• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

signage at malls in madison

carpman15

i was at east town the other day before i got my license so i wasnt carrying but i always watch for signs - i noticed as i went in the food court entrance it was posted - but if i went in the barns and nobel it wasnt posted i also didnt see anything from barns and nobel into the mall so is this "legal" signage since all entrances arnt posted ??? im just curious i dont really care because hidden is hidden but just wondering

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I don't think there's anything grey about this: the mall has not posted properly. The DOJ says it clearly in their Q&A section: "A sign must be posted in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the building can be reasonably expected to see the sign." Therefore if individual businesses in the mall do not prohibit, e.g., Barnes and Noble and J. C. Penney, then if the mall does not want guns in the rest of the mall it ought to post signs at the places where one leaves the non-posted business and enters into the rest of the mall.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Inadequate signage still leaves one liable to being trespassed and the grey area is the question of inadequate signage as effective constructive notice that your armed presence is not desired. The RKABA is still not a civil right. "No Shoes, No Shirt, Gun - No Service" is legal.

comp45acp

Shotgun is correct. They have not followed the law so they are not lawfully posted. I think they made the half hearted effort they did just so it makes them feel like they are "doing the right thing".

markush

Shotgun is correct. They have not followed the law so they are not lawfully posted. I think they made the half hearted effort they did just so it makes them feel like they are "doing the right thing".

FWIW I agree. There is nothing "Grey" about it and it should be stumping no one!.

One thing I do not agree with is the OP saying, "hidden is hidden". If the business is properly posted and you enter knowing that, you are breaking the law!

Last edited:

carpman15

FWIW I agree. There is nothing "Grey" about it and it should be stumping no one!.

One thing I do not agree with is the OP saying, "hidden is hidden". If the business is properly posted and you enter knowing that, you are breaking the law!

i wasnt implying that i would carry wether posted or not i was just implying im sure other people plan to carry wether posted or not sorry about any confusion with that

i do my best to be a law abiding citizen and dont want to break any laws and this is why i asked - i would hate to be one of the guys that ruined the deal for everyone

bspiller

Reminds me of when I went to Time Warner Cable in Racine by BestBuy to return a cable box. I walked in with my gun concealed and when I walked out I had noticed on a small maybe 1 inch by 5 inches sticker that said no weapons allowed. Seems some places can't even follow the rules of correct postings.

GlockRDH

I go to East town quite often...i ALWAYS enter through Sears....(due to my male genetics, i like looking at the tools)...then into the mall...Ive never seen a sign. I'm going to assume the reports of ;signage' are hearsay.

Motofixxer

An unknown legal grey area :uhoh:

What I meant was that while the building isn't posted properly per the verbiage of the statute. That doesn't mean you wouldn't get charged for trespassing, or you wouldn't be in violation because you knew it was posted and "noticed" and entered anyway. There hasn't been a trial to define anything similar as far as I'm aware. So I described it as a grey area because the situation is a bit unclear.