• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Friendly Bank

ppardue1

I just took a new job and I figured now was a good time to close my account at Regions and set up an account at a new bank for my direct deposit. A friend of mine uses First Tennessee and reported that it was not posted, (he does not carry) but that they told him there was a federal law against carrying in a bank. :banghead:

Who do you use as your bank? I am in Loudon Co.

Then, of course, perhaps I am all wrong about this. You should see the prompt and attentive service I get when I walk into Regions with an empty holster.

SovereignAxe

I recently went through this and did a little shopping before finding a credit union to try out. I had originally wanted to open a checking account with Knoxville TVA Employees Credit Union because they financed my car (so I already have a savings account) and they're building a branch here in Johnson City. Before deciding to wait on it to be built I called the main number in Knoxville to see what their policy was there and they told me no guns allowed. Dunno if it'll be the same here, but I didn't bother waiting to find out.

So I ended up choosing Northeast Community Credit Union specifically because they didn't have their locales posted and nobody said anything when I opened my account a couple weeks ago.

I also bank at Suntrust and Carter County bank and neither of them are posted. Out of the three the only one I haven't OCed to is Suntrust, but I've been biding my time before OCing into Suntrust. I'm this || close to closing my accounts with them after getting a $17 service fee for having the upper tier checking account that I had. I've since downgraded that account, but I'm waiting to see how I like NCCU before dropping them completely. When I make my decision with NCCU I'm going to OC into Suntrust and if anyone says anything immediately ask to close my accounts.

So I can't speak for any of the credit unions in the Loudon Co area, but I suggest shopping around-that's what I did. Just drive up to the building and see if it has a sign. If not, walk in OCing and see what happens. Otherwise, Suntrust isn't a bad bank to deal with as long as you don't mind keeping the lowest tier checking account to escape the fees. In fact, their online banking system is actually pretty fantastic.

Fallschirjmäger

Suntrust for me.

I was just there this morning depositing two checks from independent contracting jobs.
I made out the deposit slip with a small withdrawal and then remembered I had left my driving license out in the car (where it stays unless needed), so I had to make a 2nd slip.
When I got to the window, I remarked "I'll have to go from here straight to the ATM and withdraw some money."
"Why not take money out of the deposit?"
"I left my driving license in the car, I have no identification documents to prove I'm me." (yes, I am pedantic sometimes :p)
"Oh, that's okay, we know who you are."
"I hope in a good way and not as in "Oh my god, here comes that weird guy who's always carrying a gun on his belt, hide everyone!"
"... well, you Are kinda known for carrying that, but you've always been extremely nice to everyone."
"Well.... 'it's what I do'." and we both laughed.

ppardue1

"Oh, that's okay, we know who you are."

It's funny you mention that. Regions once ran a transaction for me and the teller started to hand me the money.

"You didn't ID me in any way."
"Oh, its ok, I know you since you are in here all the time."
"I've never visited this branch before."

Needless to say, I wasn't pleased.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I had planned to "experiment" in the fashion that SovereignAxe recommended but wanted to narrow the field with your (collective) expertise.