• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definitions of places that 'charge admission...'

brutus1776

Im curious if anyone has any opinions on what exactly constitutes a place that charges admission.

example:
skating rink

i will be frequenting a skating rink as a spectator quite a lot in the near future. there isnt any 'no guns' signs. there is no charge to get into the building, however if you want to use the rink, you have to pay a fee. you can play pool, eat, spectate, etc without paying anything.

under state law are firearms (cc or oc) legal in this sort of venue by us mere mundane non LEO types?

attrapereves

For example, you can enter the lobby of a cinema, but in order to watch the film, you must pay. You can OC in the lobby, but not in the theater. You also have to pay to enter the state fair, so that constitutes admission. You are probably good to go at the skating rink.

NC-Heel

It has to be a place where you pay to enter. There, you are paying to skate. The key word would be admission. Are you given a ticket stub that says admit one. Probably not going to be allowed to open carry though.

Dreamer

Now, how about membership shopping clubs (Sam's, Costco, etc.)? With a few exceptions, only paying members are allowed inside.

In such a venue, you are paying for MEMBERSHIP in the organization, NOT for admission to the venue. If there were an admission charge, "guests" would have to "buck up" which they do not, if accompanied by a member.

However, IANAL, and my opinion is worth exactly as much as you paid for it...