• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with telling my parents its okay to OC in oregon @ 18

chadman

So today i went ahead and started talking with parents about OC at the age of 18 and they are not believing me one bit i have shown them laws stating i can. I just cant get them to budge is there anyway you guys could possibly help me with proving that i able to OC at the age 18. I would like to exersise my right and i feel it would help me overcome my fear. I have fear all the time that when im out at night that a BG (bad guy) will come after me with a knife or gun. I am always out at night with friends and such. I just want to have the comfort i will be able to OC and be able to prove to my parents i can i am not asking but if you can please help me here it would be greatly appreciated thank you OC forum.

Edit: I am a avid hunter.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Not trying to throw water all over your desire to take responsibility for your own safety, but there is a lot of responsibility to carry of a firearm. While I fully resist any attempt by the state to mandate training as a condition of carry; I fully encourage anyone wanting to protect themselves to get training.
You haven't mentioned anything about training. Maybe, invite one or both of your parents to get some training with you. Basic firearm safety and further trading in legal use of a tool for defense of self and others as well as the potential risks.
If you are still living with mom and dad it may just be easier to wait until you are providing your own roof.

chadman

Not trying to throw water all over your desire to take responsibility for your own safety, but there is a lot of responsibility to carry of a firearm. While I fully resist any attempt by the state to mandate training as a condition of carry; I fully encourage anyone wanting to protect themselves to get training.
You haven't mentioned anything about training. Maybe, invite one or both of your parents to get some training with you. Basic firearm safety and further trading in legal use of a tool for defense of self and others as well as the potential risks.
If you are still living with mom and dad it may just be easier to wait until you are providing your own roof.

I have had basic training of firearms. I am 17 now. 18 in june. I am planning on living with my parents for a few more yaers because i will be going to collage near were they live. I will look into In legal use of a tool of defense of self. I will also talk with them about the risks.

ManInBlack

So today i went ahead and started talking with parents about OC at the age of 18 and they are not believing me one bit i have shown them laws stating i can.

Could you show us the laws that state you can OC?

What you mean is that there are no laws that prohibit OC.

166.250. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or
(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

Since the law in Oregon only makes it a crime to carry a concealed firearm, and specifically states that openly-carried, holstered firearms are not concealed, open carry is legal as it is not prohibited.

If your parents won't believe the plain-letter law, maybe you should show them around this section of the forum, so they can read others' accounts of dealing with law enforcement while open carrying. Some of the youtube videos are also good; there is a video of a gentleman dealing with Eugene PD that I think is especially helpful.

Last edited:

chadman

Originally Posted by chadman
So today i went ahead and started talking with parents about OC at the age of 18 and they are not believing me one bit i have shown them laws stating i can.
Could you show us the laws that state you can OC?

What you mean is that there are no laws that prohibit OC.

166.250. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or
(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.
Since the law in Oregon only makes it a crime to carry a concealed firearm, and specifically states that openly-carried, holstered firearms are not concealed, open carry is legal as it is not prohibited.

If your parents won't believe the plain-letter law, maybe you should show them around this section of the forum, so they can read others' accounts of dealing with law enforcement while open carrying. Some of the youtube videos are also good; there is a video of a gentleman dealing with Eugene PD that I think is especially helpful..

thank you anymore will be greatly appreciated

BadMoon Risin68

I Think you should...

Go at your parents in an adult tone, your parents probably just don't want you getting into trouble. I know when I talked to my dad I got a lot of grief for it. But it was because he cares not because he wants to control me. His argument was that I should always side with the police in an event that I was stopped for open carry and that I could be shot. Also that some little old lady would call the police on me and that I would scare them. It all could happen, However I am 21 and the moment I became a gun owner I became a different person. I went from being a kid doing stupid things (not illegal things) but still stupid, to a adult actions. Guns represent a freedom to me and yes It can be taken away from you, as long as you realize that what you do with your gun(s) is serious and can have major consequences, you will do alright.

You also said you hang out with friends. Friends can be great have a lot of fun with and have great memories. Friends can also get you in trouble. My suggestion is if you are hanging out with friends leave it at home. In the event something does happen with your friends you have them there for protection. The same goes for alcohol. Yeah the gun may be cool to show off, but it has it's time and place.

When I first had my gun I didn't get to shoot it for three months(it drove me crazy), I was a little hesitant to carry it concealed or open. Now that I have had some range time with accuracy and speed I am even more confident in my weapon and my ability to carry it. I think it is great that you have been taking classes for firearms. Now try training yourself with your surroundings start recognizing things and people that are out of place and that may present a threat. Start training your memory of what a person looks like in detail. It all helps in the event something actually does happen. If your parents do end up letting you have access to a pistol invest in a recording device and learn the laws of recording people.

Good Luck and keep learning

Trap

Do you have a handgun? Or are you trying to get your parents to buy you one?

Last edited:

Ironbar

Wow. Where to begin?

I guess I'm of the old-school notion that as long as you're under my roof, you do as I say. If your folks don't want you OC'ing as a condition of you staying in their house, then as far as I'm concerned- tough sh** kid.

Second, I don't believe for a minute that an 18 year old has the maturity to grasp what carrying a gun is all about. You may be legally old enough at 18 to vote, drive a car, and even go to war, but those factors in and of themselves don't make you mature- just legal.

Finally, you say you spend a lot of nights out and about. I doubt seriously that you're doing it in the sleepy little burgh of Forest Grove. You're likely spending your time in and around Portland. Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, and Oregon City all have ordinances against open carry of loaded firearms. How are you going to get around that until you turn 21 and can apply for your Concealed Handgun License?

So I guess my bottom line is, I wouldn't help with telling your parents it's OK because I don't think it is.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Second, I don't believe for a minute that an 18 year old has the maturity to grasp what carrying a gun is all about. You may be legally old enough at 18 to vote, drive a car, and even go to war, but those factors in and of themselves don't make you mature- just legal. \

1) I assume you are constantly writing your congresscritters about raising the enlistment age, since you so firmly believe 18 year olds, as a group, don't have "the maturity to grasp what carrying a gun is all about."
2) Likewise with raising the driving age. If 18 year olds aren't mature enough to handle a piece of dangerous machinery in public, certainly, 16 year olds are not. What about voting? Maybe the only people mature enough to vote are those your age and older?
3) Please enlighten us by telling us the magical age at which all people suddenly become mature enough for you to support them exercising their inalienable rights.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Second, I don't believe for a minute that an 18 year old has the maturity to grasp what carrying a gun is all about. You may be legally old enough at 18 to vote, drive a car, and even go to war, but those factors in and of themselves don't make you mature- just legal.

Ummmm don't those 18 year olds (and even 17 year olds) that go to war carry guns and do a damn fine job?

Cremator75

I know some people well over 18 that shouldn't even own guns. It really is a case by case basis about the maturity of and 18 or even 40 year old person. Sure, most 18 year olds still act like kids, but there are some very responsible ones. You can't make it a blanket statement.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Warren Drouin

1) I assume you are constantly writing your congresscritters about raising the enlistment age, since you so firmly believe 18 year olds, as a group, don't have "the maturity to grasp what carrying a gun is all about."
2) Likewise with raising the driving age. If 18 year olds aren't mature enough to handle a piece of dangerous machinery in public, certainly, 16 year olds are not. What about voting? Maybe the only people mature enough to vote are those your age and older?
3) Please enlighten us by telling us the magical age at which all people suddenly become mature enough for you to support them exercising their inalienable rights.

+1 :)

H

Herr Heckler Koch

How about, when they're mature enough to get out of mommy and daddy's home? My roof, my rules.

Ironbar

Oh I'm well aware that I'd be castigated for my comments, so I'll merely highlight the important part that everyone skipped over:

....those factors in and of themselves don't make you mature- just legal.

Take a certain poster on this forum from southern Oregon. He's older than 18 and has proven repeatedly that he doesn't have the maturity to carry a gun either.

ncwabbit

Wow. Where to begin?

**snip
Finally, you say you spend a lot of nights out and about. I doubt seriously that you're doing it in the sleepy little burgh of Forest Grove. You're likely spending your time in and around Portland. Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, and Oregon City all have ordinances against open carry of loaded firearms. How are you going to get around that until you turn 21 and can apply for your Concealed Handgun License?

***snip.

I'm am sorry, but I think you missed ironbar's point and the third paragraph states one of his main concerns...the OP, by his own admission is: quote: I am always out at night with friends and such. unquote

what is the 18yo OP doing always roaming at night w/friends and such? not to stereotype, but i challenge each of you to think back to what you did when you were 18 and 'out at night w/your friends and such' (what is 'such' bovines?)...i guess i am lucky as i lived in the villiage that raised this olde idiot well enough to survive to and through adulthood.

OP you state, quote My dad has set away a glock for me. unquote does not answer the question of do you have a firearm to carry as 'set away' does not equate to me: 'oh sure dad gave me the glock for my 18th b'day."

that your father has ### of guns is of no consequence since they belong to your father and nothing was mentioned about 'oh ya dad and i have gone shooting at the range on at least a monthly, quarterly basis.

nothing was mentioned about 'oh ya dad insisted i take a pistol class' or 'oh ya i was a boy scout and earned the rifle/shotgun merit badges.'

nothing was mentioned on 'oh ya i have a regular job to buy ammo, holster, etc.,' to support your OC'g

sorry OP you have not provided background to convince this gentleman you should open carry 'just cuz you wanta'

wabbit

ps: mib, et al., little harsh on taking the comment out of text and leaping to criticism and chastising....

Last edited:

Warren Drouin

Hey Ironbar, I think most of the people on this site will agree, that you are one being immature by trolling like a bitch. How about you take some anger management classes before you carry your firearm; hopefully they will teach that a firearm is not a hand of GOD!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
There is nothing you can 'tell' your parents that will allow you to OC. You can only demonstrate by your actions that you are ready.

I have a 17yo daughter and a 19yo daughter.

For graduation my 19yo received a Sig P239 from me for her to carry. She is attending college in Montana and she can OC in most of the state. She is obtaining her residency and she will be able to CC in the cities/towns as well.

I will be buying another handgun for my youngest for after graduation for her birthday this summer.

Why have I done this? I trust my daughters by their behavior and actions around firearms. I have had long detailed discussions with them about the law and firearms. I want them to be safe when they reach adulthood. I have spent their entire lives talking about firearms, safety and legal aspects of firearms to prepare them for this time in their lives.

Their behaviors have demonstrated to me that they are ready. If you need 'help' telling your parents, then you have not demonstrated your level of readiness. That is what you should be doing with your life.

chadman

I'm am sorry, but I think you missed ironbar's point and the third paragraph states one of his main concerns...the OP, by his own admission is: quote: I am always out at night with friends and such. unquote

what is the 18yo OP doing always roaming at night w/friends and such? not to stereotype, but i challenge each of you to think back to what you did when you were 18 and 'out at night w/your friends and such' (what is 'such' bovines?)...i guess i am lucky as i lived in the villiage that raised this olde idiot well enough to survive to and through adulthood.

OP you state, quote My dad has set away a glock for me. unquote does not answer the question of do you have a firearm to carry as 'set away' does not equate to me: 'oh sure dad gave me the glock for my 18th b'day."

that your father has ### of guns is of no consequence since they belong to your father and nothing was mentioned about 'oh ya dad and i have gone shooting at the range on at least a monthly, quarterly basis.

nothing was mentioned about 'oh ya dad insisted i take a pistol class' or 'oh ya i was a boy scout and earned the rifle/shotgun merit badges.'

nothing was mentioned on 'oh ya i have a regular job to buy ammo, holster, etc.,' to support your OC'g

sorry OP you have not provided background to convince this gentleman you should open carry 'just cuz you wanta'

wabbit

ps: mib, et al., little harsh on taking the comment out of text and leaping to criticism and chastising....

To touch on the subject of me handling firearms. I hunt during the Fall and winter times. I shoot monthly with friends and my dad. Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol

Well my dad will give me the glock he has for my 18th birthday. Which i turn in june. I am out at night going shopping for my parents and then ill meet up with friends either at a parking lot or at the local market. We will then Proceed to talking about a bunch of things and hang around.
I also work some parts of the nights to. I check on all of the rigs we own at our shop in town making sure the shop is locked and that all of our tools are safely put away and locked up.

Last edited:

hermannr

Chadman: I am old, I have 5 grown daughters, and 14 grandchildren, oldest is currently in the military...most of them shoot with me when they come to visit. Some are safer than others..and all it has to do with attitude, not age. All of my grandkids start/have started shooting with me when their parents have agreed they are ready. I do not push them(well maybe a little)

What I wish to say is: trust your parents judgement, and they will trust you..OK? Don't push too hard on the question, rather work at showing them you are responsible. Maybe work at it as a goal they agree with? I would agree with others that state: as long as you are living with your parents (reguardless of your age) you need to play be their rules...it is called respect.

You are fortunate, Forest Grove is a good town. ..be careful, and good luck with your quest.