• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tri-Fold Open Carry

Sundiver

OneBad's posting reminded me of something I've been working on for awhile, feel free to copy it and print and carry it or pass it along or more importantly make any corrections to it! Especially since I blatantly copied a lot of the information from here. :p I'd planned on it being for my personal use but I think it should be public domain for anyone.

Sun.

Again, please, any thoughts or feedback is not only encouraged but needed!
PS: This is obviously for open carry folks overall but I wanted it to be something someone who just bought their first gun for open carry can use to help inspire confidence.

Attachments

• Open Carry Rev2.pdf
    91.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

OneBadUnit

Thanks! Very nice layout. I was struggling with the limited space and different ways I wanted to put mine together so I just decided to list a few things I thought were a good basis to know.

Sundiver

Thanks! Very nice layout. I was struggling with the limited space and different ways I wanted to put mine together so I just decided to list a few things I thought were a good basis to know.

Thanks wasn't trying to steal your thunder by any means, just yours reminded me I had that around and needed to update and post it.

Sundiver

Thanks to you, Sir. I just hope if no one finds any major flaws in it, we can sticky it or something so others can make use of it. Not every one is up on their laws. I wasn't till I started carrying it and could pull it out and study when I wasn't doing anything else. I wish I could include the actual statutes but it'd take far to much room to be practical or if someone with legal knowledge could revise it to include a one or two line summary of the statutes so it'd stay managable since the whole purpose is to have it handy.

09jisaac

Thanks to you, Sir. I just hope if no one finds any major flaws in it, we can sticky it or something so others can make use of it. Not every one is up on their laws. I wasn't till I started carrying it and could pull it out and study when I wasn't doing anything else. I wish I could include the actual statutes but it'd take far to much room to be practical or if someone with legal knowledge could revise it to include a one or two line summary of the statutes so it'd stay managable since the whole purpose is to have it handy.

That is why I added the number of the statutes. I was thinking someone can print it off and carry it with them and if they are ever hassled by LEO they can show the number and the LEO can look in their book or on their computer or radio dispatch and ask about it. I don't think there is a complete right way to have all the information a carrier could need on a single piece of paper.

Also, no need to thank me. I did the work to help other people. Anyone who wants to use the information I gathered, with the help and advice of everyone, to further our cause is welcome to it.

OneBadUnit

Thanks wasn't trying to steal your thunder by any means, just yours reminded me I had that around and needed to update and post it.

No worries at all; your notion of "providing information to inspire confidence" is the perfect summary for my intent as well. :) I plan to some editing, see how I might make it nicer; I liked your .pdf, I"ll have to try that.

I am supremely glad that you used my work and turned it into something more suited to your needs.

I found it very useful for mine as well. Your post answered a lot of questions I had when I first joined. Thanks!

DrakeZ07

Should add in KRS 65.870 to the Tri-folder-thingy for easy reference in case someone see's a sign on a park, or library, or courthouse not housing a court of justice, etc. Just a suggestion.

Statesman

OneBad's posting reminded me of something I've been working on for awhile, feel free to copy it and print and carry it or pass it along or more importantly make any corrections to it! Especially since I blatantly copied a lot of the information from here. :p I'd planned on it being for my personal use but I think it should be public domain for anyone.

Sun.

Again, please, any thoughts or feedback is not only encouraged but needed!
PS: This is obviously for open carry folks overall but I wanted it to be something someone who just bought their first gun for open carry can use to help inspire confidence.

Under concealed section, "Permit to carry" should read "Permit to conceal carry CDWL"

Statesman

This is a great Tri-Fold. I would love to hand these out. Just need that minor correction about concealed carry, not carry in general. We don't want to give people the impression it takes a license to open carry by the meaning of "carry".

Last edited:

Statesman

Also, it would be ideal if you could highlight in bold under Holland vs Commonwealth the sections laid out in http://www.kc3.com/Holland v Commonwealth.htm. Emphasis is a great thing for getting eyes where they really need to be.

In our state the legislature is empowered only to deny to citizens the right to carry concealed weapons. The constitutional provision is an affirmation of the faith that all men have the inherent right to arm themselves for the defense of themselves and of the state. The only limitation concerns the mode of carrying such instruments. We observe, via obiter dicta, that although a person is granted the right to carry a weapon openly, a severe penalty is imposed for carrying it concealed. If the gun is worn outside the jacket or shirt in full view, no one may question the wearer’s right so to do; but if it is carried under the jacket or shirt, the violator is subject to imprisonment for not less than two nor more than five years. The heavy emphasis, we suppose, is upon the undue advantage given to a person who is able suddenly to expose and use a weapon, although the gun itself is the vicious instrument………."

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

This is really nice. If I can find the time, I'll make one for Maine. Lots of good information in one place that can easily be handed out to people.

09jisaac

I found it very useful for mine as well. Your post answered a lot of questions I had when I first joined. Thanks!

This makes me happy. I thought that my work was only of limited usefulness judging by how many people on this forum are already aware of the law.

j4l

See, now this sort of thing I find to be a far more reasonable, professional, and mature manner ,all-around, if handling such encounters- be it with LEOs or even just fellow citizens, should the need arise.
Much preferable to the youtube yahoos who go around making a scene of themselves on such matters.
I try to encourage my fellow Fla. carriers to have such an item on-hand, and present it along with their ID, if demanded of them-in those rare cases when they can/do OC.

rob31567

Thanks for the post. I have already made copies and planning on carrying one on me whenever I am OCing. This helped out alot with me being new to open carrying. Thanks again.

Sundiver

Should add in KRS 65.870 to the Tri-folder-thingy for easy reference in case someone see's a sign on a park, or library, or courthouse not housing a court of justice, etc. Just a suggestion.

I had considered including it, wasn't sure how to fit it in under the scope of open carry and I Really ​want to keep it tri-fold or smaller. I'll see what I can do.

Sundiver

Okay made the corrections Statesman recommended, added Drakes request for inclusion of 65.870 and addes a small blurb for where to find the statutes in detail online. I'll try and have the revision posted before the game starts. ;)

Sundiver

Revised document now posted in place of the original one. I'll always replace old with corrected rather than posting multiple documents.