Thread: Interesting test.. Mass vs. velocity and penetration..

Interesting test.. Mass vs. velocity and penetration..

Using...slingshots, lead, steel, and glass projectiles in the 140-178 fps ranges..
    I know it doesnt directly correlate to ammo from sidearms, but.. it does demonstrate the importance of mass of the rounds chosen, vs. other factors... and one or two of the test results are rather surprising, I'd think..

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot55.htm

Oh dear sweet and fluffy shvering Shiva, it's the .45 v 9mm v 40s&w, with "but a .25 is better than a sharp stick - sometimes" thrown in for good measure!

So, seriously, is there anybody out there willing to stand in front of any of them (including the sharp stick)?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Oh dear sweet and fluffy shvering Shiva, it's the .45 v 9mm v 40s&w, with "but a .25 is better than a sharp stick - sometimes" thrown in for good measure!

So, seriously, is there anybody out there willing to stand in front of any of them (including the sharp stick)?

stay safe.
    mmm actually no. It was more to do with the idea that the balls would even penetrate at all, at such low velocities, that I found interesting. It does however bear out the deeper penetration of the heavier rounds vs. lighter ones- even at these minimal velocities..

try not to read too much into things, eh? relax.
    Last edited by j4l; 04-01-2012 at 07:05 AM.