Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannabis and GUNS

Cannabis and GUNS

What do people think about others who OC and who also use cannabis.
    What about CC by those who use cannabis?

Herr Heckler Koch

Why/how would that be different from alcohol?

https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en&....opencarry.org 3,540 hits
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-30-2012 at 06:45 PM.

So long as whatever, whoever is ingesting, isn't causing any inebriation or diminished judgement or capacity... I don't really care.

As long as you know your limits with drugs and firearms, and aren't stupid with them, go for it. I know a few CC'ers who smoke pot regularly and it really has nothing to do with owning and carrying a firearm. Alcohol is a different story though, because the effects are different.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

My personal belief is zero tolerance, no drugs or alcohol when around fireams.

Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    My personal belief is zero tolerance, no drugs or alcohol when around fireams.
    +1. Are we really having this discussion again?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 03-31-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

So you would not drink one beer while OC/CC'ing?
    Once more into the fray.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post

https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en&....opencarry.org 3,540 hits
    Yep. Must be 3,541 hits now

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    So you would not drink one beer while OC/CC'ing?
    Nope. To do so would open up a whole can of problems if I had to use my gun. The main problem would be the police and the prosecutor saying "you were drinking at the time of the shooting, interesting..."
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Nope. To do so would open up a whole can of problems if I had to use my gun. The main problem would be the police and the prosecutor saying "you were drinking at the time of the shooting, interesting..."
    This! I don't drink much, but if I were to ever have to use my firearm, I want a tox screen to come back all clear. I don't want there to be even a hint of question there. Yall are of course entitled to your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    That's a good point. And it'd be an entirely different (and worse) situation with smoking weed and then having to use your firearm, too.
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

medical marijuana

People who have legal state issued medical marijuana cards cannot be denied their right to protect themselves or property. At least in Oregon. I am an OMMP regestered patient and am getting my CHL.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Back in the 60's, I went ground hog hunting with two guys who showed up acting kinda crazy. Turns out they were high on hashish (they called it killer weed). I never went shooting with those guys again. Guns and drugs or alcohol don't mix.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by MamabearCali View Post
    This! I don't drink much, but if I were to ever have to use my firearm, I want a tox screen to come back all clear. I don't want there to be even a hint of question there. Yall are of course entitled to your opinion.
    With cannabis the tox screen will always come up positive. Cannabis can last up to months in your system. Unlike alcohol, meth, heroin, or coke. They last only days... However coming up positive on cannabis does not prove impairment. Unlike other drugs. They can charge ya for it, but they can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by nny420 View Post
    If its legal there's no problem. I personally don't drink while OC or CC and if it was legal I wouldn't smoke while I was OC or CC. That's just me. I don't want to be accused of any impairment if I ever need to use my gun.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Looking for training by experienced staff?
    We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    http://www.shecanshoot.com/
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

People who have legal state issued medical marijuana cards cannot be denied their right to protect themselves or property. At least in Oregon. I am an OMMP regestered patient and am getting my CHL.
    Have you ever carried or fired a gun while using marijuana? What was your experience like?

What is the medical affliction you have for which marijuana has been prescribed?

Opens you up to way too many potential legal issues, if you have to use the arm. And they dont have to "prove" jack-squat- all it takes is a jury-if it gets that far- to think you were impaired.

That aside, I certainly hope that if I have to use my sidearm vs. someone, that this someone will have been smoking- IT will PROBABLY make his shooting way off, his reaction/reflexes far slower, and less-acute, etc..

Utah law makes it quite easy to understand...

Attachment 8236

Just damned difficult to see! (Click on the indistinguishable speck, below) Pax...

Sorry - I drifted from the OP' Q...
    I don't know what all "people" think, but I, personally, think that carrying when UI is asking for trouble. If one is UI and should happen to be stopped by LE for some unrelated incident - for example at a DUI checkpoint... when they test positive it could create a problem for them in most states, since most states have laws that prohibit carrying when UI. If one is UI and should actually have to deploy their firearm in SD/DO (granted that's a rarity, but one for which we are prepared), it would be a whole new 'bucket of worms', beginning with "impaired judgment", and probably going rapidly downhill from there. A MMJ card may have an ameliorating impact on the situation. On the other hand, I don't allow my personal condition to reach that of UI with anything (not being "holier than thou", simply stating a fact). Just my thoughts on the subject. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 04-02-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added from 1st Pax
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidph8 View Post
    With cannabis the tox screen will always come up positive. Cannabis can last up to months in your system. Unlike alcohol, meth, heroin, or coke. They last only days... However coming up positive on cannabis does not prove impairment. Unlike other drugs. They can charge ya for it, but they can't prove it.
    Well not with me... I don't use cannabis. Still if that is the case it would make me even more nervous about cannabis use.

Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post
    Have you ever carried or fired a gun while using marijuana? What was your experience like?
    Good question.

What is the medical affliction you have for which marijuana has been prescribed?
    Nunnya bizzness.

My reasoned opinion is that it's not my problem until whatever someone does with a firearm while under the influence* effects me. That could be anything from a errant round due to intoxication to proposed legislation restricting all firearms/firearms users because of the acts of one/a few who was under the influence.

stay safe.

*The concept "under the influence" really ought to be set down with objective criteria in the law. Unfortunately, most places allow an subjective interpretation of the phrase.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post

I have carried and fired my gun while medicated. I actually am a pretty damn good shot. My experience was just fine. Keep safety in mind always while shooting ESP because my kids are usually with me and they might be learning but doesn't mean they understand the danger. I actually smoke every day and so my body is used to thc and the other chemicals involved so i don't become "baked or out of control or whatever". in Oregon, Washington county sherrifs department started denying people there chl for having ommp cards. This was taken to court and the Oregon supreme court ruled in favor of the people to get there chl weather they used medical marijuana or not.

I agree my persription is private

Herr Heckler Koch
    I agree my persription is private
    Was private. TMI

Cannabis and GUNS

If I was in court over a shooting for self defense the less amunition, (pun intended) against me the better. I think a good lawyer would use any amount of any type of mind altering substance to go against you and put doubt in the mind's of those on the jury. So I would not carry if I used anything like that, even perscription meds. JMHO
    Last edited by Walther; 04-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.

good point

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    even perscription meds. JMHO
    Very good point... how many people use opiets (sp)for health reasons who also use and carry firearms... lots but its "OK" in the eyes of the feds. All drugs should be used with caution and care to avoid any unnessesary risks. But that doesn't mean one always makes Ill judgments when "under the influence". What is addrenalin? Your bodies natural speed. Does that not run the risk of making someone react in ways they normally wouldn't? Potentially even making dangerous choices?

PS everyone who reads my posts I am sorry for bad grammar and spelling. I'm on a tablet and it sucks to type on.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Was private. TMI
    I'm not ashamed of my choice of medicine. The federal gov. Needs to end prohibition and let people be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast