• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Justice Roberts and the Healthcare debate...

Beretta92FSLady

The statement below, made by Chief Justice Roberts is interesting. So, Roberts makes an observation that the States compromised their independent sovereign status long ago. So, where does that leave the States?--at the beck-and-call of the Federal Government! Not that I have an issue with it, necessarily. It's just interesting to hear a 'Conservative' Justice--head of the Court no-less--make a statement that I have stated a number of times.

Good thing the Court tips Conservative, huh?

*EDIT*
He said the court’s decision on the Medicaid expansion should be informed by the reality that the states have “since the New Deal” cheerfully accepted federal money.
“It seems to me that they have compromised their status as independent sovereigns because they are so dependent on what the federal government has done,” the chief justice said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/opinion/activism-and-the-roberts-court.html

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Time for the States' Declaration of Independence. We the people have, individually if not as a group. It's time for the states to step up, or not, but tell US so's we can vote with our feet while still able.

Beretta92FSLady

Time for the States' Declaration of Independence. We the people have, individually if not as a group. It's time for the states to step up, or not, but tell US so's we can vote with our feet while still able.

That's what I think is interesting about the whole debate regarding President Obama being reelected, and possibly changing the composition of the Court. I wonder: Who put Roberts up for the Bench?--wait, it was W. And now Republicans are going to nominate Romney to run on the ticket? So much for electing Conservatives, you know, voting based on Principle. Romney is closer to Obama than any of the others, and the others are NOT electable.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Read Atlas Shrugged and strike. I might vote for repugnican-Gingrich or repugnican-Paul but, absent those options, I will vote Constitution Party.

The Tree of Liberty is parched and the cracked Liberty Bell, silent, is useless. Better me, while my grip is firm and my blood is hot, than my daughter or any graduate of The Army of One.

rotorhead

The sad part is that Chief Justice Roberts is right. The States (some more than others) have been sucking on the Fed's tittie for so long that severe withdrawals happen when it's removed. Even the threat of being weened cause many states into an early submission with many Federal mandates and cause. Think of everything from raising the drinking age to 21, to the establishment of state Dr Martin Luther King Jr Holidays.

If the states do not reach for the golden banana that is offered, it's often crammed down their throat in other ways. I think it's well established now that you can't simply take what the Feds offer without having to pay the consequences for such a decision at some point.

Hunterdave

The sad part is that Chief Justice Roberts is right. The States (some more than others) have been sucking on the Fed's tittie for so long that severe withdrawals happen when it's removed. Even the threat of being weened cause many states into an early submission with many Federal mandates and cause. Think of everything from raising the drinking age to 21, to the establishment of state Dr Martin Luther King Jr Holidays.

If the states do not reach for the golden banana that is offered, it's often crammed down their throat in other ways. I think it's well established now that you can't simply take what the Feds offer without having to pay the cons
equences for such a decision at some point.

Yes, this^ Chief Justice Roberts was only stating facts, not condoning such.

Beretta92 is just reading what she wish he said, instead of what he actually said!