• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

lenoir county sheriff disarmed me while i was parked

1j9l9f0

Banned
Ok, so just know this is not a fresh memory so i will just state the facts and not try to dwell on what i was thinking at the moment cause i could not remember.

I was strong-side hip carry.

So i went to la grange to sell a firearm and am not familiar with the area so i stopped behind the bank next to the Hess station and got directions via google. Anyway, hadn't been there 5 min and a cop car pulls up and spot lights me (no blue lights), he walks up and goes to the rear of the truck to run my plate then came up to the window, i said "officer i have a declaration to make.... I have two firearms in the vehicle, one a pistol down by my gear shift, the other a shotgun behind my passenger seat." At this moment the officer opened my door and instructed me to get out, i then had to grab my truck while searched he then confiscated my pistol, had my wife get out of the truck (no search) took my shotgun and took them to his car and ran both serial numbers, then i had to play 20 questions with him about the who, what, when, where, and how i was behind a bank and in his city.

Questions:
Did i do anything wrong?
Did he have the right to just take the guns?
What should i do in the event of a repeat occurrence?

Fallschirjmäger

Officer Friendly asked about nineteen questions too many.

(Don't let anyone give you a hard time; as any virgin knows, the first time is always the hardest. :p )

Last edited:

Smith45acp

All he needs for RAS to perform a brief and limited stop is the fact that there had been a robbery and you didn't appear to be conducting business (was the bank open?)

That being said, I do believe it is possible to avoid answering questions without pi$$ing the cop off too bad.

"Sir I am reluctant to relinquish any of my 4th or 5th amendment rights"

"What?"

"Sir - respectfully, and I mean that, I do not wish to answer any questions"

"Why not? You got something to hide"

"No sir, it's mainly out of respect for the better men than you or I that died to protect those God-given, Constitutionally recognized rights"

It's hard to argue against that, and at that point it should be clear that you're not a criminal hiding anything, you're just a rare bird who knows and wishes to preserve his rights as an American. Although you may have to repeat the "I don't wish to answer any questions" line several times, because they don't always listen well the first time you say it.

Last edited:

chiefjason

And park in less suspicious places next time. If you're one of a dozen or half dozen cars in a store parking lot, no one pays any attention. If you're the lone car behind a business after dark, you just might draw some attention.

This is a tough one. I would not like to be on the receiving end of that treatment. But I can see the point of checking you out too.

ArmySoldier22

It's hard to argue against that, and at that point it should be clear that you're not a criminal hiding anything, you're just a rare bird who knows and wishes to preserve his rights as an American.

That's the way they should see it.. but unfortunately DHS is teaching them differently now.

JoeSparky

Centurion
He did state his actions were taken because a bank in Kinston had been robbed and i was a suspicious vehicle.

Request any and all info on both the reported bank crime and YOUR INTERACTION in your states version of a FIOA filing.... Officer "Friendly" may have just been blowing a bunch of smoke at you (being untruthful) in an effort to deceive you INTO giving up your rights! IF the info obtained does not substantiate that there was a robbery AND you or your vehicle matched the description of the suspect then you may have been the victim of a complete FISHING EXPEDITION!

What you do after that is entirely up to you but as a minimum GET THE INFO!

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Questions:
Did i do anything wrong?
Did he have the right to just take the guns?
What should i do in the event of a repeat occurrence?

1. You did what you felt comfortable with...So No you did nothing wrong
2. As a government agent he doesn't for the most part have Rights. Assuming you meant Authority...we don't know what he knew, need more info such as the Records request info.
3. Repeat occurence...educate yourself then decide according to the situation. For starters I would recommend clicking on the New to OC thread in my Signature, or Here Review some of the info, especially paying attention to the list of videos at the bottom.

1j9l9f0

Banned
Not being a smart ass, but you carry a gun?

No offence taken but me and the wife saw him pulling in and we thought nothing of it but then he put a big ass spot light on us and our reaction was "oh ****". Its kinda like in the Corps, you ain't afraid of nothing until PMO pulls you over.

This does make me want to get one of those recorders shaped like a pen.

k-town river rat

I live in Lenoir County, right outside of LaGrange. The only bank that was robbed around here was about a month ago. How long ago was the incident you are talking about?

Sky1

I don't like having rights violated either however under the circumstances I would fully expect him to be very cautious and would cut him a lot of slack to his actions.