• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

one good place, one bad place

bmwguy11

I went to check out "the feed bag", an all-in-one pet store in Mequon. It was recommended to me by someone, and they apparently have a decent fish department. I pulled up and hopped out of my car and could see the employees watching me come into the store. I stopped at the door, and did my usual scan. I almost missed it, but there on one of several 8x11 pieces of paper with store information printed on it was a sign that had these cute little puppies and kittens and said something to the effect of "we are a weapons free store, and our little friends would appreciate it if you left your weapon in the car. no weapons allowed here."

I turned right back around and left. I then headed down to my favorite store in downtown milwaukee just near the bradley center called "Best Fish". I know the store is not posted, but decided to mention to the owner about my experience at the feed bag. The owner made it quite clear that he sees no reason to post such a sign, and is in the same mindset as I am. Very great to hear, and two thumbs up to Best Fish in downtown Milwaukee!

bspiller

I was at the club Mad Planet last night and noticed on their wall once you walk inside they had in writing on 1 line that said no weapons or knives written with a black sharpie. I don't even think these comply with the required 5x7 sign that must be posted in viable view. I literally just about missed it because it was written with a marker and the clubs lighting was dimmed.

MKEgal

bigdaddy1 said:
The sign does note comply with the law but does show their intent.
What Auric said - if it says something to the effect of "no firearms" or "no weapons" and is at least 5x7" and is posted where people entering any door to the store would reasonably be expected to see it, it's a legal sign.

One thing we need to work on is getting standardized signage - large size + gunbuster symbol + taking up prime real estate ON each door at what for a person of average height would be between waist & head level.

bspiller said:
I was at the club Mad Planet last night and noticed on their wall once you walk inside they had in writing on 1 line that said no weapons or knives written with a black sharpie.
This, OTOH, is not a legal sign, for several reasons. Not sure I'd point that out to them.
Just cc if you want to keep going there, knowing that they don't want "your kind".

bigdaddy1

From the OP, he certainly had to search for the notice, regardless of the size. He also indicated there was other information on the paper that may confuse or otherwise make someone looking for a specific type of notice pass it up as unrelated information. If your intent is to notify someone that firearms are not permitted in your location it should be a prominently displayed item.

Last edited:

bmwguy11

Yea it isn't easy to see because it looks like just another of the many printed pieces of 8x11 paper.

lynn

What Auric said - if it says something to the effect of "no firearms" or "no weapons" and is at least 5x7" and is posted where people entering any door to the store would reasonably be expected to see it, it's a legal sign.

One thing we need to work on is getting standardized signage - large size + gunbuster symbol + taking up prime real estate ON each door at what for a person of average height would be between waist & head level.

This, OTOH, is not a legal sign, for several reasons. Not sure I'd point that out to them.
Just cc if you want to keep going there, knowing that they don't want "your kind".

Not a good idea to suggest bspiller break the law when you have your own upcoming jury trial on a conceal carry charge.