Thread: signage at malls in madison

signage at malls in madison

i was at east town the other day before i got my license so i wasnt carrying but i always watch for signs - i noticed as i went in the food court entrance it was posted - but if i went in the barns and nobel it wasnt posted i also didnt see anything from barns and nobel into the mall so is this "legal" signage since all entrances arnt posted ??? im just curious i dont really care because hidden is hidden but just wondering

An unknown legal grey area
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

i figured this would stump a few people

i just hope as the ccw law gets older the no weapons signs go away

I don't think there's anything grey about this: the mall has not posted properly. The DOJ says it clearly in their Q&A section: "A sign must be posted in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the building can be reasonably expected to see the sign." Therefore if individual businesses in the mall do not prohibit, e.g., Barnes and Noble and J. C. Penney, then if the mall does not want guns in the rest of the mall it ought to post signs at the places where one leaves the non-posted business and enters into the rest of the mall.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

i was also kinda wondering if this was entrapment of some sort

Herr Heckler Koch
    Inadequate signage still leaves one liable to being trespassed and the grey area is the question of inadequate signage as effective constructive notice that your armed presence is not desired. The RKABA is still not a civil right. "No Shoes, No Shirt, Gun - No Service" is legal.

Shotgun is correct. They have not followed the law so they are not lawfully posted. I think they made the half hearted effort they did just so it makes them feel like they are "doing the right thing".
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by comp45acp View Post
    Shotgun is correct. They have not followed the law so they are not lawfully posted. I think they made the half hearted effort they did just so it makes them feel like they are "doing the right thing".
    FWIW I agree. There is nothing "Grey" about it and it should be stumping no one!.

One thing I do not agree with is the OP saying, "hidden is hidden". If the business is properly posted and you enter knowing that, you are breaking the law!
    Last edited by markush; 04-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    FWIW I agree. There is nothing "Grey" about it and it should be stumping no one!.

One thing I do not agree with is the OP saying, "hidden is hidden". If the business is properly posted and you enter knowing that, you are breaking the law!
    i wasnt implying that i would carry wether posted or not i was just implying im sure other people plan to carry wether posted or not sorry about any confusion with that

i do my best to be a law abiding citizen and dont want to break any laws and this is why i asked - i would hate to be one of the guys that ruined the deal for everyone

Reminds me of when I went to Time Warner Cable in Racine by BestBuy to return a cable box. I walked in with my gun concealed and when I walked out I had noticed on a small maybe 1 inch by 5 inches sticker that said no weapons allowed. Seems some places can't even follow the rules of correct postings.

I go to East town quite often...i ALWAYS enter through Sears....(due to my male genetics, i like looking at the tools)...then into the mall...Ive never seen a sign. I'm going to assume the reports of ;signage' are hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    An unknown legal grey area
    What I meant was that while the building isn't posted properly per the verbiage of the statute. That doesn't mean you wouldn't get charged for trespassing, or you wouldn't be in violation because you knew it was posted and "noticed" and entered anyway. There hasn't been a trial to define anything similar as far as I'm aware. So I described it as a grey area because the situation is a bit unclear.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info