• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawful Age to Shoot

MainelyGlock

A quick Google search with the following question yielded no results, so I figured I'd ask the most knowledgeable community I can think of: Is there a minimum age required to use firearms? I know the laws to possess/purchase them, but have not come across anything about actually using them. I want to teach my youngest brother to shoot, but I'd prefer to not break the law doing so. Thanks in advance!

rmansu2

I have never heard of a law referring to this. I believe as long as the person in question is supervised by a competent adult who is of legal standing to possess said firearm.

MainelyGlock

I have never heard of a law referring to this. I believe as long as the person in question is supervised by a competent adult who is of legal standing to possess said firearm.

I haven't either, but figured it might be good to ask just in case. Thanks for the fast response!

MainelyGlock

Tapatalk iPhone app gives me the latest posts on all of OCDO. Yours was at the top when I logged in.

That's what I use on my iPad, too. On an unrelated subject, does yours put your GPS location in the signature? Mine does and I have no idea how to turn it off. It's a little creepy..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Might use this as a guide, though the application is not a directly applicable - get written consent from parent or guardian.

"It is unlawful to allow a junior hunter (under the age of 16) to hunt without that hunter’s parent or guardian or a person at least 18 years of age approved by that hunter’s parent or guardian who either holds a valid Maine hunting license or has successfully completed an approved hunter safety course."
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_me_2.htm

MainelyGlock

Might use this as a guide, though the application is not a directly applicable - get written consent from parent or guardian.

"It is unlawful to allow a junior hunter (under the age of 16) to hunt without that hunter’s parent or guardian or a person at least 18 years of age approved by that hunter’s parent or guardian who either holds a valid Maine hunting license or has successfully completed an approved hunter safety course."
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_me_2.htm

Thanks Grapeshot. I have seen this, but I'm not sure if I'd use it because it seems to be primarily directed towards hunting. I have taken a NRA basic pistol course to get my CCP, but am yet to complete any type of hunting course here.

Ballistic Otters

Now, this could be entirely wrong, but I've always thought that there just wasn't a law on the matter. That you could take someone to shoot at your discretion. If they're too young, don't take them or you'll likely get brought up on Endangering a Minor or something of the like. Just intuition, but I can't find a law about this.

Maine CWP Training

§554-A. Unlawful transfer of a firearm other than a handgun to a minor
1. As used in this section, the following terms have the following meanings.
A. "Transfer" means to sell, furnish, give, lend, deliver or otherwise provide, with or without consideration. [1995, c. 263, §3 (NEW).]
B. [2007, c. 512, §1 (RP).]
C. "Sell" means to furnish, deliver or otherwise provide for consideration. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
D. "Firearm" means a firearm other than a handgun as defined in section 554-B, subsection 1, paragraph A. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
[ 2007, c. 512, §1 (AMD) .]
2. A person is guilty of unlawfully transferring a firearm to a person under 16 years of age if that person, who is not the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person under 16 years of age, knowingly transfers a firearm to a person under 16 years of age. Violation of this subsection is a Class D crime.
2-A. A person is guilty of unlawfully selling a firearm to a person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age if that person, who is not the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age, knowingly sells a firearm to a person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age.
A. A person who violates this subsection commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $500 may be adjudged. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
B. A person who violates this subsection after having been adjudicated as having committed one or more violations under this subsection commits a Class D crime. [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
[ 2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW) .]
3. It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under subsection 2 that:
A. The actor reasonably believed the person receiving the firearm had attained 16 years of age. A reasonable belief cannot be based solely upon the physical appearance of the person or upon the oral representation of that person as to that person's age; or [2007, c. 512, §1 (AMD).]
B. The transfer of the firearm to the person under 16 years of age was approved by the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person under 16 years of age. [2007, c. 512, §1 (AMD).]
3-A. It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under subsection 2-A that:
A. The actor reasonably believed the person receiving the firearm had attained 18 years of age. A reasonable belief cannot be based solely upon the physical appearance of the person or upon the oral representation of that person as to that person's age; or [2007, c. 512, §1 (NEW).]
B. The sale of the firearm to the person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age was approved by the parent, foster parent or guardian of the person 16 years of age or older and under 18 years of age.

SOURCE

§554-B. Unlawful transfer of handgun to minor

Last edited: