• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List of cities & counties NOT violating state law.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
These CITIES do not have illegal ordinances:
1)In Greenup County:
Flatwoods
Russell
Raceland-Worthington
Greenup

2)In Rowan County:
Farmers

3)In Boyd County:
Ashland
Cattletsburg

4)In Carter County:

5)In Lewis County:

6)In Lawrence County:

7)In Bath County:
Owingsville
Salt Lick
Olympia

These COUNTIES do not:
1)Johnson
2)Boyd
3)Bath
4)Greenup

Last edited:

09jisaac

It is amazing how these little local bureaucrats think that the office is there for them and not the people.

I am not arguing with you but don't you think that this equally applies to major politicians too?

Glockster, you are doing a find job. I will go to paintsville whenever I get the chance. Does anyone know the legality of carrying in their courthouse. It shares a common parking lot as their jail, if I am not mistaken. Also, that may be a justice center. Does anyone know where I have to go to find their ordinances?

DrakeZ07

Bath county, including towns and communities within, are -not- in violation of KRS as far as Firearms and OC go.

Open/Concealed carry allowable, and unchecked at the Court house, with the County judge executive, PVA, and Vehicle Registration/Taxing is located.

The Court house annex, with the District/Curcuit Court, the Drivers Licensing, Notary, and County Attorney do -NOT- have any signs on the outside barring Open, or Concealed firearms, or any firearms in general. Inside the annex, there are only one sign barring all firearms, and that is on the door to the District/Circuit court room. Drivers Lic, and County Attorney rooms do NOT have any posted signage against carrying Firearms.

The Courthouse, and annex are located in Owingsville, the County seat of Bath County.

Olympia, Farmers, and Salt Lick have no posted signage barring firearms anywhere within that I could see. Not that there is -anything- in either of the three. Again, all located in Bath.

According to the County clerk, the only ordinance for bath county relating to firearms, is for owingsville, regulating the discharge of firearms within city limits, to where you cant fire a gun in your back yard, or in celebration of new years or 4th of July.

Cgm2414

Bath county, including towns and communities within, are -not- in violation of KRS as far as Firearms and OC go.

Open/Concealed carry allowable, and unchecked at the Court house, with the County judge executive, PVA, and Vehicle Registration/Taxing is located.

The Court house annex, with the District/Curcuit Court, the Drivers Licensing, Notary, and County Attorney do -NOT- have any signs on the outside barring Open, or Concealed firearms, or any firearms in general. Inside the annex, there are only one sign barring all firearms, and that is on the door to the District/Circuit court room. Drivers Lic, and County Attorney rooms do NOT have any posted signage against carrying Firearms.

The Courthouse, and annex are located in Owingsville, the County seat of Bath County.

Olympia, Farmers, and Salt Lick have no posted signage barring firearms anywhere within that I could see. Not that there is -anything- in either of the three. Again, all located in Bath.

According to the County clerk, the only ordinance for bath county relating to firearms, is for owingsville, regulating the discharge of firearms within city limits, to where you cant fire a gun in your back yard, or in celebration of new years or 4th of July.

Since when was Farmers located in Bath County?

neuroblades

I am not arguing with you but don't you think that this equally applies to major politicians too?

Glockster, you are doing a find job. I will go to paintsville whenever I get the chance. Does anyone know the legality of carrying in their courthouse. It shares a common parking lot as their jail, if I am not mistaken. Also, that may be a justice center. Does anyone know where I have to go to find their ordinances?

It's the old "courthouse" now. It's in the middle on Paintsville. If you're familiar with the town, just come in across James Trimble Bridge (passes in front of Paul B. Hall Hospital). Then turn right at the end of it (it ends facing a one way street). Then turn left onto Main Street (heading back down into town). There's a moderate size parking lot on the left, you can park there and then just walk over to the building.

As for a jail, the sheiff's department used to have one located right in that area, within less than 50'. I don't know if they still utilize it though or not. They may not use it anymore being that they have the Detention Center that's out near the New Justice Center on 460. The Justice Center of course is nowhere near the old courthouse where you'd be going.

I'm not really sure who you'd have to talk to there to get the information that you're looking for.

neuroblades

I had PM'ed you the contact info you'll need but for some reason, it didn't seem to send so here it is:

Johnson County Clerk
Sallee Conley Holbrook
230 Court Street
Suite 124
Paintsville, KY 41240-1607
Phone: (606) 789-2557
FAX: (606) 789-2559
Email:sallee.conley-holbrook@ky.gov

Here's something fun to inquire about. Ask them about the previous Apple Days rule that there were to be NO WEAPONS during Apple Days. *LOL*

DrakeZ07

Since when was Farmers located in Bath County?

I was lacking sleep yesterday morning when I posted it, xD cut me some slack. But yea, Well, atleast Farmer's doesn't have any no firearms signs, unlike morehead, last I checked that is, have they taken the "no firearms" sign down from the lil park by the big MSU orange brick thingy building?

Cgm2414

I was lacking sleep yesterday morning when I posted it, xD cut me some slack. But yea, Well, atleast Farmer's doesn't have any no firearms signs, unlike morehead, last I checked that is, have they taken the "no firearms" sign down from the lil park by the big MSU orange brick thingy building?

Farmers isn't big enough to care about firearms, Morehead however according to a few people I have talked to though Banned Open Carry around 10 or 12 years ago. Morehead is an absolute police state our police force out numbers larger cities like ashland and lexington 3:1, with MSU police with county wide jurisdiction, MPD 3 mile leniency (sp?), KSP post 8, and the SO units. My uncle is on City council so I will look into this.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Johnson County

Thanks neuroblades. I left early yesterday for johnson county because the county clerks closed 12 on saturdays. I could find nothing in their books to suggest any firearms regulations (I couldn't find much in their books). So I think it will be safe to add Johnson County to the list. I did not have access to city hall as it was closed on sundays. So I will see what I can find later to do with Paintsville.

Drake- Thanks for your contribution to this effort. For a long time it seemed it was only a few of us (as a group, not me personally) actively fighting for our rights. With this new legislation it is easier for us to do something for our rights. So now I am taking an active part and am glad to see others doing the same. (I am not implying anyone didn't do anything before)

I also propose that every entry we want to add to the list be in a form similar to this one to make it easier for Glockster to add to the list. I suggest we put the city/county at the top and any relevant info afterwords. It will keep him from having to search through a long post.

boomer92266

in monroe county its no trouble to open carry, they have a sign on the county court house doors that says concealed carry of weapons on courthouse property prohibited. but i have called both the sheriff and the tompkinsville police on open carry and they have spoke positive about it. my wife's family lives in glasgow which is in barren county, i don't know about the county sheriff, but my sister inlaw called glasgow police and they were not very friendly to open carry. however going around to the glasgow city parks and they have about 4 of them i saw no signs about weapons.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Farmers isn't big enough to care about firearms, Morehead however according to a few people I have talked to though Banned Open Carry around 10 or 12 years ago. Morehead is an absolute police state our police force out numbers larger cities like ashland and lexington 3:1, with MSU police with county wide jurisdiction, MPD 3 mile leniency (sp?), KSP post 8, and the SO units. My uncle is on City council so I will look into this.

Have him bring the issue up at a council meeting to have all their illegal bans/ordinances removed. I would print out the amended krs 65.870, and give it to him. Inform him if these are not changed by June, they will be removed in the courts. Tell him to inform the mayor and city attorney whoever takes them to court will be reimbursed attorney and
expert witness fees, and that they will be stripped of their immunity and charged with official misconduct in the 1st or 2nd degree. Both charges bring jail and/or fines and the loss of their ability to hold public office. Inform him of the links to the KLC website that pertain to what cities can and can't do. That or print this information out as well and give to him, you can find the links under the thread, "New ammunition to fight cities and counties."

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I noticed Johnson counties fiscal court meets in their district court room. Is this legal? Do they have a justice center and this is the old court room or what?

09jisaac

in monroe county its no trouble to open carry, they have a sign on the county court house doors that says concealed carry of weapons on courthouse property prohibited. but i have called both the sheriff and the tompkinsville police on open carry and they have spoke positive about it. my wife's family lives in glasgow which is in barren county, i don't know about the county sheriff, but my sister inlaw called glasgow police and they were not very friendly to open carry. however going around to the glasgow city parks and they have about 4 of them i saw no signs about weapons.

Are you for sure the sign says "courthouse property" because if it includes grounds then it is in violation of KRS. Have you looked at the ordinance, if it lists one, cited as their authority to post that sign?

Also (not directed at boomer directly) we do want specifics. I thought Lawrence county would be fine because I have not be hassled at the courthouse or any other county place for carrying or been hassled under any specific law, but when I went to look at the ordinances I found an illegal one.

Cgm2414

Have him bring the issue up at a council meeting to have all their illegal bans/ordinances removed. I would print out the amended krs 65.870, and give it to him. Inform him if these are not changed by June, they will be removed in the courts. Tell him to inform the mayor and city attorney whoever takes them to court will be reimbursed attorney and
expert witness fees, and that they will be stripped of their immunity and charged with official misconduct in the 1st or 2nd degree. Both charges bring jail and/or fines and the loss of their ability to hold public office. Inform him of the links to the KLC website that pertain to what cities can and can't do. That or print this information out as well and give to him, you can find the links under the thread, "New ammunition to fight cities and counties."

I am certainly going to do what I can.

boomer92266

Are you for sure the sign says "courthouse property" because if it includes grounds then it is in violation of KRS. Have you looked at the ordinance, if it lists one, cited as their authority to post that sign?

Also (not directed at boomer directly) we do want specifics. I thought Lawrence county would be fine because I have not be hassled at the courthouse or any other county place for carrying or been hassled under any specific law, but when I went to look at the ordinances I found an illegal one.

its says courthouse property, i'm going in the morning and i'll get a pic of the sign on the door.

DrakeZ07

These CITIES do not have illegal ordinances:
1)In Greenup County:
Flatwoods
Russell
Raceland-Worthington

2)In Rowan County:
Farmers

3)In Boyd County:
Ashland
Cattletsburg

4)In Carter County:

5)In Lewis County:

6)In Lawrence County:

7)In Bath County:
Owingsville
Salt Lick
Olympia

These COUNTIES do not:
1)Johnson
2)Boyd
3)Bath

Fixed it, because, ya know, I mentioned "bath county" or "bath" or "bath co" five times in my post about it, naming the cities, that is, though I did mess up on Farmers being in Bath. :p Sorry to be a smart ass, just pointing out that we're not apart of the Sovereign Policed County of Rowan :p

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Johnson County
*SNIP*
Drake- Thanks for your contribution to this effort. For a long time it seemed it was only a few of us (as a group, not me personally) actively fighting for our rights. With this new legislation it is easier for us to do something for our rights. So now I am taking an active part and am glad to see others doing the same. (I am not implying anyone didn't do anything before)
*SNIP*

What Contribution did I play in our struggle of Standardization of our God(s) given right to OC/RKBA? All I did was talk to the County Clerk, and made a visual inspection of the Courthouse, And Annex, inside and out. Please, give credit to Gutshot, Glock, or whoever it was that had more guts than I to go to the Capitol with a pistol on their hip, or has more balls than I to go to a City/County meeting while OC'ing.

Not that it's related to anything, but regarding the efforts of the others' and their hard work, I did mean what I said about reserving a special batch of home brew for y'all. Another month and my Apricot mead will be ready for bottling, and another two months for the Cherry IPA to be kegged. (Hey, atleast it's one of the things we can do without being harrased over, right? Not everyone likes guns, but everyone likes beer!)

Last edited:

Sundiver

I'll check Pulaski County and possibly Lincoln county today or tomorrow as I have business in both unless someone else wants to cover one?

09jisaac

Please, give credit to Gutshot, Glock, or whoever it was that had more guts than I to go to the Capitol with a pistol on their hip, or has more balls than I to go to a City/County meeting while OC'ing.

A determined few gets a lot done, I would love to see what a determined many can do. Gutshot does this on a regular basis and deserves many thanks from all of us. Glockster is also doing a fine job fighting for our rights too. I do believe everyone who is helping to restore all of our rights needs a thanks. So I thanked you and if I haven't thanked anyone else I will.

I'll check Pulaski County and possibly Lincoln county today or tomorrow as I have business in both unless someone else wants to cover one?

Thanks sundiver.