• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting test.. Mass vs. velocity and penetration..

j4l

Using...slingshots, lead, steel, and glass projectiles in the 140-178 fps ranges..
I know it doesnt directly correlate to ammo from sidearms, but.. it does demonstrate the importance of mass of the rounds chosen, vs. other factors... and one or two of the test results are rather surprising, I'd think..

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot55.htm

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh dear sweet and fluffy shvering Shiva, it's the .45 v 9mm v 40s&w, with "but a .25 is better than a sharp stick - sometimes" thrown in for good measure!

So, seriously, is there anybody out there willing to stand in front of any of them (including the sharp stick)?

stay safe.

j4l

Oh dear sweet and fluffy shvering Shiva, it's the .45 v 9mm v 40s&w, with "but a .25 is better than a sharp stick - sometimes" thrown in for good measure!

So, seriously, is there anybody out there willing to stand in front of any of them (including the sharp stick)?

stay safe.

mmm actually no. It was more to do with the idea that the balls would even penetrate at all, at such low velocities, that I found interesting. It does however bear out the deeper penetration of the heavier rounds vs. lighter ones- even at these minimal velocities..

try not to read too much into things, eh? relax.

Last edited: