Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Children's Museum

  1. #1
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317

    Children's Museum

    Hi, quick question, is the children's museum a federal place or something? My family is going there this week and I didn't know if it was a no-carry zone by federal. I thought it was like some school or something. Thanks.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Newport News
    Posts
    52
    I was wondering the same about the living museum. Does anyone know?

  3. #3
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Virginia is a big state. I think you're going to have to be a little bit more specific.

    Your question is similar to "Does the hamburger joint on the corner allow guns?"

    It kind of depends on which corner...

    TFred

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Newport News
    Posts
    52
    Apologies. I'm talking about the Virginia living museum on J Clyde Morris in Newport News. Going there on Sunday with my nephew and sister. For some reason I thought this was in the Hampton Roads thread. My bad.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    I'm with Tfred. Could you post an address or a link?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  6. #6
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    No apologies needed, just trying to help you get an answer!

    Sounds like an interesting place, but not near me, so I don't know anything about it.

    TFred

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Newport News
    Posts
    52
    The address for the living museum is

    524 J Clyde Morris Boulevard
    Newport News, VA 23601

    And the website it thevlm.org

  8. #8
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Virginia is a big state. I think you're going to have to be a little bit more specific.

    Your question is similar to "Does the hamburger joint on the corner allow guns?"

    It kind of depends on which corner...

    TFred

    http://www.childrensmuseumva.com/

    Children’s Museum of Virginia · 221 High Street, Portsmouth, VA · 757-393-5258 · get directions
    © copyright 2011, city of portsmouth, virginia | website by Arengee
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-31-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    http://www.childrensmuseumva.com/

    Children’s Museum of Virginia · 221 High Street, Portsmouth, VA · 757-393-5258 · get directions
    © copyright 2011, city of portsmouth, virginia | website by Arengee
    I'd venture a guess the bold text, at the bottom of their web page is a pretty good start.

    Rule out any sort of official school facility, and you're probably good to go. JMHO of course.

    TFred

  10. #10
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I'd venture a guess the bold text, at the bottom of their web page is a pretty good start.

    Rule out any sort of official school facility, and you're probably good to go. JMHO of course.

    TFred
    Lol so blind, it says the city so my guess also would be Preemption.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-31-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  11. #11
    Regular Member wikieod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    18
    Living Museum is good to go. Been there a few times OC, and nothing said. A few looks by parents, but nothing was said.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
    - Ted Nugent

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    For The Living Museum, other than the City of Newport News being on a rather long list of grant-givers and other corporate sponsors, I didn't find anything on the web page to indicate any public ownership or affiliation.

    One of the corporate sponsors was Bob's Gun Shop. There are also apparently a LOT of school field trips here. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, someone might take exception to carrying when there are school kids in attendance, but I'm not aware of any legal restrictions for that.

    TFred

  13. #13
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    For The Living Museum, other than the City of Newport News being on a rather long list of grant-givers and other corporate sponsors, I didn't find anything on the web page to indicate any public ownership or affiliation.

    One of the corporate sponsors was Bob's Gun Shop. There are also apparently a LOT of school field trips here. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, someone might take exception to carrying when there are school kids in attendance, but I'm not aware of any legal restrictions for that.

    TFred
    The school code only comes into play when it is for exclusive use.

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1

    A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  14. #14
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The school code only comes into play when it is for exclusive use.

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1
    Exactly, which is why I worded it this way on purpose!

    "It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, someone might take exception to carrying when there are school kids in attendance, but I'm not aware of any legal restrictions for that."

    We've long known that people sometimes get upset about OCers' actions that are perfectly legal.

    TFred

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •