• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inncorect Graphic sourced to OCDO

WCrawford

Flippercon

Yes it is incorrect. It says that in VA citizens can carry openly with a state issued license. That is also incorrect. Good find! I hope they get this fixed soon

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Here is what I sent.

Barbara,

I am writing you today regarding the open carry map included in your online article regarding open carry dated 03/30/2012.

There are numerous errors in the map. For example, Virginia and Kentucky do not require any permit or license to open carry. There are no laws regulating open carry in either state. Permits/licenses are only required if one wishes to carry concealed.

Your article is very well written but you may want to take the graphic down until the correct information can be verified.

Opencarry.org is cited a the source. I have included links to the appropriate opencarry.org pages for Virginia and Kentucky which indicate that no permit is required for open carry.

http://opencarry.org/va.html
http://opencarry.org/ky.html

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response and a corrected graphic. Thank you.

Here is her contact information if anyone wants to contact her regarding other states.

Barbara Hoberock
tel:405-528-2465
barbara.hoberock@tulsaworld.com

Last edited:

WCrawford

I sent the author an email just after I made this post. So there are at least 2. :p

Just another quick look at the map and I found Alaska, Hawaii, Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts and Tennessee were wrong. Just the ones i could spot with a cursory glance.

Last edited:

merc460

I sent the author an email just after I made this post. So there are at least 2. :p

Just another quick look at the map and I found Alaska, Hawaii, Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts and Tennessee were wrong. Just the ones i could spot with a cursory glance.

Add North Carolina to that too.

WCrawford

I am wondering if the "graphic" was an OLD file graphic that may have been accurate at one time but is not any longer... just thinking!

The more I look at the map, the more I think the colors may be mislabeled. It appears that all the light blue states (labeled no license on the graphic) are all license required states, all the light orange are no license, and the white are "some restrictions".

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I received an email back from the author of the article:

Thank you for your email. We are correcting the graphic. Barbara

That's all I got, so we'll see...

since9

Campaign Veteran
Here is what I sent.

Barbara...

She's the author. She won't do anything about it.

Write the editors!

Specifically, one of the assistant or associate editors:

Melissa Bashaw Administrative Assistant melissa.bashaw@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8418
Adam Daigle Assistant Editor adam.daigle@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8480
Colleen Almeida Smith Assistant Editor colleen.almeida@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8481
Mary Bishop Assistant Editor mary.bishop@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8370
Michael Dekker Assistant Editor michael.dekker@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8469
Patrick Prince Assistant Editor patrick.prince@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8341
John Young Assistant News Editor john.young@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8327
Janet Pearson Associate Editor janet.pearson@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8328
Julie DelCour Associate Editor julie.delcour@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8379
Mike Jones Associate Editor mike.jones@tulsaworld.com 918-581-8332