• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member - Hello Everyone

PrestonW

Greetings everyone, I had just found this place a couple days ago and think it's great. I am a prior service member that moved down here in '05 to be with my wife and two kids, of whom I'm extremely protective over.

I have just purchased a S&W Model 6906, I had previously owned a couple firearms before but to make a long story short, I had to part with them [nothing illegal or such]. Even though I'm skilled in martial arts I feel a lot better having a full toolset again to protect those I love. I have been lurking around here reading all I can and figured it was just better to come out and introduce myself.

I have found the stories and information very useful and hope to be able to make it to the various meet-ups around my area. I plan to get my CHP soon, and haven't started to OC yet as I wanted to read up on all I could so I knew my rights.

Please excuse the bit of fragmented thoughts, it's late/early and been a long night, but wanted to let everyone know that there is another responsible member to hopefully help spread the good image.

J_Oliver

Welcome to OCDO! I hope you find everything you're looking for. Feel free to ask any questions, just make sure you search the forum first to make sure your question hasn't already been asked/answered elsewhere.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

PrestonW

Welcome to OCDO! I hope you find everything you're looking for. Feel free to ask any questions, just make sure you search the forum first to make sure your question hasn't already been asked/answered elsewhere.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I'm a top rate forum lurker and have high marks in search-fu. So far I have found everything I've been looking for and even convinced the wife that OCing isn't evil.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
...and even convinced the wife that OCing isn't evil.

Always a good thing. I even convinced (after a couple years) mine to get a CC permit. She carries a SR9c. She's cool with me OC'ing, but she prefers to CC (doesn't want to deal with the attention or risk having to verbally defend herself from an overzealous LEO).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PrestonW

Always a good thing. I even convinced (after a couple years) mine to get a CC permit. She carries a SR9c. She's cool with me OC'ing, but she prefers to CC (doesn't want to deal with the attention or risk having to verbally defend herself from an overzealous LEO).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Aye, I think so. She was the one to push to owning a gun again, just wasn't for OC so wasn't too hard to convince her. I've also taken the time to print out a few copies of the flyer stickied ontop of this forum to carry around with me when I'm OC.

Went out today and stop by one of the local gunshops and find a good holster for my lefty shooting ways, also managed to find another spare mag, so a good day.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Welcome! How do you like your 6906? I ordered a 5906 from CDNN Sports this weekend. They had them on sale for $300 which was less than half of what I've seen them go for. I've never used one, but have heard nothing but good stuff about them, so I hope it was a good purchase!

PrestonW

Welcome! How do you like your 6906? I ordered a 5906 from CDNN Sports this weekend. They had them on sale for $300 which was less than half of what I've seen them go for. I've never used one, but have heard nothing but good stuff about them, so I hope it was a good purchase!

Thank you, I'm loving the 6906. Fits my hands well and has a good weight, just feels natural to me. Put a box of 50 through her and going this weekend to put alot more downrange, only had one mag at the time and hand loading. It's been on my hip since getting a proper fitting holster for it and has been a good chance to drill gun safety into my family since I've been randomly asking each person to tell me the gun safety rules.

nobama

Welcome PrestonW. May I make a suggestion? I dont know whot kind of holster you have, but it might be a wise choice to get some sort of level 2 retention holster for OC. I also shool LH that is why I got a Glock because Blackhawk makes the level 2 holster in LH for the Glock. They may not make one for your gun but there are several leather holsters that have a thumb break level 2. I hope this helps and we are glad to have ya.

PrestonW

Welcome PrestonW. May I make a suggestion? I dont know whot kind of holster you have, but it might be a wise choice to get some sort of level 2 retention holster for OC. I also shool LH that is why I got a Glock because Blackhawk makes the level 2 holster in LH for the Glock. They may not make one for your gun but there are several leather holsters that have a thumb break level 2. I hope this helps and we are glad to have ya.

Thank you, the holster I found is a level 2 but thank you for the suggestion.

On a side note, that'll post over in the OC experience reports when I finish reading up on the thread. First time OCing today, was minor running around to pick up daughter and get food and fuel. Had one double take in Subway from the guy behind the counter but no comments or questions. I was prepared though, had a couple NC Gun Rights fliers in my back pocket.