• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Family Dollar is against OC/CC

s&w_M&P_owner

Hey guys. Just got word in tonight from someone I know who works for Family Dollar that their against OC/CC, even though there are no signs. They gave me a paper with the policies for "weapons" of any type (not just guns), so here it is, in Family Dollars own words, and I'll bold the parts that apply to OCers and CCers.

Weapons on Company Property

No weapons of any type, including, but not limited to, firearms, knives (unless the item is a Family Dollar approved box cutter), or any other dangerous weapons or instruments designed to inflict injury or cause physical damage are allowed on Company premises, property or in Company vehicles.

This applies whether the weapon is on the individual's person, carried in a container or openly, or in a vehicle brought onto Company premises (where allowed by law). Furthermore, Company Team Members are prohibited from having, possessing, or otherwise controlling weapons at any time and at any place while on Company business.

This policy applies to all Company team members, visitors and contractors on Company property. Company property includes, but is not limited to, permanent, temporary or leased structures, parking lots, Company-owned or leased vehicles, and or receiving and shipping docks.

As further clarification of this rule, the prohibition against weapons applies to both visible and concealed weapons, including those weapons for which a valid permit has been obtained. Any violation of this rule is a serious offense and disciplinary action may include immediate termination of employment.

Family Dollar will comply with all Federal, State & Local laws, where applicable.

So guys, looks like Family Dollar doesn't want business from people that OC/CC. This person also told me that the assistant and store managers had almost gotten fired for not asking me to leave when I was carrying, because apparently someone from the corporate office saw I was carrying, but was not asked to leave. There are no signs posted at any Family Dollar location I've ever been to, and I've never been asked to leave. This person just grabbed this for me and stopped by the house on their way home to give it to me. I'm going to email the corporate office about this and tell them that since they banned guns in their stores, and they don't want any OC/CCers in their stores, they will get no more of my money, but what's the best way to go about doing it? I don't want to make all OC/CCers look like jerks, or make us all look crazy either. If you guys want to get in on the email action, I'll post something here about how to contact them.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedEagle

Hey guys. Just got word in tonight from someone I know who works for Family Dollar that their against OC/CC, even though there are no signs. They gave me a paper with the policies for "weapons" of any type (not just guns), so here it is, in Family Dollars own words, and I'll bold the parts that apply to OCers and CCers.

Weapons on Company Property

No weapons of any type, including, but not limited to, firearms, knives (unless the item is a Family Dollar approved box cutter), or any other dangerous weapons or instruments designed to inflict injury or cause physical damage are allowed on Company premises, property or in Company vehicles.

This applies whether the weapon is on the individual's person, carried in a container or openly, or in a vehicle brought onto Company premises (where allowed by law). Furthermore, Company Team Members are prohibited from having, possessing, or otherwise controlling weapons at any time and at any place while on Company business.

This policy applies to all Company team members, visitors and contractors on Company property. Company property includes, but is not limited to, permanent, temporary or leased structures, parking lots, Company-owned or leased vehicles, and or receiving and shipping docks.

As further clarification of this rule, the prohibition against weapons applies to both visible and concealed weapons, including those weapons for which a valid permit has been obtained. Any violation of this rule is a serious offense and disciplinary action may include immediate termination of employment.

Family Dollar will comply with all Federal, State & Local laws, where applicable.

So guys, looks like Family Dollar doesn't want business from people that OC/CC. There are no signs posted at any Family Dollar location I've ever been to, and I've never been asked to leave. This person just grabbed this for me and stopped by the house on their way home to give it to me. I'm going to email the corporate office about this and tell them that since they banned guns in their stores, and they don't want any OC/CCers in their stores, they will get no more of my money, but what's the best way to go about doing it? I don't want to make all OC/CCers look like jerks, or make us all look crazy either. If you guys want to get in on the email action, I'll post something here about how to contact them.

It may just be me, but IMO, this policy applies to employees and people making deliveries. I don't think that the reference to "visitors" is meaning customers. Just my thoughts on the matter.

s&w_M&P_owner

RedEagle,

I also forgot to mention in the first post that this person also told me that both of the managers almost got fired for NOT asking me to leave, because someone from corporate had looked at the security tapes and saw that I was carrying in the store, and I wasn't asked to leave. I've now added that to the original post.

Last edited:

chiefjason

I'd be interested in what corporate has to say. I've had managers confuse the employee vs customer idea. They think their employee contract applies to me. No, it does not. I'm reading this more toward employees and business related folks; not customers. I could be wrong though. And not that I shop at Family Dollar much. Most of them I would not be caught unarmed in anyway, lol.

s&w_M&P_owner

chiefjason,

According to the employee who told me this, that policy also includes customers, not just employees. From what this person told me (I can't name her just in case someone from FD would see this), the assistant manager and store manager almost got into some major trouble, including possible termination, for me carrying my M&P 9 in their store, and them not asking me to leave.

s&w_M&P_owner

I'm also going to contact FD's corporate office tomorrow about this. The paper that the employee gave me was directly out of their rules/regulations, and that's when they told me that it applied to customers as well.

NC-Heel

That is a corporate policy for employees and vendors. Totally different scenario as legal ramifications could ensue if an incident were to occur. CYA policy.

The statement I would fall back on is this:

Legally they have the right to tell employees they can not be in possession of a firearm while on company property or in company vehicles to include employee cars in the parking lot. Legally they can post gun buster signs at their door or ask me to take my business elsewhere if they want. Federal, state and local laws say I am allowed to carry in their store until a time I am informed I am not welcome.

NCBobD

If you work for a national retail chain you'll find similar verbage in their employee handbooks. Sadly, employees, even store level management and sometimes mid-level management believes those same rules apply to customers. In more times than not they do not. Contacting corporate will be the best course of action to get clear-cut answers.

ncwabbit

re-reading the policy the OP posted, it was written specifically to meet OSHA's violence in the workplace rhetoric (http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/workplaceviolence/) put out by HR/EHS for employees only. it is even badly written by a corp weenie who sits in a corner office far away from the real world and w/o consultation w/the corp attorney!!

someone needs to check out Family Dollar besides the EH&S or HR personnel who will firmly and steadfastly state this policy is for customers.

wabbit

ArmySoldier22

Definitely a good topic here. I think I have an issue that falls in line with some of the stuff mentioned. I just started working at Best Buy, and of course the corporate policy is no firearms "I won't confirm or deny whether my firearm is in the parking lot or not". But I wonder if that still applies to me off the clock as well. I'm still an employee, and the paperwork I signed didn't specifically state that it applied while being on the clock, it was just a pretty broad statement of no firearms. My guess is that as long as I'm not in uniform, it wouldn't matter. And I'd hope that would be there look on it as well. But it just makes me think about it a little. Maybe I'll have to give it a try tonight and see what happens.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Definitely a good topic here. I think I have an issue that falls in line with some of the stuff mentioned. I just started working at Best Buy, and of course the corporate policy is no firearms "I won't confirm or deny whether my firearm is in the parking lot or not". But I wonder if that still applies to me off the clock as well. I'm still an employee, and the paperwork I signed didn't specifically state that it applied while being on the clock, it was just a pretty broad statement of no firearms. My guess is that as long as I'm not in uniform, it wouldn't matter. And I'd hope that would be there look on it as well. But it just makes me think about it a little. Maybe I'll have to give it a try tonight and see what happens.

Good luck. I was told to leave the Greensboro Best Buy a couple years ago. Only been back once since (cc'd) - and that was only because I was tagging along with a family member. Their manager told me that only LEOs are allowed to carry there, and that they don't care if my gun is carried openly or concealed - either way it is against policy. I noticed (but said nothing about) the lack of signage indicating this policy.

Damn yankees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

Good luck. I was told to leave the Greensboro Best Buy a couple years ago. Only been back once since (cc'd) - and that was only because I was tagging along with a family member. Their manager told me that only LEOs are allowed to carry there, and that they don't care if my gun is carried openly or concealed - either way it is against policy. I noticed (but said nothing about) the lack of signage indicating this policy.

Damn yankees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Must've just been that store. I've OC'ed into a few different best buys over the past year without any troubles. I'd just hate to have that change now.

muccione

I carry in Best Buy all the time. Front door security said he thought I was a leo the last time I was there. Had he asked me to leave I would had asked to get a refund for the $2000 I had just spent. Funny how companies that are having to close stores (Best Buy closed 50) would ask any customer to leave.

That policy is a employee one. Even Wally world has VERY strict "no weapons" policies for employees. They go as far as saying they can search your vehicle.

Carry till told you can't, Get the name of who told you to leave and call corporate and complain, I have done this two times.

ArmySoldier22

That policy is a employee one. Even Wally world has VERY strict "no weapons" policies for employees. They go as far as saying they can search your vehicle.

Carry till told you can't, Get the name of who told you to leave and call corporate and complain, I have done this two times.

I am an employee though lol, so that's why I'm not too sure on it right now. So I'm not sure what calling corporate to complain on my own supervisor would do lol. I'll be going in there tomorrow to pick up something, not working, so I'm going to carry anyway and see how it goes.

Edit: I just realized that the rest of your post probably wasn't in reference to mine lol.

Last edited:

chiefjason

I carry in Best Buy all the time. Front door security said he thought I was a leo the last time I was there. Had he asked me to leave I would had asked to get a refund for the $2000 I had just spent. Funny how companies that are having to close stores (Best Buy closed 50) would ask any customer to leave.

I'll assume that we have carried to the same store. I've been in several times with no issues. Spent 30 minutes working with an employee buying a camera and accessories while OC'ing. Nothing was said.

We can't go assuming that every business is anti gun simply because one employee is ignorant of the policy or simply trying to bluff you because they are anti. Until I see something from corporate or a sign on the door, I take all these with a grain of salt.

J_Oliver

So on a similar note, I work in maintenance at an apartment complex and the first thing I did my first day was check the company handbook. It says firearms are prohibited as per state and federal law. That being said, since neither state nor federal law prohibits firearms at apartment complexes, does that mean it's alright? Now keep in mind that I cannot confirm nor deny that I may or may not have carried for late night emergency calls.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

H

Herr Heckler Koch

. That being said, ... does that mean it's alright?
Is compliance with the employee handbook a condition of employment, explicit in your contract or implicit in your accepting remuneration under your employer's conditions as specified in the employee handbook?

J_Oliver

Is compliance with the employee handbook a condition of employment, explicit in your contract or implicit in your accepting remuneration under your employer's conditions as specified in the employee handbook?

I understand that I have to follow with what's set forth or otherwise implied. I'm just asking from a strictly word for word, literal standpoint. My son was born last Thursday so I've been out of work for a few days including today. I OC'd today to to work to show the baby off and didn't get looks or comments about my sidearm.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk