Thread: Inncorect Graphic sourced to OCDO

Inncorect Graphic sourced to OCDO

The Tulsa World article "Open-carry bill advances; measure could allow firearms carried openly without permit" attributes their map graphic to OCDO.

The problem is the map has many errors. Example, the map shows Kentucky as needing a license to openly carry, while Tennessee allows open carry with some restrictions.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...5_CUTLIN447330

Yes it is incorrect. It says that in VA citizens can carry openly with a state issued license. That is also incorrect. Good find! I hope they get this fixed soon

Yes, quite a few errors indeed. Has anyone contacted them yet? I plan on doing so.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Here is what I sent.

Barbara,

I am writing you today regarding the open carry map included in your online article regarding open carry dated 03/30/2012.

There are numerous errors in the map. For example, Virginia and Kentucky do not require any permit or license to open carry. There are no laws regulating open carry in either state. Permits/licenses are only required if one wishes to carry concealed.

Your article is very well written but you may want to take the graphic down until the correct information can be verified.

Opencarry.org is cited a the source. I have included links to the appropriate opencarry.org pages for Virginia and Kentucky which indicate that no permit is required for open carry.

http://opencarry.org/va.html
    http://opencarry.org/ky.html

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response and a corrected graphic. Thank you.

Here is her contact information if anyone wants to contact her regarding other states.

Barbara Hoberock
    tel:405-528-2465
    barbara.hoberock@tulsaworld.com
    Last edited by thebigsd; 03-31-2012 at 10:13 AM.

I sent the author an email just after I made this post. So there are at least 2. :P

Just another quick look at the map and I found Alaska, Hawaii, Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts and Tennessee were wrong. Just the ones i could spot with a cursory glance.
    Last edited by WCrawford; 03-31-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Centurion
    I am wondering if the "graphic" was an OLD file graphic that may have been accurate at one time but is not any longer... just thinking!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post
    I sent the author an email just after I made this post. So there are at least 2. :P

Just another quick look at the map and I found Alaska, Hawaii, Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts and Tennessee were wrong. Just the ones i could spot with a cursory glance.
    Add North Carolina to that too.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I am wondering if the "graphic" was an OLD file graphic that may have been accurate at one time but is not any longer... just thinking!
    The more I look at the map, the more I think the colors may be mislabeled. It appears that all the light blue states (labeled no license on the graphic) are all license required states, all the light orange are no license, and the white are "some restrictions".

I received an email back from the author of the article:

Thank you for your email. We are correcting the graphic. Barbara

That's all I got, so we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Here is what I sent.

Barbara...
    She's the author. She won't do anything about it.

Write the editors!

Specifically, one of the assistant or associate editors:

Melissa Bashaw Administrative Assistant melissa.bashaw@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8418
    Adam Daigle Assistant Editor adam.daigle@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8480
    Colleen Almeida Smith Assistant Editor colleen.almeida@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8481
    Mary Bishop Assistant Editor mary.bishop@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8370
    Michael Dekker Assistant Editor michael.dekker@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8469
    Patrick Prince Assistant Editor patrick.prince@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8341
    John Young Assistant News Editor john.young@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8327
    Janet Pearson Associate Editor janet.pearson@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8328
    Julie DelCour Associate Editor julie.delcour@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8379
    Mike Jones Associate Editor mike.jones@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8332
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.