Thread: North Bend man shoots and kills intruder

North Bend man shoots and kills intruder

A man and his girlfriend were hiding in their bedroom as an intruder was threatening to kill them both. When the man kicked down the bedroom door, the home owner shot him several times and killed him, after warning him several times. I am glad that the man and his girlfriend are okay, but I really am shocked that he gave the guy so many warnings before he had no other choice but to shoot him. If it was me, I really do not think I would give a guy ANY chances that was trying to kill me. I mean that is crazy. What do you guys think?
    ~Samantha~

Is there a link to the story?

Any indication of a relationship with both or either of the intended?

That may give some insight or answer to at least part of your question....

But since they decided on a defensive position in the house, shooting at the intruder through the door or wall may have produced less than desired results. With the perp outside the door, in an unknown condition (wounded) or having retreated to cover (not wounded but possibly armed), the assailant could just wait for one of them to stick their head out of the BR door to "check" on what ever.....

Link to story: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/V...145392585.html
    Last edited by jt59; 04-01-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: to post link
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Every_Night View Post
    A man and his girlfriend were hiding in their bedroom as an intruder was threatening to kill them both. When the man kicked down the bedroom door, the home owner shot him several times and killed him, after warning him several times. I am glad that the man and his girlfriend are okay, but I really am shocked that he gave the guy so many warnings before he had no other choice but to shoot him. If it was me, I really do not think I would give a guy ANY chances that was trying to kill me. I mean that is crazy. What do you guys think?
    http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/0...in-north-bend/

I work in security. I have a gentleman I work with who is retired LEO. He explained to me they teach people this method to create a defense argument. This way the police have a signature that states you were defending not just your home but your life in defense. At least that is my interpretation. As far as the warnings. That is a personal choice and it may not be the smartest especially if the perp has a knife or a weapon. A person with a knife can reach you very quickly. Probably best if you use this method to warn the perp when he is outside the door. Not when he enters. Once he enters then you of course use your handy dandy shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    But since they decided on a defensive position in the house, shooting at the intruder through the door or wall may have produced less than desired results. With the perp outside the door, in an unknown condition (wounded) or having retreated to cover (not wounded but possibly armed), the assailant could just wait for one of them to stick their head out of the BR door to "check" on what ever.....

Link to story: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/V...145392585.html
    I do not think the OP was talking about shooting through the door but since you brought it up, shooting through a door can have very harsh outcomes first and foremost the possibility of a family member as what happened a couple years ago where a man searching his house for an intruder and shot and killed his wife after telling her to stay in the bedroom.

I feel the homeowner did a great job and beyond reproach in his actions, sure he could have sought out the perp though in his situation and outcome +1000.
    Last edited by BigDave; 04-01-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Oh Gawd each one that pops up is worse!
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Maybe the WCF bus ad should be modified. It should say "Don't think twice about having a gun in your house. Go out and get one TODAY!" Then right below it a line that says "It sure came in handy in North Bend".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"