, nobody said anything. Of course, I was concealed. I try not to go there because they don't even have butter. What kind of breakfast place doesn't have butter?

Logan 5

No butter? That's sacrilege!
Just remember, if they're too good for your guns then your money is too good for them.

HPmatt

Been a few years, but want to say W/H does not offer 'real' butter - just a vegetable oil concoction.
Local diner here in Dallas (by SMU of course) has Plugra french butter with you homemade biscuits.
Price is about the same as W/H.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, I received written confirmation of the Waffle House policy from Jeff Wright (via email). Do with it what you will. As Grapeshot pointed out to me - some locations "may" be privately owned. On properties posted, be aware of state law regarding your liability and responsibility if you violate the posting. Here is what Mr. Wright sent me (with my own personal info removed):

Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 4:48 PM
To:
Subject: Waffle House firearms policy

Mr. ,

For many years we have had a “no firearms” policy in place. The policy applies to our property which includes the inside of our restaurants and the parking lot. We are well aware that different people and businesses have varying opinions regarding this issue, and we respect the right of all to have different opinions. However, we continue to believe this is the best policy for our customers and associates.

Thank you for contacting us, and we appreciate your business.

Jeff Wright
Director of Security

Had Mr. Jeff Wright actually had any significant training or real-world experience in physical and corporate security management, he might have comprehended the one basic tenet of human nature understood by our Founding Fathers: If you cannot provide adequate security for the masses, you MUST afford them the opportunity to provide it for themselves.

Despite his title, Jeff Write has apparently had little or no actual training. If he had, he might have studied something along the lines of the following:

"The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Security Management degree program is to develop security professionals through academically preparing students from diverse backgrounds for positions as security leaders, managers, supervisors and administrative staff by addressing an increasing national and international need for the application of comprehensive theoretical and technical competence, and professionalism in the security industry."

"The degree program is intended to develop the critical-thinking, creative decision-making and management capabilities of security practitioners that will enable professional success. Specifically, the program prepares graduates to be able to identify and describe key components of business operations and continuity, client relations, and corporate security management methodologies."

Such graduates know full well that failing to provide adequate security while disarming customers is the worst one-two punch possible. It's an open invitation for criminals and thieves to prey upon those too stupid or complacent to tell Waffle House to stuff it.

Last edited: