• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Bend man shoots and kills intruder

Samantha86

A man and his girlfriend were hiding in their bedroom as an intruder was threatening to kill them both. When the man kicked down the bedroom door, the home owner shot him several times and killed him, after warning him several times. I am glad that the man and his girlfriend are okay, but I really am shocked that he gave the guy so many warnings before he had no other choice but to shoot him. If it was me, I really do not think I would give a guy ANY chances that was trying to kill me. I mean that is crazy. What do you guys think?

jt59

Is there a link to the story?

Any indication of a relationship with both or either of the intended?

That may give some insight or answer to at least part of your question....

But since they decided on a defensive position in the house, shooting at the intruder through the door or wall may have produced less than desired results. With the perp outside the door, in an unknown condition (wounded) or having retreated to cover (not wounded but possibly armed), the assailant could just wait for one of them to stick their head out of the BR door to "check" on what ever.....

Link to story: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...-shot-and-killed-in-North-Bend-145392585.html

Last edited:

Glock17

A man and his girlfriend were hiding in their bedroom as an intruder was threatening to kill them both. When the man kicked down the bedroom door, the home owner shot him several times and killed him, after warning him several times. I am glad that the man and his girlfriend are okay, but I really am shocked that he gave the guy so many warnings before he had no other choice but to shoot him. If it was me, I really do not think I would give a guy ANY chances that was trying to kill me. I mean that is crazy. What do you guys think?

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/03/homeowner-fatally-shoots-intruder-in-north-bend/

I work in security. I have a gentleman I work with who is retired LEO. He explained to me they teach people this method to create a defense argument. This way the police have a signature that states you were defending not just your home but your life in defense. At least that is my interpretation. As far as the warnings. That is a personal choice and it may not be the smartest especially if the perp has a knife or a weapon. A person with a knife can reach you very quickly. Probably best if you use this method to warn the perp when he is outside the door. Not when he enters. Once he enters then you of course use your handy dandy shotgun.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
But since they decided on a defensive position in the house, shooting at the intruder through the door or wall may have produced less than desired results. With the perp outside the door, in an unknown condition (wounded) or having retreated to cover (not wounded but possibly armed), the assailant could just wait for one of them to stick their head out of the BR door to "check" on what ever.....

Link to story: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...-shot-and-killed-in-North-Bend-145392585.html

I do not think the OP was talking about shooting through the door but since you brought it up, shooting through a door can have very harsh outcomes first and foremost the possibility of a family member as what happened a couple years ago where a man searching his house for an intruder and shot and killed his wife after telling her to stay in the bedroom.

I feel the homeowner did a great job and beyond reproach in his actions, sure he could have sought out the perp though in his situation and outcome +1000.

Last edited:

amlevin

Maybe the WCF bus ad should be modified. It should say "Don't think twice about having a gun in your house. Go out and get one TODAY!" Then right below it a line that says "It sure came in handy in North Bend".