Thread: Moving to Indiana

Moving to Indiana

Well I'm moving to Plymouth, Indiana for about 6 months. Going to work at a resort down there for my internship. I'm sure I'll still post on here but my OC experiences will probably be from Indiana. The nice thing is I'll be in a state where I can carry openly or concealed and the whole transport and PFZs really won't be an issue for me.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

When's the move?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    When's the move?
    I'll be moving down there the second or third week in May.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

hope you stay active in the MI forum
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Sorry to hear that. Just know that you do not have certain rights in Indiana, here is just a sampling...

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/g...3df229697.html

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Just know that you do not have certain rights in Indiana, here is just a sampling...

This has been overturned as of two weeks ago!

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...worries-police

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalOCarrier View Post

That said, you have no worries! I've been living in Indianapolis since July of 2011. Open carrying for about 4 months now and I havnt had any issues as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalOCarrier View Post

They handle the "no knock" issue as well?

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion...cc2a53cc0.html

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post

They actually passed a bill just recently saying otherwise. It does not go into effect until July 1st but I don't plan on shooting any cops even if they are entering illegally anyhow.

ETA: http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/604018
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 04-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.

As a born and raised Hoosier, the state is very gun friendly; "we" have had a concealed carry law since before anyone here was born (1934, Flori-duh was not the first) so every LEO in Indiana has spent his entire career with it on the books. Unless they have gotten stupid since I left there is no laundry list of prohibited places, no "gun buster" signs etc. But you will be in the edge of what we call "Da Region", Chicago influence, any eastward travel gets more Chicago like; too bad you're not headed for my neck of the woods, south central hill country, "It's like a whole nother state".

Banned
    You'll be missed, I like you man.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I'll be moving down there the second or third week in May.
    Just be sure you get your Indiana license to carry before you start OCing. Indiana is not a "traditional" OC state. You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana. Much like PA, Indiana's permission slip is not a concealed license, it is simply a license to carry a handgun.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Good luck, have fun, learn lots of stuff, and be safe.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Just be sure you get your Indiana license to carry before you start OCing. Indiana is not a "traditional" OC state. You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana. Much like PA, Indiana's permission slip is not a concealed license, it is simply a license to carry a handgun.
    Thanks for the heads up but I already do have a carry permit (North Dakota and Maine). And because I won't actually be a resident of Indiana while I'm down there I can carry on those.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    You'll be missed, I like you man.
    Thanks. I'm sure I'll still post on here and keep up on all the stuff going on in Michigan.

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    As a born and raised Hoosier, the state is very gun friendly; "we" have had a concealed carry law since before anyone here was born (1934, Flori-duh was not the first) so every LEO in Indiana has spent his entire career with it on the books. Unless they have gotten stupid since I left there is no laundry list of prohibited places, no "gun buster" signs etc. But you will be in the edge of what we call "Da Region", Chicago influence, any eastward travel gets more Chicago like; too bad you're not headed for my neck of the woods, south central hill country, "It's like a whole nother state".
    Indiana does not have a concealed carry law. Currently, the law is silent on the manner in which a properly licensed individual carries his or her handgun. While "No Guns Allowed" signs on private do not carry the weight of law, if you are carrying a gun and are asked to leave by the person that owns said property, or represents the owner of said property and do not leave, you can be charged with treaspassing.

If you are interested, the Indiana State Police have a FAQ on their website located here http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Fir...ng_FAQs(1).pdf. Pertinent information starts on Page 7.

Indiana requires a valid License to Carry Handgun (if an Indiana resident) or a license, permit, CPL, etc. from a state that Indiana recognizes in order to carry your handgun period, not just OC.

Quote Originally Posted by BGordon42 View Post
    Indiana requires a valid License to Carry Handgun (if an Indiana resident) or a license, permit, CPL, etc. from a state that Indiana recognizes in order to carry your handgun period, not just OC.
    I thought that's what I said. I didn't bother with the "state that Indiana recognizes" stuff, since as I recall, Indiana recognizes ALL states licenses/permits to carry.

I grew up in Indiana, and had a License to carry a Handgun, BEFORE Indiana went to Shall issue status. Back when I got mine, you had to have a reason, or else know someone. I knew someone. I had my first license when I was 19.
    Big Gay Al

I thought that's what I said. I didn't bother with the "state that Indiana recognizes" stuff, since as I recall, Indiana recognizes ALL states licenses/permits to carry.

I grew up in Indiana, and had a License to carry a Handgun, BEFORE Indiana went to Shall issue status. Back when I got mine, you had to have a reason, or else know someone. I knew someone. I had my first license when I was 19.
    Sorry about that Al I guess what I focused on was when you said "You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana." In my mind I interpreted that to mean that you needed an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to OC in Indiana when in fact you just need an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to carry regardless of which mode (OC or CC) you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by BGordon42 View Post
    Sorry about that Al I guess what I focused on was when you said "You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana." In my mind I interpreted that to mean that you needed an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to OC in Indiana when in fact you just need an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to carry regardless of which mode (OC or CC) you choose.
    Yeah, no harm. I usually just refer to what you might need to OC in any particular place, since this forum is about OCing in general. Sometimes I forget that not everyone sees things the same EXACT way I do.

An interesting anecdote, my mother had an Indiana LTCH back in the 1960's. She got it because part of her responsibility for her job was making nightly deposits, and a friend on the local police suggested she get a gun and an LTCH. He helped her get the LTCH. She picked the pistol, an Iver Johnson .32 S&W revolver. So far as I can remember, she only had to draw it once, and never had to shoot it at anything alive. The one guy she drew on, dropped his switchblade and ran. Typical 1960's street punk.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 04-09-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: corrected the year.
    Big Gay Al