Thread: homland security buying 450 million rounds of hollow point

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

homland security buying 450 million rounds of hollow point

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-...point-bullets/

Well being that we have 311 million people in the U.S. that would be aprox. 1.44 rounds per citizen

http://geography.about.com/od/obtain...population.htm

If you remove the people working in the gov. and millitary, that would leave about 3 rounds per U.S. citizen. Two to the chest one to the head, so I've heard that is how it goes.

oops should have posted on political alerts or general topics sorry.
    Last edited by quarter horseman; 04-01-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by quarter horseman View Post
    [url]http://Well being that we have 311 million people in the U.S. that would be aprox. 1.44 rounds per citizen
    If you remove the people working in the gov. and millitary, that would leave about 3 rounds per U.S. citizen. Two to the chest one to the head, so I've heard that is how it goes.
    So, if it takes 4 shots to get you, then I only have to successfully duck twice?

Actually, they have a contract to buy up to 450 million over the next several years; doesn't mean they will purchase that many. Basically they locked a price in until their order reaches 450 million for the next several years.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Actually, they have a contract to buy up to 450 million over the next several years; doesn't mean they will purchase that many. Basically they locked a price in until their order reaches 450 million for the next several years.
    This.

I really wish that people would vet the crap they receive in their inboxes or see on whackjob websites before posting it on OCDO. Besides, the theory that this is some nefarious scheme to limit Americans' access to .40 caliber runs contrary to basic economic theory. If there is a greater demand for something, the price will go up, but the supply will also increase over time, as manufacturers increase their capacity (they make no money when they cannot fill orders from retailers).
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 04-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Don't you think the

Quote Originally Posted by quarter horseman
    that would leave about 3 rounds per U.S. citizen. Two to the chest one to the head, so I've heard that is how it goes.
    is a little bit overthinking? You don't think the Gov't has bad guys to shoot at? Not to mention training. They don't buy ammunition as they need it, if they did they'd be running out constantly. Also, the DHS covers:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
    U.S. Customs and Border Protection
    Federal Emergency Management Agency
    U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
    Transportation Security Administration
    United States Coast Guard
    National Protection and Programs Directorate
    United States Secret Service

and has 216,000 employees. That's 2083 rounds per employee. If an employee can carry 150 rounds of ammunition, They could get in 13 firefights where they used all 150 rounds. With the coast guard's fight against drugs, the border problems, and the secret service (I don't need to say much more) I don't think 450 million is much of a stretch.