• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Random Thought/Question.

DrakeZ07

Back on topic, please? Would very much love to hear from some of the other veteran OC'ers, their feelings and views, if they ever thought of, or are thinking of running for any position, as well as hear from others as well, ya know? :D

UnfetteredMight

The sherrif is a very powerful posistion, much more so than most people think. The sherrif has the ability to remove and or arrest local, state, and federal officials if they are not playing by the rules.

100% accurate. The sheriff is the ultimate law enforcement officer in their respective jurisdictions.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I thought State boys was the highest LEO in any given area in the State?

Nope, the sherrif is the ranking official of a county.

About the scanner, there is a sub-section in that statute that prohibits confiscation if that is how you receive weather updates from NOAA. My scanner has a NOAA button I can hit and takes me right to their local frequency out of charelston. But this statute is overbearing, if I'm not using it to break the law, they should have no business telling me that I can't listen to them while driving down the road. Everything they say is public record, because they are working for me, and you.

Drake as far as OC goes, I would have the same views I do now. Leave people alone who are exercising their rights. You wanna protest, then protest. You gonna do it on "county" property?, not going to be bothered by the sherrif's department! We need to return to the constitution, or else we have nothing. Everyone should be free to exercise their rights however they seem fit.

garyh9900

I'm a volunteer EMT-Basic, hun, the scanner the station captain gave me, picks up Fire/EMS, and LEO frequencies. It's used as part of my job, to pick up any calls, or dispatches sent out by LEO/Fire dispatch, when I am on the road, or otherwise cannot receive a cell call due to poor service, so I can respond immediately to the scene to provide Basic Life Support, and critical care on scene, while waiting for one of the on-station vollies to bring the bus around, then transport the patient to the closest E.R.

I'm exempt from that statue under sub-section 5.

You understand you must have written permission from each agency that you have in the scanner? The fire chief giving you a scanner with law enforcement frequencies in it, doesn't make it legal, you must have written permission from every agency you listen to.

garyh9900

About the scanner, there is a sub-section in that statute that prohibits confiscation if that is how you receive weather updates from NOAA. My scanner has a NOAA button I can hit and takes me right to their local frequency out of charelston. But this statute is overbearing, if I'm not using it to break the law, they should have no business telling me that I can't listen to them while driving down the road. Everything they say is public record, because they are working for me, and you.
That subsection only applies if the secretary of Finance and Administration has approved your type of equipment. I'm not aware of the existence or lack of existence of a secretary's order on the subject. I've been involved in several cases of people with scanners in their vehicles, and so far none have beat the charge using that subsection.

I personally, don't see a problem with people using scanner in their vehicles, except it tends to add to people cluttering up major scenes. I also do not approve of agencies going to encrypted digital radios either. I always had both the city and county radios in my cruiser. Now the city has gone encrypted digital and no one can hear or talk to them. So much for interoperable communications.

The easiest thing for people to do is go get their amateur radio license.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

You understand you must have written permission from each agency that you have in the scanner? The fire chief giving you a scanner with law enforcement frequencies in it, doesn't make it legal, you must have written permission from every agency you listen to.

Our station is both Fire, and EMS. The City PD also operates out of the same building, along with the city water department. Fire, EMS, LEO, and yes even the Water Department, are all equipted with the same scanner I have in my vehicle. Until the KRS statue was brought up, I had no idea that I needed -written- permission from every department. I'll have to talk to the captain when he gets back from his lil vacation. I have known most of the cops, all two of them on the OPD, for a long while, and they haven't given myself, or anyone else, any crap or tickets about the scanners. Not that I am saying the law is unenforceable, or down-playing it at all, just think it's one of those things that is pretty much ignored, and over-looked at large by our LEO's. After all, the PD can listen in on our frequencies at anytime, and they DO dispatch us to scenes when our own dispatcher is off-duty.

I have a feeling I'm going to get laughed at by the PD, and the Captain for asking for written permission to use a scanner he, and the rest of the station personal uses, both at home and in their POV's.

DrakeZ07

That subsection only applies if the secretary of Finance and Administration has approved your type of equipment. I'm not aware of the existence or lack of existence of a secretary's order on the subject. I've been involved in several cases of people with scanners in their vehicles, and so far none have beat the charge using that subsection.

I personally, don't see a problem with people using scanner in their vehicles, except it tends to add to people cluttering up major scenes. I also do not approve of agencies going to encrypted digital radios either. I always had both the city and county radios in my cruiser. Now the city has gone encrypted digital and no one can hear or talk to them. So much for interoperable communications.

The easiest thing for people to do is go get their amateur radio license.

Some people dont have the big $$$ to spend on said radio license, or the training/testing/if any, for it.

In your cruiser? So your either an active, or retired, peace officer. As I said in a different post before this one; Most LEO's can tune in to pretty much any agency's frequency. Assuming your city and/or county scanner could do so, did you have exact, written permission, from the Fire Chief/Captain, EMS director, Sheriff/City P.D., and/or Public Works? Then again, I'm sure you was a City LEO, and not one located in a small populated county where your department is grouped in the same building as the other emergency services, using the barracks, and having a tight-knit working relationship with each other across the departments. That is, assuming you are/was a LEO at all. --Please don't take my words harshly, as "cop bashing", or as being "smart-assed", I mean nothing but serious discussion now that my thread has been effectively derailed :/

garyh9900

Our station is both Fire, and EMS. The City PD also operates out of the same building, along with the city water department. Fire, EMS, LEO, and yes even the Water Department, are all equipted with the same scanner I have in my vehicle. Until the KRS statue was brought up, I had no idea that I needed -written- permission from every department. I'll have to talk to the captain when he gets back from his lil vacation. I have known most of the cops, all two of them on the OPD, for a long while, and they haven't given myself, or anyone else, any crap or tickets about the scanners. Not that I am saying the law is unenforceable, or down-playing it at all, just think it's one of those things that is pretty much ignored, and over-looked at large by our LEO's. After all, the PD can listen in on our frequencies at anytime, and they DO dispatch us to scenes when our own dispatcher is off-duty.

I have a feeling I'm going to get laughed at by the PD, and the Captain for asking for written permission to use a scanner he, and the rest of the station personal uses, both at home and in their POV's.

It's not the locals I would worry about. It when your away from the people you know. I don't know what city or county you work in, but say you from Maysville, and for some reason your in Fayette County and a trooper stops you and sees your scanner. That is were you would have a problem.

garyh9900

Some people dont have the big $$$ to spend on said radio license, or the training/testing/if any, for it.

In your cruiser? So your either an active, or retired, peace officer. As I said in a different post before this one; Most LEO's can tune in to pretty much any agency's frequency. Assuming your city and/or county scanner could do so, did you have exact, written permission, from the Fire Chief/Captain, EMS director, Sheriff/City P.D., and/or Public Works? Then again, I'm sure you was a City LEO, and not one located in a small populated county where your department is grouped in the same building as the other emergency services, using the barracks, and having a tight-knit working relationship with each other across the departments. That is, assuming you are/was a LEO at all. --Please don't take my words harshly, as "cop bashing", or as being "smart-assed", I mean nothing but serious discussion now that my thread has been effectively derailed :/
Yes. The law specifically states it doesn't apply to official vehicles. But to cover the federal issues with transmitting on that frequency, every agency in our radios had inter-local agreements for use of the frequency.

Getting your amateur radio license isn't an expensive process. As I recall its a $10 or $20 test with free study guides online. You don't have to have any equipment or anything like that. The only equipment is what has been issued to me, I have put a couple of HAM frequencies in, but I rarely use them.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
How about we put our scanners away if there is an Leo walking up to our vehicles and not worry about it? They can't search your vehicle without RAS that a crime is being or has been committed, and if they do it will be dismissed in court thanks to the exclusionary rule and Mapp v. Ohio, because it was an illegal search. If it is found, well your just moving it from one place to another right? It wasn't on therefore it was not in use.

09jisaac

How about we put our scanners away if there is an Leo walking up to our vehicles and not worry about it? They can't search your vehicle without RAS that a crime is being or has been committed, and if they do it will be dismissed in court thanks to the exclusionary rule and Mapp v. Ohio, because it was an illegal search. If it is found, well your just moving it from one place to another right? It wasn't on therefore it was not in use.

What is legal and what you should do is, sometimes, two different things. I see it the way you do.

garyh9900

What someone doesn't know, doesn't usually don't hurt them. Just make sure you turn it off, I'd say hearing the traffic come through would be a dead give away...

MrOverlay

I thought State boys was the highest LEO in any given area in the State?

A peace officer, LEO, etc. are all the same as far as authority. Any of them can arrest any one else.

Sheriff can arrest a KSP, a Deputy Constable can arrest the Sherriff, KSP can arrest both of them and the circle goes round and round.

MrOverlay

One of the major issues I would run on would be equality and solidarity. If we as citizens must obey the laws, then every deputy and every other official in my county will abide by the same laws, or face prosecution. The sherrif is a very powerful posistion, much more so than most people think. The sherrif has the ability to remove and or arrest local, state, and federal officials if they are not playing by the rules. There is a problem in Boyd County with law enforcement believing they are above the law, and I would put an end to that issue. I believe these issues, and respecting everyone's constitutional rights is the only platform to run on. If your not going to respect my rights as a free man, and let me be to live my life, your not getting my vote, and I'm sure there are many more who feel the same.

I seriously doubt I have any chance of winning, but what good can I do if I don't even try right?

The fly in the ointment is you can make an arrest, but you still need someone to prosecute. I have made many arrest to only see them go down the toilet, not because of the case facts, but because someone short circuted the prosecution.

flb_78

Woohoo!! My turn to run the train off the track a little bit farther.

It's illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle in Kentucky. If you are pulled over and the officer sees it, he has the authority to remove and destroy the scanner on the scene. One who possesses an Amateur Radio License can keep a scanner in their vehicles. I've been licensed for over 20 years now. An license is cheap and stupidly easy to get now compared to my original tests.

DrakeZ07

Woohoo!! My turn to run the train off the track a little bit farther.

It's illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle in Kentucky. If you are pulled over and the officer sees it, he has the authority to remove and destroy the scanner on the scene. One who possesses an Amateur Radio License can keep a scanner in their vehicles. I've been licensed for over 20 years now. An license is cheap and stupidly easy to get now compared to my original tests.

So far I talked the Captain into giving me "written permission" covering the Fire side of things. P.D. Dispatcher, and Deputy Sheriff pretty much blew me off on it. I just don't see how it can be such a big deal to have a scanner, and all of your defiance for me having it -as part of my job-. It's not like I can transmit anything over it anyway; I could see the big deal and how illegal it would be, to be able to have the 2way's w/ scanner built in.

All of us vollies, have the option of paying an extra fifty bucks, and getting the tags and license plate, and therefore pay more on our car insurance for our POV's. Would that make it less illegal?

Can we please drop the topic of the scanner, and go back to the ORIGINAL INTENT of my post, politics and elections, etc? If it makes you all happy, and would shut ya up about the scanner, I'll simply leave it at home, or get the final 'written slip of permission' from the PD/Sheriff. Happy now?

Can't I have a thread about something not directly related to OC that isn't bunched up, chewed up, spit out, stepped on, and derailed off the crazy train into randomville? :p

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The fly in the ointment is you can make an arrest, but you still need someone to prosecute. I have made many arrest to only see them go down the toilet, not because of the case facts, but because someone short circuted the prosecution.

Yes that would absolutely be aggravating, however, at least I could say I stood up to corruption and tyrrany and tried to make Law Enforcement legally enforce the law. If the prosecuting attorney would not be willing to prosecute government corruption and wrong doing, I would do everything I could to have him removed from office in the next election cycle.

I find this to be a major problem in our justice system, and it certainly needs to be addressed. We should return to the old way, (right way), of providing justice to victims, and punishment to criminals. If you are CONVICTED by a jury of your peers for a violent offense, you should hang for all to see in the courtyard. If you commit treason against the state or federal constitution, you suffer the severe penalties that came with that treason. If you violate the law, you are severly reprimanded. We could remove a great deal of legislation that is un-needed, if we punished people the way they should be punished. Yes we would see a increase in incarceration rates for a few decades, but people would stop committing criminal offenses if they were actually punished for their actions.

DrakeZ07

From the forum rules:

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC:
All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

You got it word for word.

To play symantics, what about indirectly related to OC? the Post was meant for elections running purely on OC, and related forms. I think I wasn't thinking right when I said "not directly related to OC", the wording escaped me for a moment.

A question/suggestion, how come there isn't a state specific social lounge within each state's sub-forum? Reason for asking, I don't think it would be proper to make a Kentucky Specific election/platform thread on OC/related stuff in the General Social Lounge, as I'd be seeking opinions and advice from a specific state, and not the entire Country/world. Just a thought~