• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Changing my mind out of respect for others here.

Michigander

In thinking it over very heavily for the past 24 hours, I have made the decision to reverse my opposition to SB59. I am doing this not because I have changed my beliefs and concerns, but rather I believe that if those here are not going to be convinced to agree with me, I may as well help everyone else get what they want. If it will be widely considered a push for gun rights, and if passed a gun rights victory, I will do what i can now to help. I will also be doing what I can in the mean time and until such time as I'm dead or disabled to make what I'd consider more serious progress, and I of course ask that we all try to stay united in that goal.

I do not now and will not ever believe in heavily democratic decision making, but I also don't believe in ******* contests involving those who agree on the vast majority of issues but can't come to a consensus, or at least a more evenly divided disagreement. Accordingly, I am also asking everyone else who initially agreed with me, to also change their minds.

I will be calling my rep back to inform them of my new found support for SB59, as well as contacting every non OCing gun owner I know to ask them to also contact their reps.

Further, I want it made clear that nothing I have said on this matter should be regarded as related to the CLSD, or my book since my book oddly and irrelevantly keeps getting brought up. I have volunteered for both MOC and CLSD, but I have never publicly represented either in any type of official capacity. My opinions on SB59 are no exception.

I am making this decision based on respect for everyone else here and the good work we've done together in the past, as well as the good work I want us to do together now and into the future. I will be back very soon. I look forward to seeing many of you in weeks to come.

D

Darth2A-Dfnder

You were my inspiration. You let Pat get to you? :(

Does this mean you won't be burning your unconstitutional CPL with me at the con carrie rally on May 19?

I hope we'll all get con carrie some day.

Sometimes our individual beliefs have to be compromised for the good of the many. Thereare some things that I don't like. But in the legislative process is one of compromise. The legislature compromised when they included PFZs in Shall Issue. 12 yers of history has brought them to the compromise of training and the exemption for CPL holders. In the future we will have history to press on for other changes.

Thanks for your reconsideration of the importance of a unified effort to achieve our ultimate goals.

You were my inspiration. You let Pat get to you? :(

Does this mean you won't be burning your unconstitutional CPL with me at the con carrie rally on May 19?

I hope we'll all get con carrie some day.

Don't be fooled this tool is NOT Pat!!!

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
^ I believe you.

@Michigander. I know that you have reached this decision with some difficulty. This is NOT the last battle in the fight for gun rights, keep that in mind. I applaud your move towards unification here, that really is what it boils down to. We need to get the gun owners of the state headed in one direction when we move on something like this. I hope more follow in your lead. You have not compromised your position or beliefs, those will still be fought for, and we understand agree with your positions, and will fight alongside you as the opportunities present themselves.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Glad to see you helping support this bill. Is it an ideal bill that will make Michigan a perfect gun rights state? No. Is it a bill that will allow more people a reasonable opportunity to carry in more places? Yes.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
Even though I feel its a very small step at least its in the right direction.

If we get sb59 past, in a few years we'll be able to say " see, nothing bad happened" and we'll be able to keep pushing toward con carry.

Baby steps people, they work!

Last edited:

Bronson

Thanks Michigander. Oh, and I'm still serious about you starting a state-wide training org. to take the place of the NRA classes. I think you'd do it up right.

Bronson

TheQ

Thank you for helping us, Michigander. Like Bronson said -- if you want to start that training organization, let me know -- I have some connections who will help you get started.

PDinDetroit

Thank you for the support on SB59. I agree it is not what we want long term, but it will take time and steps in between to get there which is probably why it is called "long term". I can be idealistic at times which helps me achieve far beyond what I even dreamed possible, but I have given that up for certain actions like this one which I believe helps far more than perceived hurts.

One of the bill's components is the ability to carry while taking controlled substances according to doctor's prescribed orders. This is "near and dear" to me as I have been experiencing severe headaches for the past 7 months and have seen many doctors including those at the MIND Clinic (associated with U of M). 2 of the 6 headache meds prescribed are controlled substances, only 1 of which I would feel comfortable carrying while taking it but do not do so (the other one is decently strong and I am a "cheap date"). Now that I have determined the cause of the headaches and working with doctors for resolution, I do not have nearly as many bad headache days requiring such medicines but it would be good to have the ability to carry if I needed such.

G22

Thanks Michigander.

When this passes I look forward to working along with everyone to improve our small gains.

I also want to express praise and adulation for your flip flop. However, I am certain that your change has more to do with your desire to appear favorable on ocdo than it has with any principles or convictions you have.

The damage to this bill you wreaked upon it is lasting. A call to show a change of heart to yopur rep is certain to be met with some confusion as to what you really stand for. If anything.

Nonetheless, thanks for your non-support.

We are all looking forward to hanging out at the campfire and singing kumbaya with you.

http://youtu.be/p3MiD_U4CHQ

This is like thanking a child for finally doing what is right.

Last edited:

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
I also want to express praise and adulation for your flip flop. However, I am certain that your change has more to do with your desire to appear favorable on ocdo than it has with any principles or convictions you have.

The damage to this bill you wreaked upon it is lasting. A call to show a change of heart to yopur rep is certain to be met with some confusion as to what you really stand for. If anything.

Nonetheless, thanks for your non-support.

We are all looking forward to hanging out at the campfire and singing kumbaya with you.

http://youtu.be/p3MiD_U4CHQ

This is like thanking a child for finally doing what is right.
He's always been a well respected member.

He doesn't deserve your attack.

Last edited: