• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry as a Guest

ppardue1

This weekend I am traveling to pick up a saw from an individual who had it listed for sale. I started carrying in February and have yet to encounter this scenario so I will pose it to those more experienced.

When you travel to a location as a guest of the owner and in cases where you do not know the owner, do you:

A) Open carry with the "big deal, want to fight about it" mindset.
B) Conceal
C) Ask permission
D) Leave your gun in the car
E) Any other option I have neglected to consider

Clearly this question does not apply to "public" spaces such as stores. The only reason I hesitate is that this is his home. This is one of those cases where I can't say "Ok, I won't be back." should the owner not support open carry. (The saw was purchased by my brother-in-law, I am merely picking it up for him.)

Thanks for the input.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If I am going to someone's home I will typically inform them that I carry everyone I go. If they happen to have an objection, then I will honor their decision because it is their home or I will not go depending on the situation. It's all about respect.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Since I open carry, it is not difficult for someone to see I am carrying a gun.

Those times I have gone to someone's house/business for the first time I do nothing to hide the fact I am carrying, or to make the fact that I am carrying blatantly obvious. It is up to the person to tell me that they object, as I will not ask permission to exercise a right (RKBA or other ones).

Most of the time their noticing that I am open carrying results in either of two responses: 1) they see it but say nothing; or 2) they ask questions (is that legal, do you need a license, is that a Glock:banghead: (I carry a revolver); or we talk guns in general. On a few occassions I have run into someone who epresses concern or fear about the handgun and its presence. Usually that turns into a conversation about guns as tools, personal responsibility, and how to get involved (where to buy a gun, do I need a permit, when is your next meet&greet and do I have to own a gun/carry to be allowed to come?).

Very rarely someone will say something to the effect that they do not want the gun around. I allow no chip on my shoulder, I do not huff up with offense and/or indignation. And I do not apologize. But depending on where I am and why I am there (only provider of the service/goods I need, I was brought there socially by someone else and I can't get home on my own) I will either thank them for letting me know and 1) ask where I can safely store it while I conduct/conclude my business/visit; or 2) explain that since putting it outside in an unguarded vehicle is both unsafe and reckless I will just have to go away without conducting/concluding my business/visit. If option #2 is selected, it is carried out with as little attention drawn to it as possible.

Fortunately, folks who introduce me to/take me to meet/do business with someone I did not previosly know are OCers too, and they have scouted the path, cleared the way and know the way the person will likely react. And they know better than to take me where I would not be welcome.

stay safe.

ManInBlack

I generally just carry on. My pistol is hard to miss, and if they tell me not to be on their property while armed, I will promptly and politely comply.

I purchased a bow from an older gentleman a couple of hours east of here about a year ago. I went into his house open carrying, and he never said a word. We talked about hunting for awhile, then went out back to shoot the bow. He asked casually, "Are you law enforcement?" I smiled and replied, "No, I'm just an armed citizen, but I don't believe in paying the government for a concealed permit."

The old guy thought about that for a second, then said, "Well, that's right. It's none of their business anyway!" :monkey

ManInBlack

I did not vote A because I don't feel that I should be carrying a gun with a "want to fight about it" mindset.

^This.

I should also point out that in Alaska, it is statutorily required to inform and receive permission from an adult resident when entering with a concealed weapon; no requirement for OC. Not sure about other states' laws in that regard.

[h=2]AS 11.61.220. Misconduct Involving Weapons in the Fifth Degree.[/h] (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
(1)
is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
(B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;

ManInBlack

Your location is listed as Idaho. Shouldn't you know what Idaho's law is in that regard? :lol:

No duty to inform or ask permission in Washington. :dude:

Ha! Touche, good sir. No requirement to ask permission here in Idaho, either!

ppardue1

Thank you for your replies. I will carry as usual and see how the reception is. I will report back if it is anything other than friendly.

I should add that I understand and agree with the idea offered by NavyLCDR that a gun is a tool just like a cell phone. This was what provoked me to open carry as opposed to conceal as most of my friends do. I could not understand the irrational fear that my peers had for firearms (I am only a few years out of high school.) and open carry allows me to intoduce them to guns in a context where they have no reason to fear them.