• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Family Dollar is against OC/CC

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I am an employee though lol, so that's why I'm not too sure on it right now. So I'm not sure what calling corporate to complain on my own supervisor would do lol. I'll be going in there tomorrow to pick up something, not working, so I'm going to carry anyway and see how it goes.

Edit: I just realized that the rest of your post probably wasn't in reference to mine lol.

If I understand your statement, you are an employee. Be prepared. All that they would have to do is state that you are "in the course of employment" and fire you. Depending on the state, "in the course of employment" could be broadly defined to include "picking up a check", "checking the following week's schedule", etc.

ArmySoldier22

If I understand your statement, you are an employee. Be prepared. All that they would have to do is state that you are "in the course of employment" and fire you. Depending on the state, "in the course of employment" could be broadly defined to include "picking up a check", "checking the following week's schedule", etc.

By picking up something, I mean I'll be buying something. So nothing work related. I don't know though.. In NC, they don't even have to have a reason. They can fire you for whatever they want. Maybe I should talk to them about it. If they don't allow me to, I'm just going to start driving another 5 miles down the road to the one where they don't know me.

muccione

I'll assume that we have carried to the same store. I've been in several times with no issues. Spent 30 minutes working with an employee buying a camera and accessories while OC'ing. Nothing was said.

We can't go assuming that every business is anti gun simply because one employee is ignorant of the policy or simply trying to bluff you because they are anti. Until I see something from corporate or a sign on the door, I take all these with a grain of salt.

It wasn't a negative thing. He was just shocked I wasn't a leo. It won't stop me from carrying in there.

muccione

By picking up something, I mean I'll be buying something. So nothing work related. I don't know though.. In NC, they don't even have to have a reason. They can fire you for whatever they want. Maybe I should talk to them about it. If they don't allow me to, I'm just going to start driving another 5 miles down the road to the one where they don't know me.

Personally I wouldn't carry there if you are a employee.
Two reasons. 1 you ARE a employee on the clock as well as off the clock when on company property. The company rules still apply.
2. co workers that know you carry, will know/assume you have a gun in your car while at work. You could get a breaking just for that.
Wal-Mart forbids firearms in your car while on property.
If you value your job than carrying MIGHT be a bad thing. Go to the other BB to buy your stuff and don't tell them your a employee until you check out.
I don't ask "is it OK for me to " I just do till told not to or read it in the employee handbook.
Good luck

ncwabbit

while employed in a situation where i wrote, posted, and enforced the violence in the workplace policies had to espouse the corp line if someone came to my office asking about keeping their firearm(s) in their vehicles in organizational parking lot(s)...not allowed and a termination offense!!

within a day after the initial encounter in my office i would later meet in the employee's workplace during a 'unannounced' safety walk through and privately chat, as a casual encounter, with the employee and mention they need to park in an adjacent parking lot or on the 'public' street and assure their 'property' was properly locked up, etc.

only had to do that a couple of times and the word spread through the organization quickly and it was interesting to note those employees who parked off site for the sake of getting a 'bit of exercise' by walking to and from work which is what they told fellow employees when asked why they parked 'way over there'!!

wabbit

ps: muccione is absolutely right on w/their advice...stay away from your place of employment when off duty...please heed the advice as it is an at will state...

Last edited:

chiefjason

It wasn't a negative thing. He was just shocked I wasn't a leo. It won't stop me from carrying in there.

The assuming part was more of a general statement. I've seen too many instances where folks get fired up, then corporate says the manager was wrong. As a general rule, I don't sweat it till I have something from corporate.

I was just backing you up that Best Buy has been fine for me. Probably could have clarified there were two points there and one was not related to the quote. Darn internet. ;)

Medic1210

RedEagle,

I also forgot to mention in the first post that this person also told me that both of the managers almost got fired for NOT asking me to leave, because someone from corporate had looked at the security tapes and saw that I was carrying in the store, and I wasn't asked to leave. I've now added that to the original post.

Someone from corporate looked at a single store's security tape? Sorry, but I'm betting your friend is embellishing his story a bit. Having worked in loss prevention for a large retail chain, I can assure you that folks from corporate have much better things to do than watch security tapes of general shoppers going about their business. About the only time I could ever imagine anybody in corporate watching a tape would be if a store manager was being investigated for embezzlement, and even then, only tapes showing said manager would be pulled. So based on that, my angus meter is at full alarm. Not saying you're not telling the truth, but rather that your friend wanted more "examples" to back his claim.

In regards to your policy, that is, as already pointed out, the policy for employees, visitors on official business, and vendors/contractors. If the company was against customer carry, they would post signage at the doors. The fact they state they will support local laws means if it's legal for the customer to do, they don't mind. I've carried openly in Family Dollar without any issue.

s&w_M&P_owner

Alright, sorry guys, I haven't been able to call FD yet. I was sick yesterday and was out most of the day today. So, just for clarification, ncwabbit and muccione, (I'll use Food Lion as an example here), your saying that if I'm off work that day, I should not carry in the Food Lion I work at, but instead go to another Food Lion in town? The problem with that may be that I've carried in every Food Lion in Reidsville :p

ncwabbit

sorry you are under the weather and hope back ship shape soon...let me work on how to word this for clarity as i just did a logic circle and confused myself :uhoh:...sigh...brb...

wabbit

Dreamer

Good luck. I was told to leave the Greensboro Best Buy a couple years ago. Only been back once since (cc'd) - and that was only because I was tagging along with a family member. Their manager told me that only LEOs are allowed to carry there, and that they don't care if my gun is carried openly or concealed - either way it is against policy. I noticed (but said nothing about) the lack of signage indicating this policy.

Damn yankees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I've OCed in Best Buys in NC (Raleigh, Greenville, Charlotte, Fayetteville) and never once had an issue.

I've also OCed in Best Buys all over VA, PA and WV, and never once had a single issue.

As for the OP, I used to OC in the Family Dollar stores in Washington NC and Greenville NC frequently, and never once has a single issue. Sounds like you've just got a frothing "anti" running the store where you live. That flyer you posted is from their employees manual, and is for INTERNAL policy, and only applies to employees and contractors. Unless they specifically list "customers" in their wording, they DO NOT have an official policy about OC. And if they are not posted, then you can go in their stores all day long and it's not a violation.

If they ask you to leave--policy or not/signs or not--if you leave immediately, there is no violation. Internal corporate policies DO NOT hold the weight of law, and an un-posted property is, by default, sending the message to customers that they welcome lawful carry. If they run you an attitude after you enter their property, then just take your money elsewhere, and post them as "negative" on "Firend or Foe"...

Glock19fan

I have OCd into our local FD a thousand times it seems like and it has neve been an issue. I know that the employes have seen me carry, but not once have they said a word about it. If they told me that I couldnt, my business would go somewhere else.

s&w_M&P_owner

As for the OP, I used to OC in the Family Dollar stores in Washington NC and Greenville NC frequently, and never once has a single issue. Sounds like you've just got a frothing "anti" running the store where you live.

If they ask you to leave--policy or not/signs or not--if you leave immediately, there is no violation. Internal corporate policies DO NOT hold the weight of law, and an un-posted property is, by default, sending the message to customers that they welcome lawful carry. If they run you an attitude after you enter their property, then just take your money elsewhere, and post them as "negative" on "Firend or Foe"...

That may be the case here then. I know when this incident happened (apparently it was the Assistant Manager who almost got in trouble), they had a "holding manager" (they were in the process of changing managers), so that may have had something to do with it. Nonetheless, I'm still going to call the corporate office tomorrow just to verify that they DO NOT have any policies against it. It can't hurt, and may help me if they give me a problem next time I carry in there. Oh, trust me, I would take my business elsewhere (like to the local Food Lion) if they gave me attitude or asked me to leave, and I would call their corporate office as well.

s&w_M&P_owner

I have OCd into our local FD a thousand times it seems like and it has neve been an issue. I know that the employes have seen me carry, but not once have they said a word about it. If they told me that I couldnt, my business would go somewhere else.

The employees had seen me plainly carrying as well, and nothing was ever said, and there were no issues. But apparently this just came up out of the blue for some reason, and then I was notified. Oh, I will take my business elsewhere if they told me to leave. That's what I did with Sears.

NCBobD

The employees had seen me plainly carrying as well, and nothing was ever said, and there were no issues. But apparently this just came up out of the blue for some reason, and then I was notified. Oh, I will take my business elsewhere if they told me to leave. That's what I did with Sears.

Sears Corporate policy is to follow state regulations when it comes to customers carrying in their stores. Just like Starbucks, Walmart and other national chains. Just because one runs into an ignorant, anti-gun, employee doesn't necessarily mean they're represntative o corporate policy.

ArmySoldier22

On my issue, I talked with one of my supervisors today who happens to be pro-gun. I showed him what's stated in the no firearm policy that's signed "which is like half a paragraph long", and asked him about being off work and carrying. His reply was "Ummmm.... yeah.... I'll get back to you on that". So we'll see... I know it's sort of off topic from the OPs post, and I'm not trying to hijack your thread lol, but I just figured that since I posted my question in here, I'd let you guys know what comes of it. I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever wonder about the carrying policies for a company while off the clock.

nobama

I would honestly think that anyone could carry off work. The company I work for has a no firearms policy, but I guarentee that I am able to carry whenever I want outside of work. I would also bet you could carry into the store you work at if you werent on the clock and just shopping.

ArmySoldier22

I would honestly think that anyone could carry off work. The company I work for has a no firearms policy, but I guarentee that I am able to carry whenever I want outside of work. I would also bet you could carry into the store you work at if you werent on the clock and just shopping.

And that would be my thought process on it as well. I just know that the world isn't full of people with common sense, so I just assume that whatever I'm going to do, somebody's going to be there to make it harder for me in some way lol. So I was just trying to make sure my bases were covered and that nothing could be done to me.

cap-n-ball

After talking to my friend who is a manager at a Family Dollar store she said that policy you posted is for employees. she saw no reason why a customer shouldn't be able to carry and in her opinion it wasn't right for anyone open carrying to be asked to leave the store. As far as FoodLion and Wallyworld here around Salisbury most freak at the mention of the word gun and will likely call law enforcement if they see or suspect anything.

muccione

And that would be my thought process on it as well. I just know that the world isn't full of people with common sense, so I just assume that whatever I'm going to do, somebody's going to be there to make it harder for me in some way lol. So I was just trying to make sure my bases were covered and that nothing could be done to me.

You can carry off company property. What you do off the clock and off property is your business only.
Now carrying while on company property will most likely off limits. On or off the clock.
Don't ask to many questions from your employer. You might not like the answers.