• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with telling my parents its okay to OC in oregon @ 18

chadman

Chadman: I am old, I have 5 grown daughters, and 14 grandchildren, oldest is currently in the military...most of them shoot with me when they come to visit. Some are safer than others..and all it has to do with attitude, not age. All of my grandkids start/have started shooting with me when their parents have agreed they are ready. I do not push them(well maybe a little)

What I wish to say is: trust your parents judgement, and they will trust you..OK? Don't push too hard on the question, rather work at showing them you are responsible. Maybe work at it as a goal they agree with? I would agree with others that state: as long as you are living with your parents (reguardless of your age) you need to play be their rules...it is called respect.

You are fortunate, Forest Grove is a good town. ..be careful, and good luck with your quest.

Thank you that is something i shall do. I wont push it as much i am now. I am just trying to get a answer out of my parents because i am turning 18 soon.

Warren Drouin

Chadman: I am old, I have 5 grown daughters, and 14 grandchildren, oldest is currently in the military...most of them shoot with me when they come to visit. Some are safer than others..and all it has to do with attitude, not age. All of my grandkids start/have started shooting with me when their parents have agreed they are ready. I do not push them(well maybe a little)

What I wish to say is: trust your parents judgement, and they will trust you..OK? Don't push too hard on the question, rather work at showing them you are responsible. Maybe work at it as a goal they agree with? I would agree with others that state: as long as you are living with your parents (reguardless of your age) you need to play be their rules...it is called respect.

You are fortunate, Forest Grove is a good town. ..be careful, and good luck with your quest.

+1

Finally, someone that gave good and respectful advice!

hermannr

Thank you that is something i shall do. I wont push it as much i am now. I am just trying to get a answer out of my parents because i am turning 18 soon.

Try wrap your mind around this...this is about me...55+ some years ago...I was a real bad one for not wanting to be a "novice"..I did not want to be a novice, no how no way, not in anything. Anyway, my dad offered to buy me a "boys" single shot 22, and I wanted a repeater (the Remington Nylon 66 wasn't out yet, but you get the idea) It was a standoff. I held out for a couple years, and then finally gave in and got my "boy's 22" for my 12th birthday. Dad said, you show you can handle this single shot safely and shoot it properly and responsibly, maybe we can talk about that repeater next year...

maybe you can get a bit from my own mistake...I could have had my repeater a couple years sooner, if I had just taken the single shot, and then shown dad I was responsible and safe with the SS.

How this might fit your desire to carry? I'm not sure, but you may find something valuable in it. (BTW: I have open carried for over 40 years now, never been a problem. and the ss .22? we were living in Oregon at that time. Seaside. :)