• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brighton Colorado, ...Educated a Fellow Citizen!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Saturday morning found the wife and me in Brighton. I work in Brighton. Saturday was my day off. And there I was in Brighton!!!!

We had an appointment for 9:30 to get our taxes done at H & R Crock. Cost us dear, I gotta tell ya. But we'll get money back eventually, and that'll offset the expense. Don't get me started on the whole tax law thing or we'll be here till the second coming!

Anyhow, I was open carrying, as usual. We went in, stated we had an appointment, and we'd need to wait for a few minutes until one of their agents got freed up! Rather than sit there, pistol to my head (government taxes is like that, don'cha know...) I decided I could use that time better by strolling next door to the Starbucks for a couple cups of Joe and something breakfasty to munch. Knowing that Brighton P.D. frequent the place, I walked in hoping to enjoy a nice chat with their finest about my right to carry. Oddly enough, there wasn't any to be found in Starbucks that morning, which just proves the old adage: They're never around when you want them! LOL!

Returning to H & R with a black regular coffee for myself and a square of coffee cake, along with the latte my wife told me to fetch for her, I noticed she was already seated at a desk with one of their agents. I strolled over and took a seat next to 'better looking than me' and we got cranking on the whole tax return fecal festival!

With that chore out of the way, along with the waste of about 90 minutes of our Saturday, we stepped out and the wife decided to get something to munch at Starbucks. So, we headed back next door so she could slake her desires. While I waited outside, a gentleman came out of Starbucks and asked "Are you a police officer or something? You got a permit to carry that pistol?" I smiled all amiable like and replied "Nope! Just a law abiding citizen who carries his sidearm for personal protection! I do have a concealed carry permit, but I choose how to carry my sidearm." The man reached out his hand and shook mine! "I am delighted to see somebody exercise their 2nd Amendment right to carry!" That gave me a chance to educate him that the Colorado Constitution; specifically Article 2, sections 3 and 13, go beyond the U.S. Constitution in affirming that right.

Next thing you know, we're into a very cordial discussion of open carry, legal issues, LEO encounters and a whole bunch of stuff. My new acquaintance was all sorts of curious about carrying without a permit and I gave him some terrific information. Along the way I told him about the OCDO forum and recommended he check out our little homestead on the internet. I explained to him that the Colorado branch of the OCDO forum is full of the most friendly folks anywhere in cyber-space and invited him to check it out. I also told him he could learn a great deal here about everything from local jurisdictions, LEO encounters, gear for OC'ing, the laws by which we function, and all manner of stuff along those lines. He appeared to be quite excited about the information I was sharing, and stated he'd definately check out the OCDO forum.

Shows to go ya... we are each an ambassador for open carry. This movement will grow as more folks get educated to their right to carry, and begin to adopt the practice in everyday life. A cordial and informative disposition helps to draw interest from others who may ultimately join us in our cause. Even if not, the people we chat with about OC learn facts that dispell much of the propaganda that antis like to hoodwink people into believing. It is a positive influence that we remain courteous, helpful, informative and most of all... approachable. You never know how many folks you may influence on an average day simply by comportment as we go about our daily chores.

As for my friend up in Brighton, I hope he decides to join the OCDO forum and become a member of this outfit. Even if not, I think it would be terrific to see him again one day, with a pistol carried openly on his hip! If nothing else, I gave him a heap of information to ponder, and helped him learn more about Open Carry!

As for me, I celebrated getting taxes out of my hair by going out and buying a sharp 2008 Jeep Liberty (ironic aint it?)!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Went to Brighton this morning, got new floor mats for the Jeep I just got. OC'd there. Because of a young gal who drove wrecklessly on the highway, I called the cops because she appeared to be an accident searching desperately for some place to happen at. Because it involved me, I made the call and ended up at a local high school she was going to.

Cop asked if I wanted to write a ticket. Turned out to be a Brighton cop, BTW. I told him no, just give her a good "talking to" and maybe put a good scare into her before she hurts somebody or worse. He commented on my empty holster, and I told him the pistol was locked away in the car for the time being, what with us all gathered up on a school parking lot and all. Nothing more was said on that particular matter.

I told the cop that I ain't interested in causing the girl a big legal hassle with the courts, but that she needs to understand and respect the responsibility of driving a car on the highway, and an onus upon her to do so safely.

Other than that bright spot in my morning, the rest of the day didn't go as well as expected.

Hope ya'll done better.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Cop asked if I wanted to write a ticket. Turned out to be a Brighton cop, BTW. I told him no, just give her a good "talking to" and maybe put a good scare into her before she hurts somebody or worse. He commented on my empty holster, and I told him the pistol was locked away in the car for the time being, what with us all gathered up on a school parking lot and all. Nothing more was said on that particular matter.

Botta-boom, botta-bing, M. That's the way to do it. Could have gone very differently for you any other way.

I told the cop that I ain't interested in causing the girl a big legal hassle with the courts, but that she needs to understand and respect the responsibility of driving a car on the highway, and an onus upon her to do so safely.

Good for you! Far too many folks are afraid of contacting local law enforcement, thinking the moment they do, the LEO's will ransack their place.

I've called 911 nearing a dozen times over the years. Each and every response has been handled very professionally, including the three 911 calls I've made here in the Springs. Bottom line: Be honest, be professional.

O2HeN2

I'm the last person in the world that should be the grammar police, but this typo was just too good, altering the meaning of the sentence completely:
Because of a young gal who drove wrecklessly on the highway...
When I drive, I strive to be wreckless too! And I've only failed once!

I do however dislike reckless drivers!

:)

O2

M-Taliesin

I'm the last person in the world that should be the grammar police, but this typo was just too good, altering the meaning of the sentence completely:

When I drive, I strive to be wreckless too! And I've only failed once!

I do however dislike reckless drivers!

:)

O2

Howdy O2!
Point taken! Well noted.
She failed on that particular day as well.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin