• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which ccw recommended for WI residents

scorpio_vette

sorry if this was already answered somewhere, but i couldn't find it.

what other states CCW would be recommended, or the "best match" to go with the wisconsin CCW???

my wife is talking about possibly going to florida this summer on the bikes. now i know that i can't carry through IL no matter what, but otherwise i can carry all the way down to GA. but i can't enter florida armed. i also ride through ohio to visit a friend, and go to Minnesota a couple times a year.

and while riding, it would be nice to have the option to turn wherever i want, so which permits would i need to give me the mosts states the most efficiently???

Thanks.

Wolf1477

I have the WI CCL and the PA LTCF. I've been looking at the AZ non resident. $60 and from what I've read our hunter's ed course or a dd214 qualifies as proof of training. Only downside, gotta be fingerprinted, but, as I've been fingerprinted 4 times in my life already I doubt there's a database out there I'm not in anyways<g>

Best way I've found to quickly check what licenses work where is the interactive map at USA Carry ( http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html ).

Sorcice

So unless you visit other states, what is the point of getting an out of state lic? I suppose it doesn't hurt to have it just in case you ever take a road trip. Here's hoping national reciprocity goes through! I wonder if the national reciprocity would possible open doors for airline travel. I know I can check a dismantled gun but would be nice to carry on board.

Archangel

I wonder if the national reciprocity would possible open doors for airline travel. I know I can check a dismantled gun but would be nice to carry on board.

Civilian carry on a plane ain't gonna happen.... EVER. Unless it's YOUR plane.

Jus sayin.

Jason in WI

If you want to carry in Florida the a Florida permit will be a great addition. Utah is great too but it wont get you in Florida.

WI and Utah are a great combination at a good price but WI needs to get off it's butt and work out an agreement with Florida.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
So unless you visit other states, what is the point of getting an out of state lic? I suppose it doesn't hurt to have it just in case you ever take a road trip. Here's hoping national reciprocity goes through! I wonder if the national reciprocity would possible open doors for airline travel. I know I can check a dismantled gun but would be nice to carry on board.

There's no requirement that the gun be dismantled. Unloaded and in a locked hard-sided case is all it takes. And don't forget to declare it to the airline when you check in.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
If you want to carry in Florida the a Florida permit will be a great addition. Utah is great too but it wont get you in Florida.

WI and Utah are a great combination at a good price but WI needs to get off it's butt and work out an agreement with Florida.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

At one time I would have recommended the PA permit if you wanted to go the cheap route, because it's only ~25 bucks. It adds more states, but it's still a handful fewer than FL or UT. But now I believe PA requires you to apply in person at a Sheriff's office, unless the office is equipped to take electronically receive your picture and signature. Not sure which counties in PA are so equipped, but the most popular county, Centre County, says it is not able to do that. Another nice thing about PA is both my initial application and my renewal took under a week (by mail.)

jpm84092

If you want as much coverage as possible, you have to consider that FL, MI, NH, CO, SC, and ME only honor resident permits of the states they honor. CO, NH, and MI do not issue non-resident permits. SC will issue a non-resident permit but only if you own property in SC and pay taxes there. ME and FL will issue non-resident permits. So, if you want to visit FL, you will need a FL non-resident permit.

In my opinion, having WI, UT, AZ, and FL gives you the best coverage in the USA.

Yellow Cat Out -

apjonas

Since Wisconsin issues a Concealed Weapon License

should it be referred to as a "CWL"? Perhaps pronounced "seawall." This would be consistent with the Michigan CPL, Texas CHL, Arizona CWP or Utah CFP. I'm not so sure about going with a FL CWOFL (see-waffle?) or Minnesota PTCAP. CCW works as a generic but is not correct in cases like Minnesota and Indiana nor for pistol-only states. Comments?

protias

should it be referred to as a "CWL"? Perhaps pronounced "seawall." This would be consistent with the Michigan CPL, Texas CHL, Arizona CWP or Utah CFP. I'm not so sure about going with a FL CWOFL (see-waffle?) or Minnesota PTCAP. CCW works as a generic but is not correct in cases like Minnesota and Indiana nor for pistol-only states. Comments?

Look at the piece of plastic, it says Conceal Carry License.

apjonas

I Don't Have One to Look at

Look at the piece of plastic, it says Conceal Carry License.

but I'll take your word for it. That verbiage is not in the statute but was apparently an arbitrary choice by WI DoJ. The application form itself says "Concealed Weapon License" and the Act 35 refers to License to Carry Concealed Weapon. If the name is set forth in the law, then that should be used, if not then the most descriptive terminology beats the generic, less informative even if it is printed on the document. What rules of thumb would you recommend? If you referred to a Minnesota License to Carry a Pistol as a "CWL" or "CFP" - most people would understand what you meant but it still would be inaccurate. I just think its valuable to have standard reference points. The same is true of states which issue permits/licenses to people who reside in other states. Is a non-resident license what New Hampshire issues (which is physically different from what somebody in Concord would receive) or what Florida would send to a resident of Wisconsin - same as somebody in Coral Gables? A non-resident license (NR CHL) vs. a license issued to a non-resident (CHL (NR)). Or is this distinction only important if the procedures differs (e.g. VA)?

MKEgal

You can play with the "who honors my licenses" map creator here:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php
Bear in mind that WI is new & changing, so I wouldn't completely rely on what they say for WI.
(That being said, they're usually quite accurate.)

On top of what they say the WI license covers,
UT gets you Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Virginia, W Virginia, Ohio, Minnesota... Plus some more, which you probably wouldn't be near if travelling to FL.

Add Arizona to that & you get Kansas & S Carolina... Plus some more out west that you probably wouldn't be near if travelling to FL.

Once WI & FL work out an arrangement, FL should honor WI.

Here's info on the AZ rules. You already know a couple UT instructors. :D

protias

but I'll take your word for it. That verbiage is not in the statute but was apparently an arbitrary choice by WI DoJ. The application form itself says "Concealed Weapon License" and the Act 35 refers to License to Carry Concealed Weapon. If the name is set forth in the law, then that should be used, if not then the most descriptive terminology beats the generic, less informative even if it is printed on the document. What rules of thumb would you recommend? If you referred to a Minnesota License to Carry a Pistol as a "CWL" or "CFP" - most people would understand what you meant but it still would be inaccurate. I just think its valuable to have standard reference points. The same is true of states which issue permits/licenses to people who reside in other states. Is a non-resident license what New Hampshire issues (which is physically different from what somebody in Concord would receive) or what Florida would send to a resident of Wisconsin - same as somebody in Coral Gables? A non-resident license (NR CHL) vs. a license issued to a non-resident (CHL (NR)). Or is this distinction only important if the procedures differs (e.g. VA)?

Look at the bottom of this PDF, it has a copy of the CCL.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

nevinsb

Since this thread is already de-railed, wait until you carry a M4 onto a plane, and the TSA takes away your nail clippers because they may be used as a weapon.

bc.cruiser

Since this thread is already de-railed, wait until you carry a M4 onto a plane, and the TSA takes away your nail clippers because they may be used as a weapon.

Bet that plane was a charter if a not "gray-tail", and you didn't have any ammo. Did y'all have the bolts IN them?