• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry, Tactical or Strategic?

NHCGRPR45

For a guy who does not like open carry he sure does promote it! Great article IMO, read on!

." Now, when I say tactical I’m not referring to bayonets or picatinny rails on your carry weapon but tactical in the sense of what’s going on when the SHTF. And from that kind of a tactical standpoint open carry is mostly a bad thing . . .First, if BGs know that you’re carrying they can target you to get your gun, either violently or clandestinely (although I think it would be awfully hard to pickpocket a holster). Second, if BGs are planning or executing an armed robbery, carrying openly means that you lose the advantage of surprise. It marks you as someone to be watched closely or, possibly, shot first."

His very next sentence is.....
:p
"On the other hand, open carry has also been known to deter armed robbers."

The next paragraph is....Wait for it.....
:shocker:

"Open carry can also make you the target of ignorant or unreasonable cops. I was open carrying at a gem and lapidary show once and was accosted by a couple of Bloomington, Minnesota cops. They ran my permit and harassed me as much as they could, finishing up with one of them saying “You know if we get a robbery call to this location you’re the first person we’re going to shoot.” Interesting use of force guidelines in that department if they are going to shoot someone with a holstered weapon wearing a bright red shirt that says SECURITY in 2-inch high letters front and back. In fact I’ve had several of what a friend of mine referred to as moments of unusual interest in dealing with various police departments."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/bruce-w-krafft/open-carry-tactical-or-strategic/

griffin

“You know if we get a robbery call to this location you’re the first person we’re going to shoot.” Interesting use of force guidelines in that department if they are going to shoot someone with a holstered weapon wearing a bright red shirt that says SECURITY in 2-inch high letters front and back.

Nice.

OC for ME

For a fella, Mr. Krafft, who claims to be passionate about civil rights, especially those of the firearm flavor. he sure does/did go out of his way to make LE feel better.

stainless1911

Banned
Both

[h=2]tac·ti·cal[/h]   [tak-ti-kuhl] Show IPA
adjective 1. of or pertaining to tactics, especially military or naval tactics.

2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.

3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.

4. expedient; calculated.

5. prudent; politic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[h=2]stra·te·gic[/h]   [struh-tee-jik] Show IPA
adjective 1. pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of strategy: strategic movements.

2. important in or essential to strategy.

3. (of an action, as a military operation or a move in a game) forming an integral part of a stratagem: a strategic move in a game of chess.

4. Military . a. intended to render the enemy incapable of making war, as by the destruction of materials, factories, etc.: a strategic bombing mission.

b. essential to the conduct of a war: Copper is a strategic material.