Thread: Lawful Age to Shoot

Lawful Age to Shoot

A quick Google search with the following question yielded no results, so I figured I'd ask the most knowledgeable community I can think of: Is there a minimum age required to use firearms? I know the laws to possess/purchase them, but have not come across anything about actually using them. I want to teach my youngest brother to shoot, but I'd prefer to not break the law doing so. Thanks in advance!
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

I have never heard of a law referring to this. I believe as long as the person in question is supervised by a competent adult who is of legal standing to possess said firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by rmansu2 View Post
    I have never heard of a law referring to this. I believe as long as the person in question is supervised by a competent adult who is of legal standing to possess said firearm.
    I haven't either, but figured it might be good to ask just in case. Thanks for the fast response!
    Once more into the fray.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Tapatalk iPhone app gives me the latest posts on all of OCDO. Yours was at the top when I logged in.

Quote Originally Posted by rmansu2 View Post
    Tapatalk iPhone app gives me the latest posts on all of OCDO. Yours was at the top when I logged in.
    That's what I use on my iPad, too. On an unrelated subject, does yours put your GPS location in the signature? Mine does and I have no idea how to turn it off. It's a little creepy..
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Go back to the main menu where you see your list of forums. At the bottom it should say settings. Turn Geotagging off.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Might use this as a guide, though the application is not a directly applicable - get written consent from parent or guardian.

"It is unlawful to allow a junior hunter (under the age of 16) to hunt without that hunter’s parent or guardian or a person at least 18 years of age approved by that hunter’s parent or guardian who either holds a valid Maine hunting license or has successfully completed an approved hunter safety course."
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...nlaws_me_2.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Might use this as a guide, though the application is not a directly applicable - get written consent from parent or guardian.

"It is unlawful to allow a junior hunter (under the age of 16) to hunt without that hunter’s parent or guardian or a person at least 18 years of age approved by that hunter’s parent or guardian who either holds a valid Maine hunting license or has successfully completed an approved hunter safety course."
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...nlaws_me_2.htm
    Thanks Grapeshot. I have seen this, but I'm not sure if I'd use it because it seems to be primarily directed towards hunting. I have taken a NRA basic pistol course to get my CCP, but am yet to complete any type of hunting course here.
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Regular Member Ballistic Otters's Avatar
    Now, this could be entirely wrong, but I've always thought that there just wasn't a law on the matter. That you could take someone to shoot at your discretion. If they're too young, don't take them or you'll likely get brought up on Endangering a Minor or something of the like. Just intuition, but I can't find a law about this.

§554-A. Unlawful transfer of a firearm other than a handgun to a minor
    1. As used in this section, the following terms have the following meanings.
    A. "Transfer" means to sell, furnish, give, lend, deliver or otherwise provide, with or without consideration. [1995, c. 263, §3 (NEW).]
    B. [2007, c. 512, §1 (RP).]
    C. "Sell" means to furnish, deliver or otherwise provide for consideration. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
    D. "Firearm" means a firearm other than a handgun as defined in section 554-B, subsection 1, paragraph A. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
    [ 2007, c. 512, §1 (AMD) .]
    2. A person is guilty of unlawfully transferring a firearm to a person under 16 years of age if that person, who is not the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person under 16 years of age, knowingly transfers a firearm to a person under 16 years of age. Violation of this subsection is a Class D crime.
    2-A. A person is guilty of unlawfully selling a firearm to a person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age if that person, who is not the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age, knowingly sells a firearm to a person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age.
    A. A person who violates this subsection commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $500 may be adjudged. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
    B. A person who violates this subsection after having been adjudicated as having committed one or more violations under this subsection commits a Class D crime. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
    [ 2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW) .]
    3. It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under subsection 2 that:
    A. The actor reasonably believed the person receiving the firearm had attained 16 years of age. A reasonable belief cannot be based solely upon the physical appearance of the person or upon the oral representation of that person as to that person's age; or [2007, c. 512, §1 (AMD).]
    B. The transfer of the firearm to the person under 16 years of age was approved by the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person under 16 years of age. [2007, c. 512, §1 (AMD).]
    3-A. It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under subsection 2-A that:
    A. The actor reasonably believed the person receiving the firearm had attained 18 years of age. A reasonable belief cannot be based solely upon the physical appearance of the person or upon the oral representation of that person as to that person's age; or [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
    B. The sale of the firearm to the person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age was approved by the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age.

SOURCE

§554-B. Unlawful transfer of handgun to minor
    Last edited by Maine CWP Training; 05-11-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063