• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cannabis and GUNS

nny420

What do people think about others who OC and who also use cannabis.
What about CC by those who use cannabis?

MainelyGlock

As long as you know your limits with drugs and firearms, and aren't stupid with them, go for it. I know a few CC'ers who smoke pot regularly and it really has nothing to do with owning and carrying a firearm. Alcohol is a different story though, because the effects are different.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
So you would not drink one beer while OC/CC'ing?

Nope. To do so would open up a whole can of problems if I had to use my gun. The main problem would be the police and the prosecutor saying "you were drinking at the time of the shooting, interesting..."

MamabearCali

Nope. To do so would open up a whole can of problems if I had to use my gun. The main problem would be the police and the prosecutor saying "you were drinking at the time of the shooting, interesting..."

This! I don't drink much, but if I were to ever have to use my firearm, I want a tox screen to come back all clear. I don't want there to be even a hint of question there. Yall are of course entitled to your opinion.

MainelyGlock

That's a good point. And it'd be an entirely different (and worse) situation with smoking weed and then having to use your firearm, too.

nny420

medical marijuana

People who have legal state issued medical marijuana cards cannot be denied their right to protect themselves or property. At least in Oregon. I am an OMMP regestered patient and am getting my CHL.

Morbidph8

This! I don't drink much, but if I were to ever have to use my firearm, I want a tox screen to come back all clear. I don't want there to be even a hint of question there. Yall are of course entitled to your opinion.

With cannabis the tox screen will always come up positive. Cannabis can last up to months in your system. Unlike alcohol, meth, heroin, or coke. They last only days... However coming up positive on cannabis does not prove impairment. Unlike other drugs. They can charge ya for it, but they can't prove it.

Steeler-gal

If its legal there's no problem. I personally don't drink while OC or CC and if it was legal I wouldn't smoke while I was OC or CC. That's just me. I don't want to be accused of any impairment if I ever need to use my gun.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

HankT

State Researcher
People who have legal state issued medical marijuana cards cannot be denied their right to protect themselves or property. At least in Oregon. I am an OMMP regestered patient and am getting my CHL.

Have you ever carried or fired a gun while using marijuana? What was your experience like?

What is the medical affliction you have for which marijuana has been prescribed?

j4l

Opens you up to way too many potential legal issues, if you have to use the arm. And they dont have to "prove" jack-squat- all it takes is a jury-if it gets that far- to think you were impaired.

That aside, I certainly hope that if I have to use my sidearm vs. someone, that this someone will have been smoking- IT will PROBABLY make his shooting way off, his reaction/reflexes far slower, and less-acute, etc..

Gil223

Utah law makes it quite easy to understand...

View attachment 8236

Just damned difficult to see! (Click on the indistinguishable speck, below) Pax...

Sorry - I drifted from the OP' Q...

I don't know what all "people" think, but I, personally, think that carrying when UI is asking for trouble. If one is UI and should happen to be stopped by LE for some unrelated incident - for example at a DUI checkpoint... when they test positive it could create a problem for them in most states, since most states have laws that prohibit carrying when UI. If one is UI and should actually have to deploy their firearm in SD/DO (granted that's a rarity, but one for which we are prepared), it would be a whole new 'bucket of worms', beginning with "impaired judgment", and probably going rapidly downhill from there. A MMJ card may have an ameliorating impact on the situation. On the other hand, I don't allow my personal condition to reach that of UI with anything (not being "holier than thou", simply stating a fact). Just my thoughts on the subject. Pax...

Last edited:

MamabearCali

With cannabis the tox screen will always come up positive. Cannabis can last up to months in your system. Unlike alcohol, meth, heroin, or coke. They last only days... However coming up positive on cannabis does not prove impairment. Unlike other drugs. They can charge ya for it, but they can't prove it.

Well not with me... I don't use cannabis. Still if that is the case it would make me even more nervous about cannabis use.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have you ever carried or fired a gun while using marijuana? What was your experience like?
Good question.

What is the medical affliction you have for which marijuana has been prescribed?
Nunnya bizzness.

My reasoned opinion is that it's not my problem until whatever someone does with a firearm while under the influence* effects me. That could be anything from a errant round due to intoxication to proposed legislation restricting all firearms/firearms users because of the acts of one/a few who was under the influence.

stay safe.

*The concept "under the influence" really ought to be set down with objective criteria in the law. Unfortunately, most places allow an subjective interpretation of the phrase.