Thread: Encountered first "No Open Carry" sign

Encountered first "No Open Carry" sign

So I'm returning home from Ed's Gun Shop in Moore County today, and decide to stop at an Exxon station in Aberdeen for a soft drink. I've open carried at the store once before after a movie the prior weekend. I always check for a sign regarding weapons prior to entering a business while OC, and know there was no sign the first time I did it. Today, I get out of my car, and just as I'm about to reach for the door handle, there it is... A sign beside the door, approximately 8" x 6" or so in size, stating "No Open Carry" with a photo of a pistol. Of course, upon seeing this, I immediately returned to my car and went to the next convenience store down the road. Now, I don't recall getting any odd looks from any workers or customers in the store, but did notice a guy in his vehicle outside that first night who was looking at me with a negative expression on his face if that makes sense. Anyway, I just found it interesting that a sign banning the practice of OC was posted so soon after my first OC there. Whoever posted the sign must be familiar with guns and likely not anti, because he actually used the term Open Carry, which not many folks outside this community are familiar with. I guess I should be somewhat happy he didn't outright ban guns period. At least they still apparently don't mind folks legally concealing a handgun, so I guess he would get a partial negative rating in the friend or foe list of merchants. I don't have any of those "No Guns, No Money" cards I hear folks talking about, so I'm just going to leave them alone and shop where OC isn't an issue. If anybody lives in or around Aberdeen, NC, it's the Exxon station on US 1 in the Mt. fuji, Subway, Texas Roadhouse area.

Edit: that being said, could I get into trouble if I'm OC while pumping gas? I mean, I'm outside the store, and if I'm paying at the pump I would have no reason to walk in the door where the sign is posted. I would think I couldn't be charged with anything since I could claim no knowledge of the sign. I do realize the store manager or other employee could ask me to put it away or leave thoug, but I was more worried what could happen if a cop was called and he/she saw the sign on the door.
    Last edited by Medic1210; 03-31-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Do signs have weight in North Carolina?

Go to the station again, press "Pay Inside" or "Pay Cash"; pump gas.
    Then stand at the door and let them decide if their "principles" or their avarice is more important.

Yes, signs have full weight in NC. Any property owner can choose to post their business as a "gun-free" zone. I was just more surprised at the fact they posted about open carry. I guess this is better than outright posting no guns, as it shows the owner or whoever posted the sign is aware of concealed carry, and apparently supports that option. At any rate, there are plenty of other stores that don't have an issue (at least not yet) about me open carrying. Of course, I realize that I'm in the very, very small minority of folks that actually do this around my area, so it's not like these stores even see open carry that often in the first place.

As an aside, where do folks on here get their "no guns, no cash" cards I hear them talking about handing out at these stores?

A local store had a funny little sign that said no firearms unless you have a CHP, or some such. It finally got taken down. I've OC'd there since with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1210 View Post

As an aside, where do folks on here get their "no guns, no cash" cards I hear them talking about handing out at these stores?

I modified one from another state forum to use for myself. This it if you want to use it.

edit... seems the attachment size limit here is awful and I cannot attach them. PM me your email and I will send you the files.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1210 View Post
    Yes, signs have full weight in NC. Any property owner can choose to post their business as a "gun-free" zone.

Technically, this is not entirely true, in the strictest sense.

With most businesses, if they post, the ONLY violation that carrying there can generate is a "Trespassing" violation, which is a low-level misdemeanor, NOT considered a "firearms-related violation", and therefore can't be used to revoke your permit.

However, in places that are prohibited against carry by Statute (restaurants that serve alcohol, movie theaters, certain government buildings, etc) if they have a sign (and many of them do), carrying in THAT location can result in a firearms-related charge, which carries with it it's own special legal difficulties...

NC is a literal minefield of "places you can't carry". Know the laws. Know the businesses you visit. Know your rights.

And be polite if you are ever asked to leave...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964