• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kirby cleaners- door to door: scam, or potential threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCall

From my own experience they are legit door to door Kirby salesmen and they do work in groups, basically blanket a neighborhood in a day or two then move on. Not that some thugs could impersonate a salesman anyway. I have purchased a vacuum and the reason for the flyer without contact info is because they are VERY pushy and want to get in the house, set up the cleaner, demo it for you and then start working on you to buy one. These guys/gals are used carmen on steroids!

My brother-in-law sold these vacuums for a while a couple years ago. The way he told me it worked was like cyras21 wrote.

He also told me they didn't do background checks on the sales people.:exclaim:

Steeler-gal

Don't know if it was the same company but we had a carpet cleaning crew come around to our neighborhood recently. They ticked me off from the very beginning.

First they started out by blocking the tailend of our street and I couldn't get around their van to park. As I honked my horn and yelled that the street is not a parking spot 5 youth jumped out with clipboards and fliers. I immediately groaned (springtime in VA and the door-to-door sales annoyances have already begun).

Anyway I parked and waited until I thought they had passed my house before getting out of my car. I was OCing my Kahr. Two of them saw me and walked over. Gave me the carpet schpeel. I told them no and stated I don't like strangers in my home. They were quite persistent. I don't think they noticed my Kahr. I finally moved my hand and patted my Kahr and kindly said "No Thank You". The girl noticed and grabbed the other kid and they scurried on to their next sucker (I mean neighbor). I giggled on into my house. Yay

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Steeler-gal

A few years ago I talked to one young man outside my house for a while and noticed some odd writing on his name tag. He had a chaperone with him which seemed odd. I asked what it said. He gave me the name of the juvenile detention center where he "lived". Said he was out on work release project. I can't remember what all I said to him but I do recall saying something like "no offense but there's no way you're coming in my house now" and then sent them on their way.

They hire juvies and ex-cons for the sales canvassing because it's cheap labor and they just need to make as many sales as possible.

We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.

j4l

Well, like I said, I at first didnt think all that much of it, other than it was very odd, and that these folks were a bit too forward- trying to open up my gate like they were just going to waltz on in,etc. When I went out to them at my gate, looked at their flyer, and eyeballed them a bit , my instincts were to tell em "no thanks, you need to get going".
And they got in their van and left my street.
There are only 8 other neighbors out here. None of whom seemed to be home. Im home all the time during the weekdays, because I work from home. So, they approached the only person they saw at the time (middle of the day).
It wasnt until I saw them again, later that nite at the gas station as I passed it, that I thought much more of it, and it began bugging me.
To even get out to where I am, you have to drive 40-50 minutes into the countryside. There's squat-all out this way but farms. Early on in that 40+ min. drive, you have to pass roughly 6 or 7 sub-divisions full of potential customers. So why would you even bother coming all the way out here?
I dealt with the situation as I felt best at the time. I said no, and sent them on their way.
I figured I'd get a consenus -here- whether I was being overly cautious, or over-reacting, or not.
For all I know they could be perfectly legit, if lacking in common-sense, but the more I thought about it, the more odd the whole thing seemed.
6 folks to demonstrate a free carpet-cleaning? I dont think so. Not that Im inclined to let folks I dont know anyway.

If I am in need or desire of a service like this, I call a reputable outfit with which I am familair.
And, I in fact did so. I had my carpets cleaned yesterday, in fact, by a professional service I'd used in the past.
They sent 2, young but professional lads over, who did a great job. I OC'd the entire time they were there, and supervised them when they were in my home. They had no issue with this, at all, and one admitted he does the same whenever he has any contract or service work done in his home, as well.

Steeler-gal

To even get out to where I am, you have to drive 40-50 minutes into the countryside. There's squat-all out this way but farms. Early on in that 40+ min. drive, you have to pass roughly 6 or 7 sub-divisions full of potential customers. So why would you even bother coming all the way out here?
I dealt with the situation as I felt best at the time. I said no, and sent them on their way.
I figured I'd get a consenus -here- whether I was being overly cautious, or over-reacting, or not.
For all I know they could be perfectly legit, if lacking in common-sense, but the more I thought about it, the more odd the whole thing seemed.
6 folks to demonstrate a free carpet-cleaning? I dont think so. Not that Im inclined to let folks I dont know anyway.

If I am in need or desire of a service like this, I call a reputable outfit with which I am familair.

I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression. I think you handled the situation fine. If I ever get my windows replaced or carpet cleaned its not going to be from a door-to-door salesman. It's hard to tell if their legit or casing neighborhoods to see who is home during the day.

j4l

I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression. I think you handled the situation fine. If I ever get my windows replaced or carpet cleaned its not going to be from a door-to-door salesman. It's hard to tell if their legit or casing neighborhoods to see who is home during the day.

No, not at all. Wasnt in any way directing that at you, or anyone specific. Was just clarifying for folks who did question why I didnt immediately dial 911 and go into Mall-Ninja mode, or whatever.
I originally posted just to see if anyone else had heard of potential scams/home-invasions or whatever using this sales-bit as a ruse to get in,etc.

WOD

Sounds like Travellers to me, they aren't on the up n up, but they aren't known for violent crime. They do use cheap materials, and do poor work, that is the biggest complaint against them. These groups are all over the place, all over the country, and are very closed off from the general public. They are scammers, but chasing them off is usually the best method of dealing with them. You did what you felt you needed to do to protect your own, doesn't matter much what we think... after the fact.

Steeler-gal

I don't know if anyone asked but i am curious would the police do anything if you called them?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I don't know if anyone asked but i am curious would the police do anything if you called them?
As always, it depends on the jurisdiction. In general, no. If the community/jurisdiction requires a peddlers' license and/or trespass notice given, then a CSO would likely investigate.

The OP was of "Kirby carpet cleaning" that has nothing to do with Berkshire-Hathaway's Kirby division of Fetgzer's company.

j4l

As always, it depends on the jurisdiction. In general, no. If the community/jurisdiction requires a peddlers' license and/or trespass notice given, then a CSO would likely investigate.

The OP was of "Kirby carpet cleaning" that has nothing to do with Berkshire-Hathaway's Kirby division of Fetgzer's company.

Correct. The other outfit mentioned ^I do not know about.
And, these folks claimed to have been from Kirby cleaning, I have no idea whether that is actually the case, or if that was their ruse, or what. The complete lack of any kind of brand-naming on the flyer, no contact info or anything else actually SAYING Kirby on it, is part of what struck me as odd from the beginning.

j4l

Just tell them you don't have any carpet because your house is all hardwood and tile. Then dismiss them.

Lol, actually I should have. Most of my house is indeed wood and tile..:banghead:

Reminds me though, of an amusing one-
Some years back I lived in an apartment complex-and was working nights at the hospital.
During the day, when trying to get sleep, I kept getting hammered with telemarketing calls for a semi-local Vinyl Siding company... Every day Id answer, tell them im not interested, and to stop calling. But every day they'd call, after promising to remove me from their call lists.
Finally I got fed up, and said, "sure, come on out and give me an estimate" then gave them my address...
They came all the way out, only to see what I'd been telling them all along- THAT ITS AN APT. BLDG. !
They were a bit irate about going all the way out to me, but I told them-next time listen to what Im telling you.
Never called me again, after that.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Just tell them you don't have any carpet because your house is all hardwood and tile. Then dismiss them.
If the "Kirby carpet cleaners" have any business sense, they'll turn your address over to the Kirby Sentria Vacuum cleaner sales thugs, that's what the Sentria specializes in - a convertible carpet/hard floor cleaner/vacuum. And it is sold new only door to door demonstration - $1300.

Consumer Reports recommends the Sentria highly. The BBB has a zillion complaints for the sales tactics.

My 900 square foot cottage is regularly featured on our local homes tours, which is to say it is elegant, well used and kept immaculately clean. As my Hoover vacuum and Hoover carpet cleaner are about worn-out, I'm seriously considering Kirby Sentria. The bathroom is tile, the kitchen and scullery are laminate-flooring and the remainder are carpeted in Berber and cut-pile.

Freedom1Man

I talked to a professional thief once. He described his tactic to be similar to how those in the van to have acted.

He would dress up nice and knock on doors and talk to people claiming to be collecting for some charity or another. If someone answered the door that was his sale. He even had fliers and business cards. Then if no one answered the door he would simply break in and empty the place.

For people in yards he would sell his charity thing and if they were busy he would ask for a better time to come back.

He looked totally legit, dressed, and played the part.

So, telling them to pound sand and not come back after getting a bogus flyer like that was prudent.

Yiteurp

had a simular experience , the reason for the van load is to blanket the neighborhood several sales pitches at the same time. The reason for the blank or limited flyer is they dont want you to research. my wife / GF at the time fell for it and let them in. this was about 10 years ago and if I recall correctly the girl told us it was $2,000 for a sweeper .. we told her to get out

MyWifeSaidYes

This is probably a legitimate sales blanketing tactic. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts both use it for selling popcorn and cookies. But the Scouts are not allowed to enter your home.

The problem is there is no way to know the background or true intentions of the individual(s) arriving at your door.

I don't allow certain family members into my house. Why would I allow a door-to-door salesperson in, let alone more than one?

We have the Internet. If I want something, I'll go find it. If it's only sold in person, I might invite you over.

But I'll be ready for you! :D

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I worked for Electrolux many years ago. They didn't even send us door to door. The office I worked for had telemarketers that would call and offer either free or low cost carpet cleaning. That was how they got you into the house. After that, it was up to you to make a sale, of either the vacuum cleaner, the carpet cleaner, or ideally, both. But we had business cards, flyers and everything. Ever since then, I never trust anyone without a business card. And even then, I can't afford it. :)

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
This is how to buy a Kirby: Click Here

On that note, I have two vacuum cleaners. One is a Red Devil canister vac that has lasted 21 years and through 9 moves, all parts intact. The one thing I did at the first screech from the main bearing, back in 1992, was shut it off and spray Rusty Duck into the bearing.

It hasn't screeched since.

j4l

This is how to buy a Kirby: Click Here

On that note, I have two vacuum cleaners. One is a Red Devil canister vac that has lasted 21 years and through 9 moves, all parts intact. The one thing I did at the first screech from the main bearing, back in 1992, was shut it off and spray Rusty Duck into the bearing.

It hasn't screeched since.

See there, now THAT's the sort of thing I was looking for from them- a card, a web url, etc. something with some form of contact info. Their reluctance, no..refusal, to provide such sent even more alarm bells ringing for me. Even the bogus "flyer" ad they showed me, but were unwilling to let me keep -had ZERO reference to Kirby, or any contact info, whatsoever.So, I promptly sent them on their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.