• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

will be visiting i a month or 2 and want to know the laws

carpman15

i will be visiting in a month or 2 and i would like to know the laws if anyone has a link or some other way of posting laws that would be great thanks

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Be careful of 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms, especially if overnight stops are required for safe travel.

zekester

If you see a cop, or meet him at McDonalds, especially if his name is Trooper Green, walk right up to him and tell them you have a weapon!....Better yet....if you see a Trooper going North and you are going South..in Bryan County, specifically the city of Durant....turn around, chase him down and let him know!!! And for GOD'S sake...don't ever...and I mean ever, get a flat!!!

Sorry...just had to say!!!

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association

The guy asks about Oklahoma gun laws, and you send him to a mistake filled wikipedia page about interstate transportation of firearms?

To the OP. If you have a concealed carry permit from any state, you can carry concealed in Oklahoma. Carry concealed in your car, on your person, whatever. Notify a police officer on first contact, during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Prohibited places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;
3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
4. Any elementary or secondary school,
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

Parking lots are specifically exempt, and you can leave it concealed in the car. If you cave a concealed permit, long guns can be carried magazine loaded, but not one in the chamber.

If you do not possess a concealed carry permit, then handguns need to be open and unloaded in the car, or unloaded cased and locked. Long guns cannot be loaded.

Someone chime in if I forgot something.

hrdware

If you cave a concealed permit, long guns can be carried magazine loaded, but not one in the chamber.

If you do not possess a concealed carry permit, then handguns need to be open and unloaded in the car, or unloaded cased and locked. Long guns cannot be loaded.

Someone chime in if I forgot something.

Without a CCP, long guns can be magazine loaded as long as they are in an exterior locked compartment.

Aknazer

A point of clarification on duty to notify. You only have to notify if it is a detainment, arrest, or traffic stop, at which point you must notify at first contact. So no if a cop decides to have a "friendly" chat with you you don't have to notify them. Some people think you have to notify any time you come into police contact which isn't true.

hrdware

A point of clarification on duty to notify. You only have to notify if it is a detainment, arrest, or traffic stop, at which point you must notify at first contact. So no if a cop decides to have a "friendly" chat with you you don't have to notify them. Some people think you have to notify any time you come into police contact which isn't true.

The sticky point is when a consensual contact turns into a detainment as the officer does not have to notify you that you that you are now being detained. You simply are because of the consensual contact.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I just ask. "Am I being detained?" If the answer is anything that includes the word "no", then I tell the officer, "I really don't have time to chat right now, and I'd really rather just be on my way. Have a nice day." Then turn and walk away.

This of course, would not apply to a traffic stop, you have to notify anyway.

Sorry about jumping your case earlier.. I failed to notice that he asked about Federal transport laws...

Last edited:

okiephlyer

check out
handgunlaw.us
it summarizes each states laws and where your CWL is honored. Of course the disclaimer is that the info may not be accurate and to check with each states legal authorities.