• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland, California Oikos University school shooting 1033 PDT 04/02/12 FIVE DEAD

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date
H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://news.yahoo.com/christian-uni...dead-191231229--abc-news-topstories.html#next
By GILLIAN MOHNEY | ABC News – 1 hr 56 mins ago said:
At least five people are dead after a gunman opened fire at Oikos University, a Christian school in Oakland, Calif., this morning.

According to police the gunman fired multiple shots in the school at 10:33 a.m. Police have not said how many people were killed or wounded, but aerial video from the scene shows five bodies laid out under sheets on the school lawn.

Police described the suspect as an Asian male, 5-foot-9, wearing tan pants, according ABC station KGO-TV in San Francisco.

Although police have reportedly detained one person, it is unclear if that person was the gunman or if there was a continued threat on campus.

One witness described a chaotic scene in the moments after the shooting. Brian Snow was at a nearby credit union, when he first heard the shots and saw a victim run out of the building.

"I just heard more gunshots. A lady came out running and she had blood on her arm, but I didn't know how bad the wound was," Snow told KGO Radio. "She was just trying to make sure everyone was safe and took off her jacket and she had a big old hole in her arm."

Oikos University is a Christian university that focuses on nursing. The school's website describes students as "given the opportunity to obtain a Christian education that is based on solid Christian doctrine and ideology. Our main goal is to foster spiritual Christian leaders who abide by God's intentions and to expand God's nation through them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oikos_University

History and accreditation

Founded in 2004, the school's founder president is pastor Jongin Kim and the Chair of the Board is Youngkyo Choi. It is affiliated with the Praise God Korean Church in Oakland and Shepherd University of San Francisco.

Oikos has a School of Theology, Music, Nursing, and Asian medicine. It was licensed by the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education on May 13, 2011. It is also accredited by the state Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians. In 2011, the school applied for accreditation to teach acupuncture.

On April 2, 2012 the school was the scene of a mass shooting.[3] Six persons were killed and 3 injured; the alleged gunman was apprehended by police several hours after the shootings occurred.

https://news.google.com/news/story?q=oikos+university+shooting 1629 news articles

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9TT01I80@news.ap.org>&ps=1018

Last edited:

Chaingun81

HankT

State Researcher
Looks like another goof with a gun . . .

. . .suspect is 43-year-old One Goh of Oakland.

The suspect used a .45-caliber handgun, spraying a classroom with gunfire and firing additional shots as he ran out, said the source, who did not wish to be identified because the investigation is ongoing.

Goh had been a nursing student at Oikos University, located at 7850 Edgewater Road in East Oakland, and there was some kind of dispute that may have resulted in him getting kicked out of at least one class, the source said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/02/BABJ1NTM3Q.DTL&tsp=1

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Looks like another goof with a gun . . . SNIP

Does not "goof" trivialize the abhorrent nature of those who use force against others to solve problems?
Why not "criminal", or "murderer"? Heck, you could even throw in an "alleged".

It just sounds like: "Well that durn Bob went a killed a few more folks, what a goof!". Har har, yuk yuk.

Are those who drive over pedestrians "goofs in a car"?

HankT

State Researcher
Does not "goof" trivialize the abhorrent nature of those who use force against others to solve problems?
Why not "criminal", or "murderer"? Heck, you could even throw in an "alleged".

It just sounds like: "Well that durn Bob went a killed a few more folks, what a goof!". Har har, yuk yuk.

Are those who drive over pedestrians "goofs in a car"?

No. Goof with a gun is a construct introduced in prior discussions here at OCDO. Basically, it means a generally law-abiding person who is a legal gun owner and/or carrier and who does something with his/her gun that is stupid, unsafe, idiotic, needlessly dangerous or even criminal. A goof with a gun is one of us: a lawfully armed citizen. As such, his idiotic, dangerous, or criminal actions reflect on the normal, lawful gun owner/carrier community.

It's looking more and more like One Goh was a a goof with a gun. It's being reported that he was a U.S. citizen, had not committed any violent crimes, and had purchased a gun, possibly legally. If all this is true, that makes him one of us.

Even if Goh is not charged with or is convicted of a crime, he can still be accurately categorized as A goof with a gun. For example, George Zimmerman, even though his case has not been finalized yet, is clearly a goof with a gun. Another example is Tigh Croff. He is a goof with a gun, too. There are many others.

The key is whether the GWAG seriously and adversely affects the reputation and the rights of normal law-abiding gun owners/carriers.

P.S. I think your "goof in a car" idea is kind of a good start.

Fallschirjmäger

Um... no.
Goh is not like me, not at all. He didn't do some silly thing that was "... stupid, unsafe, idiotic, needlessly dangerous or even criminal..."
He murdered people.
To say that he's "just like one of us" is to say that "we're just like him, only one step away from doing something stupid, unsafe, idiotic, or even criminal."
It's saying we're just one step away from being murderers.

HankT

State Researcher
Um... no.
Goh is not like me, not at all. He didn't do some silly thing that was "... stupid, unsafe, idiotic, needlessly dangerous or even criminal..."
He murdered people.
To say that he's "just like one of us" is to say that "we're just like him, only one step away from doing something stupid, unsafe, idiotic, or even criminal."
It's saying we're just one step away from being murderers.

I did not say that Goh is "just like one of us."

Your argument falls apart . . .

HankT

State Researcher
Worse, you said he is one of us. *spits*
Sure, One Goh is one of us. Citizen. Long time resident of Virginia, then California. Worker. Business owner. Student. No criminal record. Brother in the Army, a Sgt., actually got killed in training.

Goe was a lawful gun owner. Passed the background check.

He is a standard All-American pro-gun advocate/gun owner. Just like we all are.

Then Goh blew up and tried to use the wrong tool to fix some problems. He became, instantly, a goof with a gun. (He'll assuredly get tried and convicted, too.)

Goh's actions bring disrepute upon the rest of us All-American pro-gun advocates and gun owners.

Other examples of persons who can best be described as a goof with a gun are George Zimmerman, Yalanda Parrish, Tigh Croff , Wayne Derkotch and anty506, one of our very very own.

Pity that the rest of us have to take the heat for what those folks have done. But that's the deal. We gotta stick together, I guess. Sometimes we even try to defend these GWAGs. Why, I never can understand.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Man, how on Earth did this happen? How can guns get into "Gun Free Zones"? I'm sure it was just a mistake...maybe there weren't enough signs for him to see. Perhaps they were too small? We should make them twice as big and glow in the dark, just in case these people come at night time. THAT'LL FIX IT FOR SURE.

www.Concealedcampus.org

Support us college students who live in Defense-free zones. Please...or at least "like" Students for Concealed Carry on Facebook.

Thank you,

Jake8x7

P.S. our national empty holster protest was this week. How sad is it that this happened on the first day of our protesting?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/3/students-with-empty-holsters-protest-gun-bans-on-c/

Last edited: