• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Random Thought/Question.

DrakeZ07

Has any of our Kentucky OC'ing brethern thought of, or tried to run for, any state/local/federal elected office? If no, than why not? If yes, discuss.

I'm approaching 24 myself, the minimum age to run for state representative, and despite my sexuality being a massive hindrence to any chance at winning an election, been thinking and talking to friends/family about running for my districts office of state rep maybe in 2013/2014 whenever the second/or next state rep election cycle starts.

I honestly would love to see some of you all run for an elected position of some sort. It may not seem like much, but I know there are plenty of Kentucky Counties that have Elected Constable positions. Which are for the most part, an un-paid, volunteer-esqe County Peace Officer position, with basically the same authority as a Sheriff. With little, to, no training/education requirements. Possibly a good position to have a couple OC'ers run for, and secure the seat, to give ourselves a little bit more of an edge, and a bigger bite when it comes to advancing our cause.

I'm sure we have a couple, or more, members who are of age for state senator, or federal senator, maybe take a chance at governor? (Jokingly, I'll side with you on anything you all want, if you gimme a state job, like KBEMS director, or something fun and lazy with good pay, hell, I'll even take Agriculture Secretary.)

Thoughts? I'd like to know what and how everyone things about this stuff, as I haven't seen much serious discussion (or haven't noticed it, if it has been brought up before), Concerns? How could a person, or our lil community here pull and work together, to help another run on a platform solely on Gun rights and/or Open Carry/Concealed Carry. Do you all think it would be beneficial to have another OC'er working within the government, in some/any form, to help keep things in line with other governmental officials, etc?

Rudderpinne

I know I'm really new here, well posting anyway. I have read a lot!

It's funny you bring this up, I was talking to some friends and was thinking of running for governor/something of that sort.

I mean whats the worst thing that happens I dont make it?

There is more background on it, when I'm not on my phone I'll post up a better reason!

09jisaac

I know I'm really new here

We don't require anyone to be of a long term OCDO user to post. It seems like the newbies are just as interested in our rights as the old timers.

I'm planning on running for sherrif the next election. Our current is retiring, and if I don't win, o well.

Best of luck with that. Anyone already through their hat in the ring?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
We don't require anyone to be of a long term OCDO user to post. It seems like the newbies are just as interested in our rights as the old timers.

Not yet that I know of. Rex Castle normally runs, but since he was recently arrested for DV charges, I doubt he will be running this time.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Two years after I moved here I was elected town board member, on a conservative ("NO!") pro-2A agenda, by the largest margin in our history, like 300 out of 600 registered with 400+ voting. I served one two year term, to be unseated by a tax-and-spend businessman for his margin voting their pocketbooks. Our economy is very constrained.

09jisaac

Two years after I moved here I was elected town board member, on a conservative ("NO!") pro-2A agenda, by the largest margin in our history, like 300 out of 600 registered with 400+ voting. I served one two year term, to be unseated by a tax-and-spend businessman for his margin voting their pocketbooks. Our economy is very constrained.

That is very good. I wasn't trying to imply that Glockster had slim chances to win if that was how it seemed. I was merely wishing him luck and asking about his opponents.

langzaiguy

I serve on the board of my county's housing authority. Far from prestigious though. My state rep rents a room from me and he's been encouraging me to run for something. With a baby on the way, I doubt it'll happen soon.

DrakeZ07

I'm planning on running for sherrif the next election. Our current is retiring, and if I don't win, o well.

-Awesome, man. Hey if you win, think you can let me get by with driving as fast as cops on your roads with immunity? :p Seriously though, I'd be happy to do anything I can to help you win an election, you'll have my support.

I know I'm really new here, well posting anyway. I have read a lot!

It's funny you bring this up, I was talking to some friends and was thinking of running for governor/something of that sort.

I mean whats the worst thing that happens I dont make it?

There is more background on it, when I'm not on my phone I'll post up a better reason!

--Which party and platform would you run on/with? Have any plans on how to get the message and campaigning across? I'd like to know more, and what you would plan to say/do, if you did indeed win the election for governor.

I serve on the board of my county's housing authority. Far from prestigious though. My state rep rents a room from me and he's been encouraging me to run for something. With a baby on the way, I doubt it'll happen soon.

Any job on a official scale is better, and serves to help our cause moreso than just as a normal fighting citizen. Not that I'm discounting the efforts of regular people like us who aren't in a "position of power" (no matter how little power it may involve). I'm sure if everyone banded together, and offered to help each other who is running for election, by running around with fliers, cards, and stuff, I'm sure we could make a big difference.

One thing of note, I think the best way for us to stay united in this, is if we run primarily for OC, and keeping our RKBA/OC the main purpose, and objective. I wouldn't want to see one of us get elected, and then get distracted from the main cause that we was elected on, and end up being just like the politicians in Washington. Stay true, and stay wise, ya know? As diverse as we all are, with various political and socio-economic views, I'm sure if we stuck to our principles that brings us here, we can win out, right? Not let other issues, and other political leanings cloud our judgement~

KYGlockster

Activist Member
One of the major issues I would run on would be equality and solidarity. If we as citizens must obey the laws, then every deputy and every other official in my county will abide by the same laws, or face prosecution. The sherrif is a very powerful posistion, much more so than most people think. The sherrif has the ability to remove and or arrest local, state, and federal officials if they are not playing by the rules. There is a problem in Boyd County with law enforcement believing they are above the law, and I would put an end to that issue. I believe these issues, and respecting everyone's constitutional rights is the only platform to run on. If your not going to respect my rights as a free man, and let me be to live my life, your not getting my vote, and I'm sure there are many more who feel the same.

I seriously doubt I have any chance of winning, but what good can I do if I don't even try right?

DrakeZ07

One of the major issues I would run on would be equality and solidarity. If we as citizens must obey the laws, then every deputy and every other official in my county will abide by the same laws, or face prosecution. The sherrif is a very powerful posistion, much more so than most people think. The sherrif has the ability to remove and or arrest local, state, and federal officials if they are not playing by the rules. There is a problem in Boyd County with law enforcement believing they are above the law, and I would put an end to that issue. I believe these issues, and respecting everyone's constitutional rights is the only platform to run on. If your not going to respect my rights as a free man, and let me be to live my life, your not getting my vote, and I'm sure there are many more who feel the same.

I seriously doubt I have any chance of winning, but what good can I do if I don't even try right?

You may well be the only LEO in the state, or much of the U.S., who would dare to enforce laws on other LEO's. And you do make a remarkable point, too. Countless times, I've been driving on the interstate, keeping my C.B. and Cop scanner on, hearing nothing of note, going (yes, I'll admit it here) a couple miles over the limit, to stay with the flow of traffic (and to avoid the people who love to tailgate me). Looking in my rear view mirror, getting ready to pass a car, and all of a sudden, a state boy goes flying past, no lights, no sirens, doing twenty+ over the limit. Or, be traveling down the state roads, and having a local cop tailgate me for miles on end. Not tail gating, as in, less than a car-link from my bumper. More like, tail-gating as in, a few inches from my bumper. Both things are illegal for us regular citizens to do, and extremely dangerous more-so in the latter case. But LEO's seem to get by with it.

The only problem you may face, is simply, how do you enforce laws on the enforcers? You would need a half dozen like-minded LEO's on your side, always patrolling, pulling Over-time, just to keep an eye out for cops, and citizens, who break the law. And what of possible draw-backs to enforcing laws on other LEO's? Like, say, you ticket a LEO, on or off-duty, for breaking the speed limit, or for tail-gating. What if that LEO attempts to get revenge, or tell's his buddies, and you have a drama, or gods forbid, a LE sh*t storm over it? See the Miama cop who got arrested by the Florida state patrol woman for an example.

How far would you go to help advance the rights of everyoen to OC, and to self-defense? Not to question you, or your will-power in the least bit, but, what and how would you do/act differently, to keep from falling into the mind-set that nearly all LEO's, across the U.S., fall in line with? Corruption, God complex, Above-the-law type stuff? How would you go about hiring Deputies who will follow your guide-lines, that you know you can trust them to not break the law themselves, and to treat everyone, with or without a badge, fairly under the color of law?

Cgm2414

You may well be the only LEO in the state, or much of the U.S., who would dare to enforce laws on other LEO's. And you do make a remarkable point, too. Countless times, I've been driving on the interstate, keeping my C.B. and Cop scanner on, hearing nothing of note, going (yes, I'll admit it here) a couple miles over the limit, to stay with the flow of traffic (and to avoid the people who love to tailgate me). Looking in my rear view mirror, getting ready to pass a car, and all of a sudden, a state boy goes flying past, no lights, no sirens, doing twenty+ over the limit. Or, be traveling down the state roads, and having a local cop tailgate me for miles on end. Not tail gating, as in, less than a car-link from my bumper. More like, tail-gating as in, a few inches from my bumper. Both things are illegal for us regular citizens to do, and extremely dangerous more-so in the latter case. But LEO's seem to get by with it.

The only problem you may face, is simply, how do you enforce laws on the enforcers? You would need a half dozen like-minded LEO's on your side, always patrolling, pulling Over-time, just to keep an eye out for cops, and citizens, who break the law. And what of possible draw-backs to enforcing laws on other LEO's? Like, say, you ticket a LEO, on or off-duty, for breaking the speed limit, or for tail-gating. What if that LEO attempts to get revenge, or tell's his buddies, and you have a drama, or gods forbid, a LE sh*t storm over it? See the Miama cop who got arrested by the Florida state patrol woman for an example.

How far would you go to help advance the rights of everyoen to OC, and to self-defense? Not to question you, or your will-power in the least bit, but, what and how would you do/act differently, to keep from falling into the mind-set that nearly all LEO's, across the U.S., fall in line with? Corruption, God complex, Above-the-law type stuff? How would you go about hiring Deputies who will follow your guide-lines, that you know you can trust them to not break the law themselves, and to treat everyone, with or without a badge, fairly under the color of law?

Just wanted to let you know that having A scanner that can pick up police bands in your vehicle is a big no-no in KY.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/432-00/570.pdf

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Just wanted to let you know that having A scanner that can pick up police bands in your vehicle is a big no-no in KY.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/432-00/570.pdf

I'm a volunteer EMT-Basic, hun, the scanner the station captain gave me, picks up Fire/EMS, and LEO frequencies. It's used as part of my job, to pick up any calls, or dispatches sent out by LEO/Fire dispatch, when I am on the road, or otherwise cannot receive a cell call due to poor service, so I can respond immediately to the scene to provide Basic Life Support, and critical care on scene, while waiting for one of the on-station vollies to bring the bus around, then transport the patient to the closest E.R.

I'm exempt from that statue under sub-section 5.

Cgm2414

I'm a volunteer EMT-Basic, hun, the scanner the station captain gave me, picks up Fire/EMS, and LEO frequencies. It's used as part of my job, to pick up any calls, or dispatches sent out by LEO/Fire dispatch, when I am on the road, or otherwise cannot receive a cell call due to poor service, so I can respond immediately to the scene to provide Basic Life Support, and critical care on scene, while waiting for one of the on-station vollies to bring the bus around, then transport the patient to the closest E.R.

I'm exempt from that statue under sub-section 5.

I was just basing that off of how you said that you let your EMT license lapse when we were at the shooting range. Didn't know you were still active being as you worked in a factory not to awful long ago. No offense, but knock it off with the "Hun" stuff when you are addressing me.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

I was just basing that off of how you said that you let your EMT license lapse when we were at the shooting range. Didn't know you were still active being as you worked in a factory not to awful long ago. No offense, but knock it off with the "Hun" stuff when you are addressing me.

Since I was fired from GK, been going to night school to get my license back. While doing so, I'm working 'under the radar', so to speak. I'm sorry about not keeping my educational/employment activities posted, and up to date with the forum :p

Sorry about the 'hun' part, its kind of a habit to address people I know as that, more of a plutonic-affection type thing I use with people I've met, or call "friend", sorry if it offended you :-(

Last edited: