• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doctors office and CVS encounters kind of

xd_45

I've been reading this website for quite so time now but final registered. I've never really had any encounters in the 9 months I've been carrying besides the obvious questions we all get until the other day. The one at the doctors office made me smile but the one at CVS had me a little weirded out.

First off I always open carry my XD45 in a Serpa holster unless I'm at the mall which I just usually pull my jacket or shirt over it. Well I walk into the doctors office holding my 4 month son in his carseat in my left hand ( I'm a righty) and walk up to the counter to check in. While I'm walking to go have a seat I over hear a older lady in her 90's say "oh my he has a gun". Then the lady sitting next to her ( obviously her daughter) says " he probably has a permit and can carry almost everywhere in Indiana". It gave me a good feeling that some people know the laws. I looked over at both of them and just smiled.

Then an hour later at CVS I'm walking around the store killing time while we are waiting for them to fill our meds when I hear them call my wife's name. I slowly walk close enough to see her talking with the pharmacist about the meds for our son. Right behind her I see another customer (leather jacket, shaved head, flame tattoos up the back of his head, black and white bandana folded and wrapped just above his eye brows, jean) waiting in line getting a huffy because my wife has a few questions. I start walking closer to her and now I'm about 20 feet from her and me and the other guy made eye contact. I could tell he was sizing me up until he saw my gun on my hip and his attitude changed. Instead of pacing back and forth making noises he just stood there and never looked back at me.

Finally another pharmacist came up and helped him out. I heard him ask where the restrooms where and she pointed them out for him. The location would put him walking directly past me by a few feet. As he was walking towards me on my strong side and his eyes never left my gun. When he was a few yards from me I slowly turned to not allow him to get close to my side. After he got past me I moved over near a corner to be able to see the restroom hallway. After a few minutes he exits the restroom and looks over at me pauses but walks out the store.

It weirded me out that he would not stop looking at my gun. I figured I handled it pretty well and went on about my business. I told my wife later about it because he was making her nervous when he was behind her. She was wondering what made him calm down and I told her and she was relieved.

Well that's all I got so far.

Gil223

Interesting story XD, and it sounds like you did everything right. Some folks just fixate on a handgun if they can see it, and they do so with different levels of interest. Some just find it odd to see another person OC'ing (inasmuch as it is not a common practice among the general population). There are some who are actually concerned, if not somewhat distressed about it. Others are firearms owners and are simply trying to determine what make/model it might be, and then there are those few who have ill-intentions. As you described this yahoo, (and judging a book by it's cover), it sounds like he could have been one of the last category. You didn't know him, and IMHO your situational awareness regarding his possible intent - and your preemptive action - were both well justified. :) Pax...

HankT

State Researcher
Right behind her I see another customer (leather jacket, shaved head, flame tattoos up the back of his head, black and white bandana folded and wrapped just above his eye brows, jean) waiting in line getting a huffy because my wife has a few questions. I start walking closer to her and now I'm about 20 feet from her and me and the other guy made eye contact. I could tell he was sizing me up until he saw my gun on my hip and his attitude changed. Instead of pacing back and forth making noises he just stood there and never looked back at me.

Finally another pharmacist came up and helped him out. I heard him ask where the restrooms where and she pointed them out for him. The location would put him walking directly past me by a few feet. As he was walking towards me on my strong side and his eyes never left my gun. When he was a few yards from me I slowly turned to not allow him to get close to my side. After he got past me I moved over near a corner to be able to see the restroom hallway. After a few minutes he exits the restroom and looks over at me pauses but walks out the store.

It weirded me out that he would not stop looking at my gun. I figured I handled it pretty well and went on about my business. I told my wife later about it because he was making her nervous when he was behind her. She was wondering what made him calm down and I told her and she was relieved.

Honestly, the bald guy with the leather jacket and tatoos in a CVS getting a prescription filled who was looking at your gun doesn't really seem as suspicious as you apparently think he was.

How do you know he was "sizing [you] up" while he was waiting? What was he "sizing [you] up" for, do you reckon?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I've been reading this website for quite so time now but final registered. I've never really had any encounters in the 9 months I've been carrying besides the obvious questions we all get until the other day. The one at the doctors office made me smile but the one at CVS had me a little weirded out.

<snip>

Right behind her I see another customer (leather jacket, shaved head, flame tattoos up the back of his head, black and white bandana folded and wrapped just above his eye brows, jean) waiting in line getting a huffy because my wife has a few questions. I start walking closer to her and now I'm about 20 feet from her and me and the other guy made eye contact. I could tell he was sizing me up until he saw my gun on my hip and his attitude changed. Instead of pacing back and forth making noises he just stood there and never looked back at me.

Stereotypes aside, are you sure he wasn't simply displaying good (if very obvious) situational awareness in keeping an eye out for any indication you weren't as trustworthy with that gun as you think you appeared? I'd think it quite possible he was concealing and hoping he didn't have to draw. If he isn't used to seeing OC, this attitude would not surprise me.