• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why I OC

Sir Blastalot

Hi everyone
I thought I would relate the story on why I started to OC when I used to think it was a bad idea.
Well last year in May my 1 1/2yr old son took a bad fall and wound up needing urgent hernia surgery, so off to Minneapolis MN. to the Childrens Hospital . When we arrived I notice the doors were posted NO WEAPONS ALLOWED so I sent the nonwife and kids in while I went to lock my weapon in the car. Now normally I would just keep it concealed and go about my buisness but I knew I was going to be in there for at least 6-8 hrs and at some point I would have to take my light coat off and the last thing I wanted while my son was in surgery was a hassle.
I was walking down the sidewalk when a blue Dodge truck came haulin butt down the street with 3 men in it and 2 of them hollering profanities at me. I ignored them and kept my pace I turned the corner cut across the street into the alley were I was parked. I was just getting to my car when sure as shyte there's that dodge going by the other end of the alley and wouldn't you know it they spotted me. I saw one of them pointing at me the truck came to a fast stop they backed up and turned into the alley, at this point Im thinking here we go this is going to get ugly. I already had the door open and was leaning into the car putting my jacket away when the truck came to a stop about 50 ft away from me I could see the passenger nearest the door already had it open and was fixin to head my way then I heard the drivers door lock pop open at that point I stood up closed the door turned to face them at the same time I was moving for the far side of my car and had already placed my hand on my 1911. Well at that time the middle passenger apparently noticed my pistol because I clearly heard him say "HEY HE HAS A GUN TOO" and with that they all stopped and locked their eyes on my pistol. the far passinger looked up staring me straight in the eyes. I shook my head no at him , he slid back into the truck closed the door and they were headed in reverse down the alley. It seemed like it lasted 5 minutes but from the time they stopped until they threw it in reverse was maybe 30 seconds or so.
To me their intent was clear, and honestly at that moment I was certain I was going to have to draw and defend myself in that alley. To this day I can't believe they all stopped dead in their tracks just at the sight off my 1911.
I now OC most everywere I go.

Remember to be aware of your surroundings and try to be prepared.
Randy

silvia0073

I'm from St. Paul and open carry, not many of us out there. Grew up around here and have yet to see an OC'er but I must say, those who don't think OC deters crime has got to be high on something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2