• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cabelas in rogers

tjkruck

so saturday a friend and i went to cabelas. he had arrived earlier than i did and already had a cart full of 5.56. i walked in the front door of cabelas and went up to the door greater that holds the ads. the gentleman who checks in firearm returns walked up to me and said " are you planning on going to the gun library or purchasing a holster" i replied "no sir, i am not" he then asked me " you shouldnt openly carry your firearm, you could please cover it up with your shirt that would be nice" i replied " well minnesota state law allows me to openly carry my firearm openly if that is what i choose" he did agree but said this " well believe it or not we do have customers who really are not gun enthusiest, and might get a little scared" (yes i do agree that all people do not like guns) on the other hand 2 out of 3 times i have carried at cabelas i have had an issue with the person who checks in firearms. unfortunatly i lost my recorder. i have gone to fleet-farm in St. Cloud brooklyn park and Blaine, walmart in buffalo, elk river and monticello, Gander mountain in Blaine, St. Cloud and the late Maple Grove store Sheeles in St. Cloud.... and never ever had a problem..... i do believe i will stop purchasing my firearms at cabelas...

MKEgal

Before you boycott, try going up the chain of command.
Call the store tomorrow & get hold of the store manager.
Tell him what happened, & that you understand Cabella's corporate policy is to welcome lawfully-armed customers, so you're confused by this person's comments/directions. (As well as being offended.)
Let the manager tell you that they follow corporate policy & that s/he will reeducate the underling.

IIRC, you could also submit a comment through the Cabella's website.

tjkruck

Before you boycott, try going up the chain of command.
Call the store tomorrow & get hold of the store manager.
Tell him what happened, & that you understand Cabella's corporate policy is to welcome lawfully-armed customers, so you're confused by this person's comments/directions. (As well as being offended.)
Let the manager tell you that they follow corporate policy & that s/he will reeducate the underling.

IIRC, you could also submit a comment through the Cabella's website.

i have debated with the misses about contacting cabelas via e-mail. i think i am going to go against her wishes and go ahead with contacting. and as for being offended, i really wasnt because i do understand what he said, i did find it funny because they are a gun shop... thank you for the reply as when i contact them i can use the above that you understand Cabella's corporate policy is to welcome lawfully-armed customers, so you're confused by this person's comments/directions. as that is a very good way of wording it

ManInBlack

I agree with MKE_gal that you should speak with a manager regarding his overzealous employee.

I've never had any trouble at my local Cabela's, but the "are you planning on trying on any holsters or anything" questions are getting old. I have decided that the next time it happens, I am going to speak to a manager and inquire if it is Cabela's policy to make inquiries of every customer, because they have no way of knowing who may be carrying a concealed firearm. There is no reason I should be singled out and treated as more likely to commit an unsafe act simply because I am engaging in lawful behavior. I could understand if I had the weapon in hand, ready for use, but when it is holstered, the assumption should be that it will stay there. From a customer service standpoint, I'd prefer not to be treated as an idiot by a company I am trying to do business with.

tjkruck

they responded rather quickly

Response Via Email (Dave W) 04/01/2012 11:04 PM
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We are sorry to hear that. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We will inform the appropriate people.

It is Cabela's decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation.

I would be more than happy to forward your comment on to our management as well as the store. If you would like to include your name, billing information, and home phone number, I can certainly include it in my reporting.

On behalf of Cabela's, We sincerely apologize for the negative experience. Cabela's values your business and we look forward to putting this situation behind us and moving on to serving your future sporting needs in a much more appropriate manner.

Sincerely,

Dave W.

FishHunter911

I was the guy standing next to you when you where talking about some encounters you have had while OC'ing. I kept turning around and snickering at the comments you were quoting. To funny. Im from the east coast and had to visit the store before heading home. Wish I brought more cash! LOL

Minnesota

I was there lasnt night with no problems. Was in the gun department for over an hour killing the rainy day away. Didnt see ol'white hair at the front desk either and I was hearded over towards the gun checkin because there were people just hanging out between the two doors on the left keeping dry/warm. Maybe we could all meet up there one day and open carry, look at stuff we never knew we needed lol

tjkruck

Finally

So finally decided to return to cabelas and finally went thru the entrance without being asked to either conceal my firearm or ask if I plan on removing it from my holster.

Last edited:

Irish.40

I was there lasnt night with no problems. Was in the gun department for over an hour killing the rainy day away. Didnt see ol'white hair at the front desk either and I was hearded over towards the gun checkin because there were people just hanging out between the two doors on the left keeping dry/warm. Maybe we could all meet up there one day and open carry, look at stuff we never knew we needed lol

Let's plan a OC meet there soon! I'm free most weekends. Maybe Memorial Day if their open!?

Mark 1911

Cabelas is a nice place to shop for firearms because of the large inventory, but they are not a good place to buy because their prices are too high and they do not deal on the price. Once you figure out what firearm you want, there are plenty of places that will order it for you at a much better price. I know of places that will beat Cabelas prices by 10% or even a little more.

USMC1986

They can deny you if they please.

[h=2]Subd. 17.Posting; trespass.[/h] (a) A person carrying a firearm on or about his or her person or clothes under a permit or otherwise who remains at a private establishment knowing that the operator of the establishment or its agent has made a reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the establishment may be ordered to leave the premises. A person who fails to leave when so requested is guilty of a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this subdivision is not subject to forfeiture.

(ii) the requester or the requester's agent personally informs the person that guns are prohibited in the premises and demands compliance.

tjkruck

They can deny you if they please.

They didn't deny my entrance they have repeatedly asked to cover it up, the fact that they are a sporting goods store to ask to cover something up that I actually purchased from the store is rather odd, also it is not policy to ask a customer to check in a firearm that they are carrying. Only if they are bringing it in for service, return, or sell

USMC1986

They didn't deny my entrance they have repeatedly asked to cover it up, the fact that they are a sporting goods store to ask to cover something up that I actually purchased from the store is rather odd, also it is not policy to ask a customer to check in a firearm that they are carrying. Only if they are bringing it in for service, return, or sell

I suppose you're right, they didn't deny your firearm, only how to carry it. I believe I was stopped at the front door and was asked to check it in one time.

Last edited: